Ride to Work Day in Phoenix

From the AZ Beemers Forum . . . . . . . . . .

Since I have to carpool Mon-Thurs, I did my RTW today.  Should only be 110 this afternoon.

Now for anybody who actually does the RTW Monday, when it's likely to be just near 120, you will earn the Eat Sh!t Aerostitch award.

Why that name? Because of the map below that Aerostitch published.  It purports to show rideable days by city.

Note that they show Phoenix at 214 rideable days.  Less than Seattle.  Less than Anchorage, AK.  Are you kidding?

4162_1ha.jpg

They come to this absurd conclusion by saying that if the temperature is more than 95, then it is too hot to ride.

What a bunch of wieners.  Plus, guess what Aerostitch, other companies have invented this stuff called "mesh".  You should try it some time.

Bonus points to anyone who can get a picture of you and your bike with a thermometer in the neighborhood of 120, preferably the outdoor billboard type.

Fun chart, thanks.  364 days a year in San Diego, where I live.  I wonder why one day got excluded while San Francisco and Hawaii both get 365 days? I guess SF doesn't get penalized for the fog being so thick that you can't see.

I have parked near the world's tallest thermometer before. I don't know if I can find a picture.

From the AZ Beemers Forum . . . . . . . . . .

Since I have to carpool Mon-Thurs, I did my RTW today.  Should only be 110 this afternoon.

Now for anybody who actually does the RTW Monday, when it's likely to be just near 120, you will earn the Eat Sh!t Aerostitch award.

Why that name? Because of the map below that Aerostitch published.  It purports to show rideable days by city.

Note that they show Phoenix at 214 rideable days.  Less than Seattle.  Less than Anchorage, AK.  Are you kidding?

They come to this absurd conclusion by saying that if the temperature is more than 95, then it is too hot to ride.

What a bunch of wieners.  Plus, guess what Aerostitch, other companies have invented this stuff called "mesh".  You should try it some time.

Bonus points to anyone who can get a picture of you and your bike with a thermometer in the neighborhood of 120, preferably the outdoor billboard type.

It shows the number of days you'd LIKE to ride. In Oregon we'd LIKE to ride every day, and aside from some icy days in the winter you CAN ride year 'round.

It just means that Oregon riders either are a lot tougher than Arizona riders, or just have better reading comprehension.  :homer: 

Yeah well it's 108 with about 30% Humidity today in Sacramento so I decided not to ride all week.

I'm an ATGATT sort of guy that get's a little "rummy" when I'm cooking in all the gear I wear.  yes it's mesh but it's old mesh.  I'm going to get a new set from Italy after I loose 10 kilos or so.

The worst riding weather in Sacramento is the 20 mph tule fog.  It's very cold, your visor fogs over and you can't see -- or be seen.

Turns out that mesh above 93F is actually worse for you than non mesh...as you're basically driving in front of a massive hair dryer.  Having ridden in those temps all day long, it's much more comfortable to ride in non mesh gear and keep hydrating and pouring cold water down the jacket on top of a shirt that allows evaporation as a cooling effect, as the dry heat just dessicates you too fast when using mesh gear.  Initially it sounds a bit counter intuitive, but it's actually better for you.  Putting an LD cap on and soaking it in water before putting on the helmet also provides a nice A/C device for the head to keep from cooking the noggin!

Gotta agree. I took my old SP out to California back in the day. There was a record heat wave, with temps into the 115F area by the time I got to Wyoming. I spent two days hunkered down behind that great SP fairing with a long sleeve t shirt under my riding jacket. I'd stop at every opportunity.. soak it, put it on, survive the shock  :grin: put my jacket back on, and go until it dried out. It didn't take long. 

That was a *memorable* trip, one of survival rather than fun..  :oldgit: I was never so happy to see the smog over the cooler LA basin.. :)

I've been riding with mesh gear for long time and recently got myself a set of full leathers with good ventilation. The leathers are great without a fairing - I sweat a little and can move around to get a cooling effect. With the mesh, everything evaporates instantly and there is no noticeable cooling. 

It's good to have a hydration backpack too - I mix Accelerade powder in my water if I'm going far. The more you drink, the more you can sweat.

I had a cooling vest for a while - the idea was to soak it and let it evaporate under the mesh. The problem was that once it was dry it turned into a heat-retaining layer.

Turns out that mesh above 93F is actually worse for you than non mesh...

Aerostich propoganda !!

That pouring water all over yourself is a great idea assuming you don't have to go anywhere or meet anyone (which probably sums up the life of a Stich rider ! )

For those of us who ride with a purpose, like say going to work, those dank clothes look a little odd.  Yes, with mesh you will be losing copious amounts of water,  Yes, when you are a desert dweller, you need to drink copious amounts of water to compensate not only for sweat, but the massive amount of water you lose simply by breathing.

And you will be able to walk into work with nice dry clothes and start your day.

Full disclosure section - I own phase change gel vests made by GlacierTek.  No water involved. Lasts a couple of hours in 110+ riding.  Google it.

Full disclosure section #2 - Yes, I hate Aerostich.  Because they are snooty Minnesotans. :bbblll:    See map above.

Proof in the puddin'

No, the pix is not me, I have to carpool M-Th, so I only get to ride to work on Friday. Sposed to be down to 115 on Friday.

119degrees.jpg

Seems like you guys in the "sunny" states would figure out to not wear black when it gets hot. (see  once black car in rear)

My short trips and day rides - cold days - black Vanson, - hot days - grey full perf Vanson. ALL touring gets my two piece Aerostich. It is perfect. Shorts and a dry-fit tee under it with a fleece in the bag. Open the vents and keep moving and it's comfortable. On the cold and wet side, there's no comparison to the 'Stich.