Just bought my first Guzzi!

Hi this my first post.I just bought on line a 2004 V11 from a dealer in Ohio.I pick the bike up Friday. I just want to introduce myself. my name is Mike. I go by Shiny Mike because I polish aluminum and other metals to a show qualty shine.Thats not  my real job,side work.

I'm so geeked about my 13000 mile  2004 Balarosa.Balarosa is that correct? Any way after a life time on Honda's and Suzuki's I feel like a classy guy going forward. If any of you Guzzi guys want to give me some pointers as what to look for BEFORE I ride the bike away from the dealer that would be great. I understand that these bikes have some Gremlins.What I'm asking about is,if you saw ? whould keep you from buying it.What are the deal breakers on a 2004 v11. Thanks Mike

• Like 1

Welcome. Balarosa sounds like a mash-up of some other 2004 models. Did you buy a Ballabio or maybe a Rosso Corsa?

Deal-breakers would be the same as any other bike. If you trust the dealer to have given a good inspection before sale, you'll probably be fine. 13,000 miles is pretty low - but it's enough for the gremlins to have been sorted out, and the 2004 bikes were at the end of the production of the V11s, so they were probably the best-sorted of the series from the factory.

Fine choice. I'm guessing Ballabio.. called a Billy Bob here.  :grin: It would probably be a Nero Corsa or Billy Bob if its an 04. Well sorted from the factory.. at least as well sorted as a Guzzi gets.  :huh2:

First, a word of warning. Guzzis are "different," if you've never ridden one. It will probably take some acclimatization before you get it. People have told me after riding away on their first Guzzi, they thought,"What have I done??"  After a few hundred miles they think, "They'll pry this bike out of my cold dead hands.." 

Welcome to the forum.  :oldgit:

• Like 1

yeah, that motor likes to rev, shift above 4k preferable 5.5 or higher.. you don't ride it like a Harley lugging in the low RPM's.

it's a dry clutch so might feel different to you just make sure it shifts good, the 6 speed is wonderful..

check the sidestand mount for any damage, it can take out the sump in a spill, also look at the frame to motor connection on the front down tubes, if crashed or tipped hard it can crack the engine case..

I wonder if the drive shaft has ever been lubed? it's a chore to get at the front one, there are 3 zirk fittings to lube. the instruments are week point made with a lot of plastic..is the odometer working?

Ballabio! Thanks for getting back guys.I left a deposit at maxxcycle just outside of Columbus Ohio. Its still on there web site.I'm driving down Friday to get it. I'll be the third owner.The first guy had it for 10 years.The second owner needs to relocate and sold the bike out right to the dealer.

You guys asked about price.It's on line for 4999.00. Thats what I paid.They say there a one price store.Take it leave it kind of thing.The bike from the pictures and from the sales guy looks to be bone stock.Looks like the tires have been replaced and thats it.Stock exhaust ect..

I've been looking for a V11 Guzzi for about four months.The newer the better.My second favorite body style is the Ballabio.The Coppa is off the chart! Any way I bought because I can see the bike in person,it's in my price range,I love the look heck its even my color. Check it out on line.Live pictures next week end. Thanks Mike

Mike,

That bike was on Craigslist here in Columbus. Guy was in Westerville. I wrote to him but didn't hear back.

Maxxcycles is near my current job, I'm thinking I might stop by tomorrow & have a look for it . The bike is still on their website if anyone wants to look for pictures.

Saturday I was in Cleveland and had a chance to get over to Cleveland Moto. They had alot of the new offerings of Guzzi's which I wanted to see. For the past few years they have supported the Ohio guzzi rally around Memorial Day. They will be able to help you out with your new machine.

Let me know when you're coming down on Friday & maybe I can meet you there.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hey Mike - I just checked out the ad. Looks like a great bike for a fair price - especially if the dealer has done all the fluids and given it a good overall inspection, fresh tires, etc. The bar-end mirrors are aftermarket, but I think that's a plus. It looks like it's been down at low speed on the right - you can see a little roughness on the leading edge of the RH exhaust can. So take a look for other abrasions on the right. I wouldn't be surprised if the bar-end mirrors were installed after the tip - if the stock bar-end was damaged.

The only two problems you might anticipate after a few miles are the failure of the ITI gauges and a potential exhaust leak at the front crossover. These problems might not show up for you, but if they do, the gauges are replaceable with cooler ones - and you can occasionally look for a set of headers (no crossover) from a 2002 V11 to hold in reserve in case you ever have a problem.

• Like 1

Here is the listing from ebay

2004 MOTO GUZZI BALLABIO

2004-Moto-Guzzi-Ballabio

Ended: Mar 19, 2017 , 1:03PM

Winning bid:US $3,759.99

[ 23 )

Item location:Columbus, Ohio, United States

Seller:

toshi_columbus (628 ) | Seller's other items

Item specifics

Condition: Used Year: 2004

VIN (Vehicle Identification Number): ZGUKTC0234M111222 Mileage: 13,598

Engine Size (cc): 1,100 Make: Moto Guzzi

Model: Ballabio

Vehicle Title: Clear For Sale By: Private Seller

Exterior Color: Red

This is 2004 MOTO GUZZI BALLABIO in good operating condition. This machine has V-twin OHV engine. The pulsing feeling until 3000 rpm, then smooth acceleration with powerful torque until 5000 rpm,then strong acceleration ( similar to motor without vibration) until 7500 rpm.

Originally, this bike has one weak point. It is the life of shift return spring. After I had this problem,

I replaced from original spring to the improved spring kit ( Made in Japan ).

Please refer to attached pictures. This kit use coil spring with bearings for reduce spring stress. Already run 2 seasons without any problem.

Odd meter did not operated from last season. because internal gear wear.

Therefore, total milage will be 16500 miles and I included new meter and cable in this auction.

Scud, you caught the 2 problems: ITI gauge & scratch on muffler !

I had wanted to talk to the owner to ask about this shift spring.

Stopped by Maxxcycles today.

Talked to the manager, Tom & he added said the previous owner was an engineer for the nearby Honda plant & was returning to Japan. Which explains the strict deadline in the e bay description.

Mike if you are looking for a UJM that doesn't need work, you will be disappointed. This bike needs some cleaning up but nothing serious I currently believe.

I heard it running as they moved it out of the showroom. It sounds fine ; the clutch is quieter than my V11.

The forks show no signs of leaking. The brake disks are smooth & no grooves in them. The bodywork & paint looks good. It has a Ram gps holder. The bar end mirrors are small & probally need to be replaced. The bar ends look clean, not scratching.

The odometer the manager told me they fixed. Take it for a ride to see if thats true. The mileage on the label indicated what was on the dial, didn't mention the additional mileage put on after the odometer stopped working, as noted in the e bay description.

It did go down on the LH side, scratches to the head guard, muffler, sidestand & footpeg. See pic.

IMG_0036.JPGIt has some additional 'quick releases' fittings under the tank. IMG_0037.JPG

The headers need some cleaning up & the alternator cover has lost alot of its paint.

Where the shaft exits the gearbox there is evidence of an oil leak.