V11 tyres?

The Pilgrim

The bike handles really well.  It does eat up rear tires.  I think a 160 would quicken turn in, which is outstanding now, especially with the wide Pro Taper bars.  So I am not sure why it would be better.

"It comes down to using a tire that is made to fit the rim size you have. It has nothing to do with Guzzi and everything to do with who made the tire and what size rim they made it to fit."

If you have a 4.5" rear rim a 160 mounted to that rim will have the correct profile and the best contact patch because that is the size rim that tire is made for. Better handling and better traction. A 170 tire mounted on a 4.5" rim is not mounted on the size rim the tire was made for and as such the profile of the tire is wrong and the contact patch is reduced.

If you have a 4.5" rear rim a 160 rear tire was made specifically to fit that size rim and a 170 was not.

+1: 4.5 inch rim: 160 profile tire.

The change from the 170 helped tame *some* of the RedFrame squirm for me.

160! I went 170 from 180 on the bigger rim & got much nicer, linear feel to handling - more consistent transition on turning - all reports I've heard are earlier bikes with 4.5" rim benefit same by going to 160 from 170. Guzzi wouldn't have used 170 if it wasn't an acceptable fit on rim. Check tyre/rim charts - different sizes will fit - but there's a sweet spot. My guess is that Guzzi went for the bigger permissable sizes for fashion rather than function.

I'll have to try the 160 next time.  (Since I already ordered the 170).  I am not sure what the "redframe squirm" is.

I know Rocker likes the 160 on his Sport 1100.

Started out with Bridgestone BT014/023 combination.

Got offered some Pirelli's cheap when having just got a second set of wheels. Found them better.

Just switched to Mich RoadPilot II. Only done a shake down ride and Trackday on them so far, but they install the most confidence of the three mentioned.

I never got on with the Pilot Road 2s on my TDM.  It didn't want to turn in comparison to the Conti Road Attacks I had on previously.  When I changed tyres, I found out why.  The 160 PR2 was the same width as the 180 Pirelli fitted to my V11! I went back to a Conti next change and all was righted in my world.  The Conti works quite well on the V11 too, but they don't last that long and do square off quickly if doing a lot of upright riding. 

Roadsmarts were fitted when I bought the Café Sport. The rear was not as planted as I like, especially in quick transitions side to side. The front was average, handling wise. A set of Michelin Pilot road 2 came with the purchase so those went on. OK for 8000 miles then greasy, especially when cold. Also needed constant pressure on the grip to keep a line in the corners. Avon Storm 2 Ultra has been my choice on the Sport 1100 and Benelli 1130 so went the Café. Best tire I've ever used. The Benelli went through 2 Q2s in less than 8000 miles but now gets 8k on one Avon rear. (Over 90 ft lb and 135 hp at the wheel. 9000 rpm) Keep the pressure up for long life.

• Like 1

rr... yeah but depending on ones style of riding, pressure up means a cooler tyre = crash easier, same with any tyre that lasts the distance hard compound = crash (again all depending on ones style and speed)

at the end of the day if its round n black and keeps ya arse off the hard shit its working

Another reason to like the Avons is they actually tested them on a V11 and will give you a warranty on them as a result.