How to get your Veglia / ITI/hUR Instruments repaired and calibrated (at the time of posting 2021)

p6x

Both the ITI and CEV Speedos have their names stamped into the whit plastic housing in the back. I don't have a good photograph of my ITI one, here is the CEV:

p4qW4lW.png

I can believe the mechanism inside come from some other manufacturer, as it is essentially identical between the two, the CEV just having some better quality parts. It is the plastic body that is slightly different, although not by much!

This is my ITI, it has made in Italy just like the one in your photo.

gYqRP9U.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grim said:

Both the ITI and CEV Speedos have their names stamped into the whit plastic housing in the back. I don't have a good photograph of my ITI one, here is the CEV:

p4qW4lW.png

I can believe the mechanism inside come from some other manufacturer, as it is essentially identical between the two, the CEV just having some better quality parts. It is the plastic body that is slightly different, although not by much!

This is my ITI, it has made in Italy just like the one in your photo.

gYqRP9U.jpg

I have found the actual manufacturer of "C.E.V." "Fratelli Pagani" in Milan Italy.

C.E.V. stands for: Costruzioni Elettromeccaniche Venegonesi.

They no longer exist under that name. They manufactured a lot of accessories for motorcycles, including electrical components. As you can read in the schematics I posted below, you could purchase the wiring for your motorcycle ready to be installed.

I am guessing I.T.I.  may also be a brand from one of these defunct Italian companies. Although I have not yet been able to associate it with any known Italian company.

C.E.V. F.lli Pagani

• 1 year later...

Hi,

My ITI speedometer is not working and I have contacted Joel Levine.  I plan on sending it to him to repair.  My question is do the electrical leads

to the speedometer disconnect or are they hardwired to the speedometer.  Please see attached image.

Thanks - Dave

Screenshot 2023-04-25 090340.png

Those are the bulb holders for the face illumination. You can carefully pry the rubber flange up, going around the circumference, and the holder will slip out bringing the bulb with it.

@drossell7 As Doc suggested, only send the instrument to Joel, nothing else.

For the record, since Joel fixed mine, it is still working fine. From 8000 miles to today's 25,000 miles. Mine was fixed in 2021.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Grim

The internals, e.g. the sprockets and worm screw are swaged in a preformed structure. Probably cold stamped. There is zero adjustment possible. If the driven sprocket is not perfectly lined up with the worm clamp, then it grinds itself until there aren't enough teeth height left. Or, until one or more tooth fail and the sprocket stops turning at that point.

Even if the driven sprocket was made of steel, it would still eventually fail.

The system works, since in the majority of the cases, the wheels are properly aligned. But in multiple cases, they aren't as the cheap built way does not account for variables.

What was surprising, is that Guzzi knew it was failure prone, and that an odometer is important, because it is one of the parameter that is determining the value of the vehicle. I don't know what is the percentage of affected odometers.

I don't have a clue about the real/actual mileage of my V11 Le Mans. I doubt very much it only had 8,800 miles when I purchased it, in December 2020. The 8,800 indicates when the Odometer failed, that was accurate. I was wondering how my predecessor could go through the state inspection when the mileage was not increasing... I suppose the State does not care? In France, a non working odometer means you fail the technical control.

What about elsewhere? nobody checks?

1 hour ago, p6x said:

@Grim

The internals, e.g. the sprockets and worm screw are swaged in a preformed structure. Probably cold stamped. There is zero adjustment possible. If the driven sprocket is not perfectly lined up with the worm clamp, then it grinds itself until there aren't enough teeth height left. Or, until one or more tooth fail and the sprocket stops turning at that point.

Even if the driven sprocket was made of steel, it would still eventually fail.

The system works, since in the majority of the cases, the wheels are properly aligned. But in multiple cases, they aren't as the cheap built way does not account for variables.

What was surprising, is that Guzzi knew it was failure prone, and that an odometer is important, because it is one of the parameter that is determining the value of the vehicle. I don't know what is the percentage of affected odometers.

I don't have a clue about the real/actual mileage of my V11 Le Mans. I doubt very much it only had 8,800 miles when I purchased it, in December 2020. The 8,800 indicates when the Odometer failed, that was accurate. I was wondering how my predecessor could go through the state inspection when the mileage was not increasing... I suppose the State does not care? In France, a non working odometer means you fail the technical control.

What about elsewhere? nobody checks?

In this State, the seller must sign a statement on the title transfer that the indicated odometer reading is the "actual" mileage, or that it is "not."

I know of sellers that always check "not" upon transfer to be relieved of any accountability. That this action forever compromises the vehicle's history and value, of course, makes this practice just as unethical as deliberately understating the mileage.

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, docc said:

In this State, the seller must sign a statement on the title transfer that the indicated odometer reading is the "actual" mileage, or that it is "not."

I know of sellers that always check "not" upon transfer to be relieved of any accountability. That this action forever compromises the vehicle's history and value, of course, makes this practice just as unethical as deliberately understating the mileage.

Interesting!

5 minutes ago, audiomick said:

In Germany too, as far as I know.

I did not know for Germany, or other European countries; I did not want to make assumptions. Europeans are supposed to be governed by the same rules, but there are so many exemptions.

For example, French motorcyclist are exempted from the yearly technical inspection. They are fighting hard to keep this privilege.

9 hours ago, p6x said:

...the yearly technical inspection.

That's every two years in Germany. I think it is not a bad thing, a regular inspection. There wasn't one in Australia when I was still there (and still isn't, I believe). The police can require an inspection to be made if they are in doubt about the roadworthiness of a vehicle, but of course they don't get everyone. Some of the cars that one sees driving around look very questionable... :huh2:

No inspection up here either.  DON'T SAY IT OUT LOUD  :rasta:

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 4:32 AM, audiomick said:

That's every two years in Germany. I think it is not a bad thing, a regular inspection. There wasn't one in Australia when I was still there (and still isn't, I believe). The police can require an inspection to be made if they are in doubt about the roadworthiness of a vehicle, but of course they don't get everyone. Some of the cars that one sees driving around look very questionable... :huh2:

The "Motards en Colère" who are fighting the "chain" pushing to have State Inspection implemented, have demonstrated using government provided statistics, that motorcyclists are almost never implicated in accidents where the root cause is lack of maintenance. It does not take a genius to understand that. Operating a motorcycle without any brakes can result in the operator' serious injury. The Inspection for motorcycle is only a "money grab".

Unfortunately, those companies pushing for the inspection have found a new argument, in that a lot of motorcyclists modify their exhaust systems, sometimes making their bike non compliant with the Emission or noise rules.

In Texas, I don't know what they check on motorcycles, but the place where I go does not even charge me for the inspection. I think they check if the turn indicators work, since nobody uses them, I guess it is important.

• Haha 2