2003 V11 Sport Naked - serial number one?

chamberlin

Coppa Café . . . . :lol:  :D  :D  - I like it!

Great color. Reminds me of the "black" on the early 1100Sport-i which is really more bronze with a complex metal flake - also almost impossible to photograph.

Thanks docc, I was hoping to get a positive response on the color - I wasn't so sure on the theme ideas :mg:  Maybe Coppa Café would be apropos? This is all in good fun eh! I guess I'll have to switch from Vodka to Java! Never been a coffee drinker :)

Nice colour... As you say, classy! Rocker covers to be the same or different would you say?

Appreciate it Andy!  Since I have an actual new rocker box cover from the Coppa Italia/Café Sport, as well as an 'in the raw" cover, I definitely want to keep the original paint on the cover I have, and paint the bare cover to match exactly (or, find another supplier for a second OEM bronze cover). I really don't want to paint the rocker covers with the same Lexus paint as the tank/fender/seat cover. I like the matte finish of the OEM covers set against the glossy tank.

Love those gauges!

Thanks Guy! I hope they perform as well as they look (and as much as they cost!).  BTW, did you get my emails from around new years or more recently a couple days ago? I managed to get the ignition set from Italy, but I am desperate for a new starter/kill switch (pattern part OK). I sent you an email about it.

If you clear coat the body work, but not the valve covers- they will be the same 'color' but with a different lustre . .

Docc, I actually don't mind the different color shades (and finishes) of the covers versus the tank color...it's kinda the charm of the V11 series, no?....plus, I definitely couldn't get myself to paint over the original Coppa/Cafe bronze color!  I *could* repaint my original grey covers, but I am now trying to save all the original pieces as-is...I'm also attempting to get a used tank and used plastics to use, so I can leave the originals alone...but that's certainly not a cheap route!

More goodies today!

New choke/fast idle control to replace the sun damaged one (I didn't even know there were graphics on this lever until I got the new one!)

2014-02-01153301_zpsb87e12e2.jpg

Choke lever installed, left side controls complete, just need the new starter/kill!

2014-02-01161543_zpsc490823b.jpg

Original decals for the gas tank for when the time comes to repaint:
2014-02-01144503_zps27285cdd.jpg

Sun faded gauge holder, versus new one:
2014-02-01144359_zpsaa737ad7.jpg

The handle bar controls are finally complete!

2014-02-16102356_zps218f8217.jpg

Picked up (a very expensive) spare front fender, so I can use this one for the repaint instead of the original grey (going to keep the tank and all original bodywork untouched and store them).

2014-02-16110856_zps47293038.jpg

Went for broke today, my painting experiment to try to match the Coppa Italia cover....hahahaha yea right. My plan was to spray-mix these two colors after an etching primer coat on the bare aluminum rocker cover.

Here is the result (see previous posts for photos of the bare cover, I forgot to shoot a photo before painting it).

2014-02-16144559_zpsbb8a6ded.jpg

Came out pretty good, but didn't even come close to matching the Coppa Italia/Cafe Sport cover (on bottom of photo):

2014-02-16142222_zpsf533a6b9.jpg

2014-02-16142145_zpsec65717d.jpg

2014-02-16142045_zpsec03d56f.jpg

Since I could not match the Coppa cover, I was really torn as to paint over the original bronze finish...BUT, I paid good money for the damn thing so I finally decided to paint it to match. I actually like my mix-combo

paint colors a bit better than the original, and I like the matte/sparkle finish too. Hope it holds up to heat and the weather.

If you can't beat em, join 'em. The only way to tell the difference now, is that the Coppa cover had a thick coat of original finish which filled up the "MOTO GUZZI" and rounded the edges. The bare cover has more defined edges because of this.

2014-02-16150322_zps63dad814.jpg

I like the 'new' covers! I'll bet they'll look great on the bike. Er,  . . . you are going to put this bike back together? Someday?

Consider a quality satin clear coat for the valve covers for durability. Like Eatswood DiamondClear.

thanks docc! I am familiar with Eastwood's products...I will look into that satin clear coat... Gauges are going in tonight, then the wiring fun begins. So it's going back together, just a lot slower than I want! I still have a bunch of parts coming over in the boat, then the painting process, building up a new custom tail light/license plate holder, fluids/brakes, and I'm sure a hundred other things along the way!

Eastwood diamond clear matte is on the way docc! Here's a photo with gauges mounted. Also repainted the light housing and replaced the aluminum gauge mount. All original lights will work, except the old backlights (4 bulbs) were removed from the loom. Speedhut speedo will duplicate turn and hi-beam. Wiring is almost done...might have to invoke the help of Kiwi but so far so good. I'm scared about the ECU tachometer line directly feeding the SpeedHut. It says to install a 4.7k resistor from +12 ACC to the tach feed to allow direct ECU connection...but the instructions are assuming automotive computers, not Italian motorcycle ECUs!

2014-02-19181857_zps67489ff2.jpg

Thanks for the tip on the Eastwood Diamond Clear docc! I will be spraying these tomorrow!

2014-02-22181357_zps86848295.jpg

In my quest for keeping all of this bike's original body parts un-touched, I have secured a new rear cowl, pillion cover, front fender (seen in a previous post), and even

a new gas tank. Found them all from a guy in Italy. Only took 13 days to get here. The tank is from a green-grey Ballabio I think. The rear cowl is from a red sport naked.

Not sure where the pillion cover is from, but it is a slightly different grey than my original cover. The gas tank is scratched all to hell, but the damage seems superficial.

Hopefully there are no surprises when we prep for paint.

2014-02-22181608_zpsbb3c0683.jpg

2014-02-22181627_zpsf5a5f574.jpg

2014-02-22181716_zps6972feb4.jpg

Let there be light! Finally got the gauge cluster wired up. But of course all new problems arose. Neutral light isn't working. Bulb is good and relay is good (shorted neutral sensor wire to chassis and got a green) so sensor seems to be a problem. Pulled the sensor quickly to inspect the plunger, but dumped a decent amount of tranny fluid....looked pretty dark. I am just going to dump it all and refill. What kind of gear oil do you guys use? I like Royal Purple 75W90... what's best for these bikes? Are the neutral switches repairable? What are the chances there is a mechanical failure inside the tranny?

I hooked up the fuel pump and raised the kickstand, and was able to fire up the pump, get a low fuel light (dim), turn over the motor, and the oil pressure went out....so that stuff is looking good. Turn signals work good too (although no blinking, I assume because the rears are not installed?). Brights worked as expected too.

2014-02-23183618_zpse09ecd5b.jpg

Mounted some new turn signals on the original stems (stem spacers removed) but had to modify the flange nuts to accommodate the tight space: A rubber washer helped to clock the lights, since I couldn't tighten it on the nut side.

2014-02-23164734_zps122fd3f7.jpg
2014-02-23164625_zps7d5d39b6.jpg