Fantasy time

Craig

I am sitting here waiting for a tow truck and I think I just destroyed the engine on my Guzzi. I have all of the symptoms of a failed oil pump with attendant damage. So while I am sitting here I am fantasizing about what to do. Here are the first things that come to mind:

1. Rebuild - easy. Low risk

2. 1200 Sport engine. Lots of unknowns. Transmission fit up, relocate alternator, ECU.

3. Centauro engine.

What other things are within the realm of fantasy?

Hopefully my fear dont bear out when I get i home. But for now I will dream instead of fret.

Just to answer directly... I would have some Guzzi performance builder guru have his way with it. But.... What I am curious about is the sequence of the tragedy. What happened?

Stopped for gas. Got back on for the morning commute and after about thirty seconds started losing power then started making a lot noise (the bad kind). Pulled to the side of the road and called for a tow. I tried a restart and got a engine speed loud squeal with no start. There was never an oil warning light and I can't remember if I saw it when I started it this morning. It did not light up when I tried to restart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With that topic title, I did not expect to see such a major bummer. Here's hoping it's something simple/easy. Can a starter motor stay engaged and cause these symptoms after 30 seconds of running?

I assume you'll be draining the oil and possibly dropping the sump soon - to check for evidence.

As for what's in the realm of fantasy - I know you wanted a Turbo K75s.  How about a turbo V11?

Whatever the case, best of luck - and get it done before winter (aka riding season in Tuscon).

I would like to think *vapor lock* and *starter failure* rather than something like spun bearings .

I wouldn't write the motor off just yet . . .

I would like to think *vapor lock* and *starter failure* rather than something like spun bearings .

I wouldn't write the motor off just yet . . .

Yes not really enough detailed information, but I would be looking at whether the starter didn't disengage after the last start and eventually lunched itself by being back driven from the engine. Don't go straight to the WCS.

Ciao

• Like 1

Well, I meant this to be "what would you do if you did destroy your engine", but here is what I believe so far.

1.  The starter definitely disengaged properly and appears to still be working properly, but I haven't disassembled anything starter related yet.

2.  When I try to crank it right now, cold, I get a very loud high pitched squeal once per engine revolution.  Something is metal on metal that shouldn't be,

3.  The clutch felt normal immediately before I shut down..

4.  I initially thought that I had a bad batch of gas or maybe even put diesel in by mistake, it was a slow (over the course of thirty seconds) loss of power and since I had just refilled my first instinct was fueling. 

5.  Before I shut down the engine it was clattering on the right side, I have heard hydraulic lifters sound like that, but never solid.

6.  I drained the oil last night and there was nothing unusual on the magnetic plug.

7.  The oil level was normal.

8.  I will pull the sump tonight.

Does anyone know of a crankshaft alternator retrofit for a Griso engine?

On the subject of the original question....

I am probably the wrong guy to listen to, but I would put a Centaro motor in it.

That would be fun.

The new CARC motors, both 2 valve and 8 valve, don't fit as easy.

Or I would build up a Big Bore motor.

As to the actual issue, take your time and tear it down. Don't jump to conclusions.

On the subject of the original question....

I am probably the wrong guy to listen to, but I would put a Centaro motor in it.

That would be fun.

The new CARC motors, both 2 valve and 8 valve, don't fit as easy.

Or I would build up a Big Bore motor.

As to the actual issue, take your time and tear it down. Don't jump to conclusions.

If you have ever had a Centauro/Daytona motor apart you wouldn't.

Ciao 

If'n I just had to do a complete motor for my Sport, I would try and recreate the build of the Telaio Rosso V7 Sport that were built in the race shop with the internals all polished and balanced, "blueprinted"even.

I had thought that might be on my 100,000 mile to-do list, but looks like I'll just be changing some fluids, replacing a few seals, and thinking about SpeedHut. :ph34r:

• Like 1

If'n I just had to do a complete motor for my Sport, I would try and recreate the build of the Telaio Rosso V7 Sport that were built in the race shop with the internals all polished and balanced, "blueprinted"even.

I had thought that might be on my 100,000 mile to-do list, but looks like I'll just be changing some fluids, replacing a few seals, and thinking about SpeedHut. :ph34r:

do it docc.... do it! :food: (couldn't find one eating popcorn)

do it docc.... do it! :food: (couldn't find one eating popcorn)

Right? Next Tech Session at the South'n Spine Raid? :luigi:

whew - we'll be up all night (again . . .)! :drink:

This.  I will be going very carefully.  If I can avoid a rebuild I will.  This was just therapeutic to keep me from crying on the side of the road.

Unless a rod has smashed holes in the cases, whatever it is will be fixable.

So... after its fixed, a supercharger run off the alternator that sits where the airbox does, and mod the frame to suit.

Almost thinking of doing it myself as the bike is completely disassembled and waiting for painting and clean