Are these normal?

voycie

Couple of questions been on my mind if anyone can help thanks

(2003 lemans)...

1. Choke. Seems to have three positions, off, on and fully on. Fully on requires holding with the thumb as it is sprung loaded and returms to on. Slightly annoying as to warm the bike requires a hand on the bar which could be put to better use undoing chain lock etc

2. Clutch. Is it normally rattly when pulling in the clutch lever? Particularly from cold. Not sure if its a worn clutch basket or just standard fare.

Thats it! Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Well, easy answer? The clutch noise is fine.

The "choke?" . . .

Well, it only nudges the right throttle plate slightly to give a "high idle." The cable can be adjusted at the throttle body as well as the "cam" that nudges the linkage on the right throttle body. See the "Decent Tune-up" for a picture of the bottom of the right throttle body.

Once-upon-a-time, someone figured that *some* V11 may have gotten the seat latch spring and high-idle spring switched in Luigi's bins. Swapping them has been said to make both the high idle and the seat latch work better . . .  YMMV :huh2:

• Like 1

I took the spring out, went to the hardware store and bought a few similar springs. Experimented a bit and ended up cutting the one of the new springs a little shorter to make it "just right." Now I can easily adjust my idle speed from the bars anytime I want. Small victory...

• Like 2

I like mine. Set the "choke" and let it idle for a minute or two. Then ready to go.

I guess an automatic fast idle for cold starts was too much to ask in 2001?

It's not the only Rube Goldberg mechanism on our V11. Have you looked at your sidestand?

Or the way the Veglia speedometer is driven?

Couple of questions been on my mind if anyone can help thanks

(2003 lemans)...

1. Choke. Seems to have three positions, off, on and fully on. Fully on requires holding with the thumb as it is sprung loaded and returms to on. Slightly annoying as to warm the bike requires a hand on the bar which could be put to better use undoing chain lock etc

2. Clutch. Is it normally rattly when pulling in the clutch lever? Particularly from cold. Not sure if its a worn clutch basket or just standard fare.

Thats it! Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Interesting...similar issue, but my fast start also requires a hand on to keep it idling fast at warm up,...sounds like the spring should be removed, but I also "overrode" this a bit by adjusting the idle screws to a bit higher rate so at least the bike doesn't die when cold w/o the fast start engaged.

On item #2...mine is super quiet when the clutch is pulled IN and you can hear the smoothness of the engine, but it's noisy and rattly when the clutch is not engaged (we're talking about the bike sitting in neutral at idle here just to be clear).

• Like 1

Interesting...similar issue, but my fast start also requires a hand on to keep it idling fast at warm up,...sounds like the spring should be removed, but I also "overrode" this a bit by adjusting the idle screws to a bit higher rate so at least the bike doesn't die when cold w/o the fast start engaged.

On item #2...mine is super quiet when the clutch is pulled IN and you can hear the smoothness of the engine, but it's noisy and rattly when the clutch is not engaged (we're talking about the bike sitting in neutral at idle here just to be clear).

I wouldn't recommend removing the spring, at least switch it out with the seat release one first.

With the clutch lever pulled in you should hear rattles (twin plate). It should be quieter when in neutral with lever released.

I wouldn't recommend removing the spring, at least switch it out with the seat release one first.

With the clutch lever pulled in you should hear rattles (twin plate). It should be quieter when in neutral with lever released.

true... twin plate clutch rattles when disengaged. single plate quiet when disengaged. (lever pulled in)

On item #2...t it's noisy and rattly when the clutch is not engaged).

That is the sound of the clock that operates the time-bomb on the original Scura flywheel.

voycie - not to worry, you have a reliable twin-plate clutch/flywheel.

• Like 3

John/Scud...Mine is definitely the single plate, original clutch...prior owner had looked at it with the boroscope and showed zero signs of cracking, spidering or imminent destruction.  The bike shifts cleanly, precisely...zero issues.

Now...assuming that the current single plate is still in good shape, is it not normal for the OEM single plate clutch to be rattly when in neutral and disengaged, and quiet when pulled in?

I see the exact opposite on my 2008 Norge dry clutch - disengaged quiet, pulled in noisy.

If in fact, I'm sitting on a time bomb, then it's time for me to replace it for peace of mind for the RAM single plate...

Thanks guys!