Help me find a green bike

swooshdave

So... looks like a low (or no) speed drop on the left and some normal wear. That thing on the tank looks like the paint came off and was poorly re-painted - maybe from removing a knee-pad.  I think the trip-meter can be repaired for about $100. That still looks like a good value to me - but it would have been a "steal" without the little cosmetic issues.

You've bought several bikes. Sometimes the buying decision is as much about the previous owner as the bike. If the PO is pointing out all the flaws, that's a good sign.

All the V11 tanks are made of the same material and potentially vulnerable to swelling due to ethanol in fuel. Several people have sealed the tanks on the inside. I keep thinking I should do that on mine.

Of course if I get the green one I can start to exhibit the Greenie attitude that this forum needs more of...  :ninja:

Get some knee pads to cover ( if they will ) the ugly on the tank . Don't worry about the rash on the l.h. side . You will drop a bike at least once in your lifetime pushing it around the shop or getting it off of a stand followed by a screaming , cussing ( cursing for the Northerners ) nuclear meltdown . I think Palo Alto Speedo service fixed my gauges. Lubricated , p.s. did someone tell you , you can own one bike at a time .

I only dropped my Triumph once, I showed up at a bike night and was too tired. Forgot to put the kickstand down. I was too tired to even pick the bike up. Probably shouldn't have been riding...

I had just gotten out of the hospital from a heart operation , was going to a BMW rally in Tn. and dropped my K100 in a gas station driveway after missing a turn .I was loaded down with enough junk for 4 days. I had to pick this thing up wondering if my chest would rip open or all this new junk they put in my heart would bust loose. 

The embarrassment always is heavier than the bike .

Yeah, we need more *Greenie attitude* . . . . :whistle:

BigBlock and LuckyPhil and LowRyter need somebody in their corner!

And then, you'll find yourself in a tight bond with other RedFramers. A dubious lot . . . ;)

All right, allright . . . in all fairness: all the V11 have some "things" that will need to be seen to. The 2002 leads this parade because of the bubbling paint. RedFrame gearcase cracks? Don't wheelie it and don't crash. If it worries you, add the frame brace.

The Veglia and the ITI both have "issues."( My fourth speedometer and third tach will be Speedhut.)

After riding my RedFrame Sport for about 30,000 miles (three or four years), I rode an '04 Café Sport: braced LongFrame with *handlebars* (not clip-ons), wider rear wheel/tire, Öhlins and such. I immediately found it *so much more stable* (read: "slower to turn in"), and more *relaxed* (read: "more relaxed").

I've never spent any real time behind the LeMans faring, but am very happy with the air flow off my early Stucchi.

Early RedFrames will appreciate careful suspension tuning and tire selection (like all bikes). Very, very early RedFrames had steeper triple clamps. What is the build date on this bike you're looking at?

Early RedFrames will appreciate careful suspension tuning and tire selection (like all bikes). Very, very early RedFrames had steeper triple clamps. What is the build date on this bike you're looking at?

Not sure of the build date but it's listed as a 2001.

No problem with the early, early triples then.

Seems like a guy looking for a green RedFrame, that finds a green RedFrame, might find himself startled awake at night repeatedly by the (apparent) sound of the Mistral. :mg::grin:

• Like 1

Alright kids, rest easy. I had a flight booked for Friday to SFO but then I did the partially prudent thing and checked the forecast. Rain from SF to Portland. And a lot of it. The whole way. Not fun, doable, but not fun and if it's not fun, why do it?

Ticket rebooked for next Thursday...

The good news is I know how much rain gear I can stuff in my backpack... all of it! Hopefully next week I won't need it as much.

Thanks for all your help, the price on the Greenie ended up being too much to pass up. Unless it breaks down somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Then I blame y'all...

• Like 1

Alright kids, rest easy. I had a flight booked for Friday to SFO but then I did the partially prudent thing and checked the forecast. Rain from SF to Portland. And a lot of it. The whole way. Not fun, doable, but not fun and if it's not fun, why do it?

Ticket rebooked for next Thursday...

The good news is I know how much rain gear I can stuff in my backpack... all of it! Hopefully next week I won't need it as much.

Thanks for all your help, the price on the Greenie ended up being too much to pass up. Unless it breaks down somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Then I blame y'all...

What? Rain in the Pacific Northwest? Say it's not so.

Congratulations in advance.

Start practicing your "Greenie Attitude." If you're going to be a poseur, learn to strike a pose:

http://oi61.tinypic.com/20589zr.jpg

No, it will be raining in SF and then all the way up. Given the choice I'll chance the weather next week.

What is the build date ?

What is the build date ?

Where is the build date located? On the VIN plate?

What is the build date ?

Where is the build date located? On the VIN plate?

It is inscribed on the metal plate on the left side of the frame's head tube.