Where are you on your V11?

swooshdave

Your friend sounds like an experienced and knowledgeable rider. He seemed to really enjoy the V11!

Um, who wouldn’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

yeah, I doubt if the old aircooled Thruxton would have the beans to run a V11.  But my friend Darren can certainly keep up with his on the road.

OTOH, I would guess that the new watercooled Thruxton would probably reverse the tables.  

yeah, I doubt if the old aircooled Thruxton would have the beans to run a V11.  But my friend Darren can certainly keep up with his on the road.

OTOH, I would guess that the new watercooled Thruxton would probably reverse the tables.  

The water-cooled Thruxton is a decent piece of kit. It's a little bit lighter and has more horses than the V11 so I'd expect it to do a good job. It is almost 20 years newer so there's that.

Too be honest I wasn't giving the older Thruxton all the beans.  ^_^ 

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, I doubt if the old aircooled Thruxton would have the beans to run a V11. But my friend Darren can certainly keep up with his on the road.

I was reading the comparisons of the V11 to a Thruxon... I caught myself laughing... A Thruxton "having the beans" to run to a V11?

Ive owned 3 Bonnie variants. 2 Thruxtons.. I also have 2 V11s so I can I think I can be pretty insightful and smug about commenting.. A stock aircooled thruxton to a stock v11? The V11. A Thruxton with no airbox, jetted right and pipes and upgraded sprockets to a V11 with a map and pipes? Pretty f-ing toe to toe. Why? Power to weight. My old Thruxton I can honestly say I have gone neck and neck with V11s. Shit, I used to outhandle Ducati Sportclassics ( those bikes were pretty but total hype) . I wish I could find the old gopro vids..

I can honestly say a Thruxton CAN be comparable in a lot of ways to a V11. Except in torque . And proper noise. V11 trumps it. My V11s somedays feel like pigs in the mountains but muscling them into corners for me at least is the fun of it. I do find the v11 also more reliable. Shockingly. When I rode cross country to Lexington OH for Vintage Motorcycle Days my Triumph arrived on a flat bed with a charging issue. Im totally confident I can hop on my 16 year old Lemans and do 1000 miles problem free.

Some days I miss my Bonnies. Some days. But the v11 Sports tend to check the same boxes and a few more.

I'll never smashmouth a Thruxton . They can be quick. The thing is with the money you'd drop into it to make it quick you can do a v11 Sport and spend less. In fact .... Talking money.. The money to buy my Thruxton and mod it to be a tad faster than say a V11? I spent the same amount on buying a V11 Lemans AND a V11 Scura.. Just sayin...lol

• Like 1

I was confused reading all the Thruxton references in these last couple of posts and compairing to a V11. I kept thinking of my friends Velocette Thruxton that I've ridden and thinking it was never a match for a V11. Then I remembered there's a modern version....doh

Ciao 

• Like 1

Darren really has nothing nice to say about his gen 1 Thruxton.  He has a half dozen bikes and I think that one is his least favorite (after he got rid of his Sportster).  I am not sure why he still keeps it.  He had a Breva Sport 1200 and traded it for a Stelvio that he totaled via deer.  He wants to trade the Thruxton for devil version Griso.  He's got a 900 Yamaha triple, an FJR, an enduro bike and a GS  Beemer, perhaps some more.

Sunday, he had the notion he wanted a Jackal to make into a rat bike.  He rode my EV but had trouble with the heel shifter and very optimistic speedo.  I rode his (previous generation) GS, nice handling and comfy, check engine light on and the most boring engine ever.  I am not sure he thought much of my EV.  And even though the EV probably is down 20HP, it's much more exciting to ride.  The engine boosts right up with RPMs, the Beemer just drones.

The water cooled Beemer is entirely different.  Great engine.  Still don't feel comfortable about the Tech $$.

John, the above covers exactly the way I feel. I have a good friend that has an early Thruxton, and after riding it was having a hard time saying something nice about it. Same deal with the Bavarian Money Wasters. Gimme a Guzzi.

Chuck, deacon

Church of Guzzi

• Like 1

John, the above covers exactly the way I feel. I have a good friend that has an early Thruxton, and after riding it was having a hard time saying something nice about it. Same deal with the Bavarian Money Wasters. Gimme a Guzzi.

Chuck, deacon

Church of Guzzi

.....next you'll be preaching the good book of Guzziology and passing the collection plate.

But you ain't dropping me in the water.

5ef74e30f3e6f1c74a7192bdfbaa04e2.jpg

We’re expecting a nasty storm tomorrow, high winds (50mph+) and rain. But today is beautiful, except for this morning when it was a bit more moist than I had planned for. It was worth the near-70 degree afternoon. I took a lengthy lunch and ended up in Forest Grove at an old drive-in.

95135414692bc754ca20af76a5277404.jpg

Forest Grove is home of the Forest Grove Concours d'Elegance. Sadly I haven't been in a few years but they always have some spectacular vehicles.

http://forestgroveconcours.org

• Like 1

ee57da0939c213294b06cfc5147b3e05.jpg

Getting in as much riding as I can before the weather turns bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3