Sorting out a multiple-owner 2003 LeMans

Scud

You've gotta know that the RedFrame must be a true tart to push that gorgeous RedDress out of the house . . . :sun:

She's a looker all right. The kind of girl that could make you lose your happy home.

You've gotta know that the RedFrame must be a true tart to push that gorgeous RedDress out of the house . . . :sun:

She's a looker all right. The kind of girl that could make you lose your happy home.

Maybe she'd look good where an MZ currently lives? She liked her last trip to the Santa Monica Mountains.

I have those rotors on my lemans and some sintered pads, good combo.

I used the EBC HH pads, which I think is the same. That's what Gordon at MG Cycle recommended, and where I sourced the pads and rotors. The brakes are butter-smooth now.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Sad to say, my time with the LeMans has come to an end. She really didn't want to leave. As soon as I talked about trading her for a Ducati 1000SS she broke a shift spring. Fixed that and another interesting trade opportunity came up.

And look at the poor girl, trying to tell me something on the way to Yuma this morning.

IMG_7137.jpg

But she has found a good new home near Phoenix, AZ.

We made the trade in Yuma, AZ today - both rode out in the morning, did the paperwork for both bikes, and both rode back home.

IMG_7138.jpg

The Ducati ST3 is a fabulous bike. I think we're going to get along just fine. And my BMW K75s is now in search of a new home.

• Like 1

Fabulous water-cooled motor with 3-valve heads. Quite a bit more powerful than a V11 and quite a bit lighter. It makes cool whirring sounds with engine braking. Everything just seems spot-on, fueling, brakes, suspension. I rode about 450 miles today. To Yuma on the LeMans, and back on the ST3. The ST would beat the V11 on any objective performance measure, but the V11 still has the advantage in the subjective arena for me. Being lighter, and having a full fairing an bags, the ST is a little more susceptible to side winds. The ST has a fuel gauge that reads empty and lights up the low fuel warning light at about 1/2 tank... made me laugh. The ST is comfortable too - I think I am not as tired as I would have been if I did all 450 miles on the LeMans. But to be fair, I also took a longer mid-day break than I normally do.

• Like 1

They are great bikes.  Had an ST2 the predecessor to your ST3.  Great all around machine.  Still miss it :)  Super basic as well.  Easy to work on once you get the fairing taken off... which is 6000 screws.  :)

Clutch slave is a common fail point.

Head over to Ducati.ms and the ST sub forum.  Good group in there when I was on one.

Well, it's not like Scud is running out of LeMans any time soon.  :grin:

My last Duck was an ST2, and 

The ST would beat the V11 on any objective performance measure, but the V11 still has the advantage in the subjective arena for me. 

once I rode a Centauro, I went with Guzzi. I understand the ST3 is the best of the lot. 

Oh, BTW Scud.. back in the day, I made a billet setup to put conventional bars on the ST2-3-4 bikes, so if you want to put apes on it, I'm your man.  :rasta:

You sold the Lemans, Scud?!! For a Ducati st3?!! Maybe a 900ss but an ST3? I wish I knew. Would of bought your gauge cluster...lol

Well, I think of it like this:  I sold the LeMans so I can keep the Greenie. In fact, I moved a lot of stuff from the LeMans to the Greenie (Ohlins shock, GB rear fender, the new Ti pipes and high-hangers... long list.  Then I got the ST3 so it could take over the BMW's job as commuter and airport runner. But the ST will probably do most of the two-up riding and long-hauls too. You should come over and take the ST3 for spin. I think you'd be impressed.

Well, it's not like Scud is running out of LeMans any time soon.  :grin:

My last Duck was an ST2, and 

The ST would beat the V11 on any objective performance measure, but the V11 still has the advantage in the subjective arena for me. 

once I rode a Centauro, I went with Guzzi. I understand the ST3 is the best of the lot. 

Oh, BTW Scud.. back in the day, I made a billet setup to put conventional bars on the ST2-3-4 bikes, so if you want to put apes on it, I'm your man.  :rasta:

You did that Chuck? Sweet!  Due to Ducati being Ducati lots of parts from many other bikes work on it.  I put conventional bars on mine by simply replacing the top triple with one from a monster.  Fun times.

14248461655_4137aba779_c.jpg