Champagne wishes...

Scud

If you have compressed air , use it to blow out the goo . The safest "solvent" would be kerosene or diesel fuel . Less flammable than gasoline . Finish off with Brake -Kleen . 

Clean the Clutch hub off with a wire brush on a handle ( it looks like a tooth brush for the Tin Man ) then a liberal amount of dry film graphite spray .

Ordinarily, we would all drain our various oils at "operating temperature?"

This one had to be uncorked ambient?

I wonder if it would have *liquefied* more (and drained better) at "operating temperature?"

Even with that, I agree that RedLine Heavy was long past it's due date!

Thanks guys. Some answers:

It's a little colder than normal - just had an Orca sighting off Carlsbad (they rarely come this far South). Garage is about 55F (13C) - it's been raining all day, on and off last 2 weeks actually, we're having historic snowfall in the mountains and we may be coming out of drought conditions here in California.   :thumbsup:

The Pacific Ocean is kicking our asses right now. Big swell coming... maybe up to 12 foot sets. Took the kids to the beach this afternoon. High wind advisory.

IMG_5748.jpg

The transmission had to be drained at ambient temperature, because the tranny was out of the bike, which has not run for several years.

I do have access to compressed air, but I have visions of Gallagher smashing a watermelon with a sledgehammer.... and I was thinking diesel fuel too. I prefer not to work with stuff that can catch on fire or explode. Sometimes diesel is even cheaper than gas.  :nerd:

I got all the big sludge out with spoon, towels, and Super Clean. Everything turns well and the shift arms slide freely. I think I will run a little diesel fuel through it next week, and then one more flush with gear oil so it can sit till I'm ready to seal it up again. Gonna get the pushrod and throwout bearing out too (but slave cylinder bolts are not turning yet).

I really appreciate the help/advice. I've heard stories about sludge-piles like this, but I've never seen it before and had no idea what to do.

Squeamish alert....

IMG_5750.jpg

And in better news... the 12,000 mile engine from my crashed parts bike is super-clean inside. I got the valve clearances set, new plugs, and I think I will pull the clutch discs out again and do the graphite treatment, along with the spline.

IMG_5749.jpg

we're having historic snowfall in the mountains and we may be coming out of drought conditions here in California.   :thumbsup:

No need to thank me, Tim.. it's what I do. I was out for 3 weeks and didn't even get the old gas ran out of the MZ. :ninja:

Well, having lost a few days of shop-talk from this thread, let me try to recap the posts that went missing.

I was disturbed by a groove in the bore for the clutch push-rod.

IMG_5753.jpg

I got some good advice and offers to help and Chuck posted a cool video of his shop and airplanes and Guzzis. We all now wish Chuck was our neighbor.

We talked about throwout bearings and all the parts that go between the slave cylinder and the pressure plate.

IMG_5755.jpg

And I managed to get the bore honed at a local machine shop.

IMG_5760.jpg

And the inside of the tranny is looking pretty clean after a bath in diesel fuel.

This evening I got the steering bearings installed. I "got a set" from All Balls. I do like their edgy slogan.

Appropriate use of heat and cold sure make it easier. I froze the steering stem and heated the inner race of the lower bearing with a torch - the bearing dropped right in by gravity - no pounding needed. And I froze the outer races and heated the steering head - but those still took a little pounding.

IMG_5761.jpg

Picked up my powdercoating today - and just had to see how the covers look by the tank...

Champagne and Candy-apple Red.   :food:

• Like 3

IMG_5761.jpg

Picked up my powdercoating today - and just had to see how the covers look by the tank...

Champagne and Candy-apple Red.   :food:

That is so-freakin'-gorgeous! I had to re-post the photo.

Stunning!! :thumbsup: