2003 V11 Sport Naked - serial number one?

chamberlin

The neutral light might respond to a good cleaning. Something like mineral spirits and work it in and out repeatedly. You can test it off the bike with an Ohm meter from the connection to the body. It could be as simple as cleaning the spade connector with a spray cleaner and crimping it for a tight fit. Seal the boot well with Vaseline since it rides in the weather.

Some have reported better switch function with RedLine ShockProof. I like the "Lightweight" for the gearbox. Looks like a blue milkshake in the sight glass!

(Those clocks are freakin' gorgeous!)

Thanks docc! That's my plan right now, just clean the crap out of it. There definitely was some dissimilar metal corrosion going on on the contact, but doubtful it is my culprit...hope it's an easy fix!

Appreciate the tips on the fluid too...I used some Redline stuff in my (former) BMWs as well.  :thumbsup:

So, chamberlin, on another thread (earemike/ "Finally fitted my replacement gauges"), Andy York asks:

"That looks really top notch. I looked at the speed hut gauges  after Kiwi Roy did his. Yours is about what I was going to do 

but I swear I read where the gauges were not water proof. Are yours? That was the reason I did not do it.

I sometimes get caught in a real frog strangler and would hate to ruin the gauges."

What's your take on this? Are the SpeedHut waterproof?

Hahaha I was going to post on earemike's gauge report tonight...and apparently there are some blokes here who aren't actually following my build thread! :huh2:  LOL :grin: 

When ordering SpeedHut gauges for motorcycles, you need to instruct them to silicone them during assembly. They're still not going to be IP65 rated or anything, but it's better than nothing. I may give a few extra dabs of silicone sealer on the wire hole grommets once everything is tidied up. With the fairing installed and good 'ole Arizona dryness, I hope these will last the life of the bike. Bottom line, great company to deal with.

• 3 weeks later...

Now I can pull the neutral switch, since I have some Redline to replace the old lubricants with! Although, the switch appears to be working correctly now....big green light last time I switched on the ignition. But I'll still pull it anyways for a looksee.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Redline Docc - I hope this stuff is OK for the tranny. Howabout for the final drive bevel box?

Red-Line V-Twin all synthetic transmission oil with Shockproof:

2014-03-21181242_zps14d36e80.jpg

Custom plate just arrived! Registered the bike for the full 5 year maximum, with any luck, I'll be doing it again in 2019!

I tried all different kinds of custom names, but most were taken or don't fit on an AZ motorcycle plate. I really wanted "111111" but that's too many characters.

Not much personalization you can do with five whopping characters, but here's what I got:

2014-03-21181212_zps51555f40.jpg

• Like 1

Funny enough yesterday I had just posted that the "V-twin w/ Shockproof" is apparently the same as the "Heavy w/ Shockproof". This seems to be a real popular gear oil 'round here not to mention seemingly fixes most everything V11 related.

Nice plate BTW.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Redline Docc - I hope this stuff is OK for the tranny. Howabout for the final drive bevel box?

There you go. It even says "with Shockproof." Is it pink like the Heavyweight or blue like the lightweight?

I've only used the blue Lightweight in my gearbox, but others have used the Heavy.

The heavyweight is RedLine's recommendation for the rear drive application. I used it for years, but habitually overfilled the capacity. I'll always believe that contributed to seal problems I developed. Be aware that a tremendous amount of this lubricant clings to the internals and overfilling is easy.

With the relatively high capacity of the V11 rear drive, I'm inclined to leave the volume a little low (maybe 20-50 ml) in hopes I never have to see the inside of it again.

There you go. It even says "with Shockproof." Is it pink like the Heavyweight or blue like the lightweight?

I've only used the blue Lightweight in my gearbox, but others have used the Heavy.

The heavyweight is RedLine's recommendation for the rear drive application. I used it for years, but habitually overfilled the capacity. I'll always believe that contributed to seal problems I developed. Be aware that a tremendous amount of this lubricant clings to the internals and overfilling is easy.

With the relatively high capacity of the V11 rear drive, I'm inclined to leave the volume a little low (maybe 20-50 ml) in hopes I never have to see the inside of it again.

Hi Docc, I just opened the bottle and it's pink. It looks like Redline Water Wetter mixed with Pepto-bismal! And it smells nasty!

Sounds like I should order another quart so I can do the rear-drive too....I can't remember what the capacities are at the moment, but I'l check the FAQ before ordering another. I have a bit of Royal Purple Synchromax 75W90, but it's probably not a good idea to mix lubes. I heard about the filling problem with the rear end...the liquid likes to trace the gears and shoot out of the over-fill hole, making it look like it's full, but it's really not. I will do my best to not over-fill.

Funny enough yesterday I had just posted that the "V-twin w/ Shockproof" is apparently the same as the "Heavy w/ Shockproof". This seems to be a real popular gear oil 'round here not to mention seemingly fixes most everything V11 related. Nice plate BTW.

Oh yea! I see your followup post on your gearbox leak thread... good to know it's just the marketing department at work, and that the fluid specs for Heavy w/ Shockproof are the same for the V-Twin stuff I just got.

p.s. thanks for the good words on the plate!

FWIW, IMHO, and FWIR (from what I've read), combining quality lubricants of the correct (or even close) specification is not likely to bring the moon down into the Caribbean . . .

FWIW, IMHO, and FWIR (from what I've read), combining quality lubricants of the correct (or even close) specification is not likely to bring the moon down into the Caribbean . . .

I wouldn't think so myself! Thanks for your input as always. You just never know these days, with the special additives, and various metals in the gearboxes/motors these days, that there's always that chance of a nasty chemical reaction over time.

. . .  over time.

Good case for those service intervals. By the time something gathers itself up, it's at the recycler!

Hahaha I was going to post on earemike's gauge report tonight...and apparently there are some blokes here who aren't actually following my build thread! :huh2:  LOL :grin:

Great Thread! I love what you are doing.  Keep up the great work!

Now, about those gauges.... Tell us please! Have you been able to test them out?

Great Thread! I love what you are doing. Keep up the great work!

Now, about those gauges.... Tell us please! Have you been able to test them out?

Unfortunately not! More delays....I am at a new fork in the road...I just found a brand new grey spare tank in Europe, so I now I have the option to buy that tank and keep the original paint scheme...and to boot, I'm having really crappy luck with non-responsive motorcycle painting companies. If I do get the new tank however, I could have the whole thing back together fairly quickly and start riding this spring! I'd still have a whole set of body parts to paint at a later date if I so choose. Bottom line, still a ways away from a full review of the speedhut gauges. Thanks for your comments and for following the build!

• 4 weeks later...

Love all the work you've been doing, your bike is looking cherry. I am very much looking forward to the next update. You make me feel somewhat vindicated/less crazy for being ambitious about fixing/cleaning/restoring/modifying the crap out of my bike. Cheers!  :bier: