A test report for V11 tyres

motortouring

On 5/25/2023 at 12:18 PM, docc said:

The Bridgestone Battlax T32 is serving me well, in the GT spec . . .

Bridgestone says "The "GT Spec" is for heavy weight vehicles" and "can be installed not only on large tourer vehicles but also on medium vehicles around 250kg".

Do you think that the T32 GT spec is better than the standard T32? It does sound hi-zoot, but I ask as the V11 dry weight is around 220kg. I'm looking to replace the Battlax BT023s on my bike.

image.png

5 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

Bridgestone says "The "GT Spec" is for heavy weight vehicles" and "can be installed not only on large tourer vehicles but also on medium vehicles around 250kg".

Do you think that the T32 GT spec is better than the standard T32? It does sound hi-zoot, but I ask as the V11 dry weight is around 220kg. I'm looking to replace the Battlax BT023s on my bike.

image.png

Half full of fuel, with my basic pannier load-out, mySport is 550 pounds/250 kg. So, I reckon I qualify. The GT is not available in the 160/60 rear I prefer, so I am only running it on the front. I am only on my second GT front, and before that were T31, so any "longer life" remains to be seen.

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2023 at 9:21 AM, mikev said:

128,457 / 36 = 3568.25 avg. miles per rear tire ... 128,457 / 26 = 4940.65 avg. miles per front tire

Is this an accurate average for how long your tires last @docc?  more or less ~1 season?

Seems like 1/3 or less than how long they said my Road 5s might last.

dang, that Docc is a real squid.  Bet he does burnouts in his driveway!

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2023 at 7:12 PM, p6x said:

I received the latest issue of Moto Magazine, and there is a comparative test of six tires designed for Sport-Tourism motorcycles, such as the V11;

• Dunlop Roadsmart IV
  • Pirelli Angel GT II
  • Bridgestone T32
  • Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE
  • Continental Contiroadattack 4

The test took place at the Goodyear Mireval track in France. It used to be a racing track purchased by Goodyear and transformed into a tire test track for all kind of vehicles. This track has multiple asphalt quality and a "wet" loop.

The testing was conducted with a Yamaha Tracer 9, one of the motorcycle used for a sport-tourism comparative test with the Moto Guzzi V100S, BMW R1250RS, results will come in a separate post.

Each tire sets was ran for two laps on the fast track, length 6.6 km. When the tires are manufactured, they are covered with a thin layer that facilitates their removal from the molding machine;

The braking tests were measured with a VBox Sport from Racelogic, using GPS data.

In the dry, for each tire the speed was set to 125 km/h, and the braking distance measured between 100 km/h until 5 km/h.

In the wet, the set speed is 90 km/h and the braking distance measured between 80 to 5 km/h

Maneuverability was checked; the Goodyear track has all kinds of tests to verify how easy the motorcycle respond to impulses. Also, behavior on wet asphalt such as fast, slow curves, banked curves, skidding under acceleration, stability.

Now we need to keep in mind that the braking results on the Tracer are carried out using the ABS, I don't really know how it translate on our V11.

Find the results of the test herewith:

-The top performance was given to the Dunlop Roadsmart IV, the second best was the Pirelli Angel GTII;

Some of these tires have a GT version for heavier motorcycles and SP for Sport roadsters. I believe the V11 can use the standard version.

Note that all the tires tested are manufactured in Europe and Japon for Bridgestone.

Michelin is the only manufacturer to have dual compound for the front and rear tire. All the rest have dual compound rear tires.

Again, one important aspect of tires is never measured: average autonomy.

I am currently on ROAD 5, since the ROAD 6 were not not in stock. The Roadsmart IV neither earlier this year. Only the Roadsmart III was in stock.

The Roadsmart IV is given as the best in terms of maneuverability and stability.

Something that I have been told; the Tires we purchase in the USA are not coming from Europe. It should not make any difference in terms of quality though...

I am completely happy with my Road 5, and will attempt to install Road 6 at the end of year. Then I will check the Roadsmart IV at the end of 2024.

Test Pneus Sport-Tourisme

I like the Dunlops.  So I was ready to do a Church Lady Dance.  

But it dawned on me that this was done at a Goodyear Test Track and Dunlop is a Goodyear brand.  Despite that -given Guzzi content- still the cheapest!

1690357829-church_lady_dance.jpeg

4 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

I like the Dunlops.  So I was ready to do a Church Lady Dance.  

But it dawned on me that this was done at a Goodyear Test Track and Dunlop is a Goodyear brand.  Despite that -given Guzzi content- still the cheapest!

1690357829-church_lady_dance.jpeg

The Metzeler Sportec are the cheapest you could get at the time I did the pricing survey. Hence, they were sold out.

1 minute ago, p6x said:

The Metzeler Sportec are the cheapest you could get at the time I did the pricing survey. Hence, they were sold out.

These were sport touring....sometimes the full on sport tires are "cheaper" because they last half as long.

I can't easily get and price out all the tires but I know the Mich and Pirellis cost a good 20% more.  And all the prices have gone up since I last purchased , Dunlops too. 

• 2 months later...

Today I went to MPH to replace my tires; sure enough, the Michelin Road 6 is hard to get.

Literally, I will only get a front, which is fine since my rear is still ok at this time; still, I don't get why the Road 6 is not readily available from whatever distributor MPH uses.

Earlier this year, I installed the Road 5 for the exact same reason. The Road 6 were on back order.

The Road 5 did pretty well, including longevity. I wanted to check out the 6 before trying other brands.

11 hours ago, LowRyter said:

one word: Dunlop

@p6x

I do not disagree;

I would like to complete my tires review. My plan is to check the Dunlop next year. Michelin is the only manufacturer to have a dual compound on both front and rear. The others only the rear.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2023 at 8:34 PM, LowRyter said:

one word: Dunlop

@p6x

Since we talk about Dunlop, you may be aware that Pirelli replaced Dunlop for Moto2 and Moto3 starting from next season.

For both tier, Pirelli is supplying tires that are also available to the public.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/motorcycles/pirelli-s-philosophy-in-moto3-and-moto2-involves-not-bringing-their-entire-range-of-compounds-available/ar-AA1kLS2A

Incidentally, during the tests in Valencia last Monday, Moto2 improved one second from the race week-end on the Dunlop.

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/motogp-lopez-holgado-top-combined-moto2-moto3-pirelli-test-at-valencia/

I know that it is all academical, we will see when next year's season resume.

I am currently getting a Michelin road 6 front on my Le Mans.

@p6x

I see little reason purchasing a brand of tires because they sponsor racing.  For the money, I prefer Dunlops.  They seem to perform as good or better than the other brands and cost a little bit less.  Sometimes a lot less.  They're the only US made tire and support AMA, if those are factors.  No one of us has tried all the various brands and styles of tires.  If I hear of a better tire than the RoadSmarts, I'll purchase them.  The last Mich I had was Pilot Road 3 (or 4), my Greenie wore it out quickly.  I've had Pirellis on my Duc, and they wore out quickly.  Both of those brands cost significantly more than the Dunlops.  That's my rationale. 

26 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

@p6x

I see little reason purchasing a brand of tires because they sponsor racing.  For the money, I prefer Dunlops.  They seem to perform as good or better than the other brands and cost a little bit less.  Sometimes a lot less.  They're the only US made tire and support AMA, if those are factors.  No one of us has tried all the various brands and styles of tires.  If I hear of a better tire than the RoadSmarts, I'll purchase them.  The last Mich I had was Pilot Road 3 (or 4), my Greenie wore it out quickly.  I've had Pirellis on my Duc, and they wore out quickly.  Both of those brands cost significantly more than the Dunlops.  That's my rationale. 

My point was, that Dunlop has provided racing tires for motorcycles during the past two decades.

Manufacturing tires for racing helps to perfect the tires you sell for the general public, as well as general exposure.

I am not implying that because Dunlop exits the MotoGP, their tires will automatically be less performing.

Pirelli was probably more agressive because they have a lesser known reputation in motorcycling. They are also aiming at replacing Michelin in MotoGP.

Similarly, Bridgestone left MotoGP, and their commercial tires are still used by many...

• Confused 1

For what it is worth. I live in rainy town, so I wondered who deals the most with wet roads. The Brits are certainly top 5 if not #1. So, to Avon I have gone. Their bias ply tires served me well on my "collector vehicle" EX500, and so when I picked up a nail in the rear of the V11, I went with the Avon Spirit ST. Dual compound, possibly front and rear - rear for sure. When the front Michi is gone - I suspect its geometry is not ideal for the V11 - I'll mount a Spirit ST on the front as well. The reviews mention that they even work for track days. NOT a concern with me. 

https://www.avontyres.com/en-us/tyres/spirit-st

• Haha 1

G'day

I ran Pilot Roads 2,3 and 4 and then changed to Pirelli Angels.

My thoughts were that they suited the V11 a lot better than the Michelins but in fairness this was before I had my suspension sorted!

I remember being very impressed with Angel GT after the Michi's even before the susp upgrade though!

Angel GT2 currently on it and these are bloody great wet or dry!

I'll run these again when done but reckon must be about due for a GT3 so hoping these might be available beforehand...? 

Cheers