V11 tyres?

The Pilgrim

Hey, guys, New to Forum AND New to Guzzis' :notworthy:

Can anyone tell me what tyres are working on the V11 Sport? bike is '02. thanks in advance.

G.

I like the Pirelli Angels.

Todd Egan (RacerX) says Q2s are the hot setup for V11s. Haven't tried them, though.

A lot guys in the Sport-touring world have Michelin PR2CT's which I'm on my second set.Great grip in wet and decent wear.When I burn through these I'm gonna try the new Pirelli Angels GT.A lot of the heavy weight ST people are using them.Always looking for longer wear.

• Like 1

A 2002 Sport? That could be a 1999-2001 version with 4.5" rear rim delivered with 170/60-17 or the "next gen" with 5.5" and a 180 section.

So many have discovered that dropping a section size for their rim width gives better handling, that tire size may be more important than the specific brand.

That said, I do like the Angels.

I have Michelin Road pilot IIs, the dealer talked me into putting one size larger on the rear.

I can't say I'm happy with the rear tire, it's ok in the dry but on a wet road it locks up and

skitters with the slightest application of rear brake.

Yeah, first step is establishing which size rear rim yours has.

From there, many people go down one size from stock on the rear width wise for better handling.

As far as brand, that depends on what you want, what you like, and what you can afford.

I find the Pirelli's are good when you can't afford Michelin or Dunlop. But nowadays there are plenty of other options that do well, like the Conti's. Personally I prefer Michelins when I can afford them. Dual compound is/should be standard practice if you want mileage AND grip.

Cheers for replies lads :thumbsup:

Bike currently has a 180 Michelin Macaddam 100 on.

I know the 90's were standard on 1200 Bandits, and Blackbirds so cant be bad?

My bike has the 5.5 rim and i would be looking for a Sport Touring tyre so thanks for giving me something to go on :grin:

With the 5.5" rear rim you can stick with the stock 180 size or step down to a 170. The 170 should improve the steering giving it a lighter feel, easier to roll over on the side of the tire. The fatter tire typically slows down the steering, gives a more stable feel but has less rubber on the road when leaned over.

I believe the Macadam's are long since obsolete. At least here. I would go with a nicer set of tires, preferably something that offers dual compounds for better wear without sacrificing grip. But that is up to you.

Asking for opinions on tires can be worse then oil. Everybody has their own likes and dislikes.

PS. Be sure to actually check the rim for width and not base it on the published specs. Guzzi had a habit of using the parts they had on hand whether they were the right ones or not.

So, still some question, then: what is a 2002 "Sport?"

Has handlebars (not "clip-ons)? Headlight and instruments mounted to the frame (not the forks?)  There are braces coming forward of the side plates to the lower rear of the engine?  More smooth semi-gloss (or fuzzy, bubbly flat) black engine paint)?

That would all make for a second generation frame and the 5.5" rear rim with a more "relaxed" steering geometry. Any of the good sport-touring tyres will serve well. Again, a lighter, quicker feel with the 170.

So, still some question, then: what is a 2002 "Sport?"

Has handlebars (not "clip-ons)? Headlight and instruments mounted to the frame (not the forks?)  There are braces coming forward of the side plates to the lower rear of the engine?  More smooth semi-gloss (or fuzzy, bubbly flat) black engine paint)?

That would all make for a second generation frame and the 5.5" rear rim with a more "relaxed" steering geometry. Any of the good sport-touring tyres will serve well. Again, a lighter, quicker feel with the 170.

As described docc! :thumbsup:   Thanx.

Hey, guys, New to Forum AND New to Guzzis' :notworthy:

Can anyone tell me what tyres are working on the V11 Sport? bike is '02. thanks in advance.

G.

round n black mate... they work well

ie all tyre's work dont they? personal choice as said above, Metzler Z8 (sport tour) for me, over winter a M3 (sport compound) on the front.

For my 2x V11:

#1: V11 KS LeMans Tenni built 2002
** Rim:
front: Brembo Aluminium 3,5 x 17"
rear: Brembo Aluminium  5,5 x 17"

** Tyre size:
front: 120/70 ZR17 M/C 58W
rear: 180/55 ZR17 M/C 73W

** Tyre types:
before = Michelin Pilot Road 2
now = ContiRoadAttack2

===================================