Transmission recall service.

activpop

Thanks docc. Not the news I was hoping for but always good to get your input...what the heck do I do? Try to get the kit, look for a tyranny or wait for it to blow up in 6th at 80mph infront of a trailer truck. ? Did you go thru this. ?

24 minutes ago, docc said:

Seems the issue with contacting Piaggio is they only report on more recent recalls and not all the way back to the V11.  
Shifting into third is decidedly "busy" in the 6speeder. I have often wondered what is different from the other gears. When changing to the Chuck-Scud Superspring, also perform the LuckyPhil Shift Improvement. Some have also reported improved shift action with RedLine Shockproof (I prefer the Lightweight).

Say Doc, What color is the light weight? I switched from Lucas 80-90 to Red Line V-Twin Shock Proof (RED) and noticed a significant improvement in the smoothness of shifting. What's your input on the light weight?

1 hour ago, OuijiVeck said:

Thanks docc. Not the news I was hoping for but always good to get your input...what the heck do I do? Try to get the kit, look for a tyranny or wait for it to blow up in 6th at 80mph infront of a trailer truck. ? Did you go thru this. ?

How many miles are on it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OuijiVeck said:

At about 25,000 miles, mySport started finding false neutrals, especially in the 1-2-3/3-2-1 shifts (traversing switchbacks - perhaps the WORST time to find a neutral). This was at the end of my warranty, but before the recall, so my issue was solved with a complete gearbox at the time. I would think shift behavior would be an indicator of the parts wearing excessively before a complete failure, but that is just conjectural . . .

1 hour ago, Skip said:

Say Doc, What color is the light weight? I switched from Lucas 80-90 to Red Line V-Twin Shock Proof (RED) and noticed a significant improvement in the smoothness of shifting. What's your input on the light weight?

Skip, I have always used th blue Lightweight in the gearbox and switched away from the red Heavy in the reardrive after my ten year battle with reardrive leaks. I found the red Heavy impossible to judge fill volume and suspect I overfilled for quite a long time, possibly burdening the seals. Other factors contributed to reardrive struggles, no doubt.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OuijiVeck said:

...signs the work was done ....

It seems pretty obvious that someone has had that apart for whatever reason, but it doesn't look like the work of a "professional" workshop to me. Maybe I'm too critical, though. :huh2:

• Like 1

Ya...can't understand leaving it gobbed like that. Even I would have scraped off the excess.... 🤣 maybe they cracked it open, smeared goo in the crack and sealed it back up....?? Ain't leaking now... 

Called Seacoast Sports who had a record of servicing it 4 times but never saw a recall or see one now on that vin. ... 

Going to change the oolong tea clutch juice. See if it still SNICKS. Was waiting to do that when I did my shift spring... I guess I'm doing that sooner than latter....pull my panties up and get at it. I was NOT looking for a project or death trap. 

Any tales of warning signs besides doccs false neutrals?

• Like 1

Continuing on....

Called Piaggio again...got Willie again. Cross examined him on expiration of recall records. He was adamant there was no recall on that vin .... and they stay "forever".

Mean while I decided I'd put the shift spring in so I could get to the clutch bleeder... well I got the clutch bled and the brakes while I had the $7 dot 4 open. Never got to the tyranny cover because I spent hrs getting the shock bottle off. Pulled the starter and side cover off to get to the 10mm nylocks and invented a tool to hold the stripped out Allen button heads. I got it but had to give up because I was all out of swear words...wanted to just put theT dain plug back in so I annealed the crush washer.........🤣😄😅 then I smelled the rubber ..and that was my last swear..  .

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2024 at 10:26 AM, OuijiVeck said:

Just called Puaggio /Moto Guzzi USA............WILLIE says my VIN not on recall "uneffected"  hmm...not from my reading on this thread. .. zGUKRAKXXXM112170.  And there's that SNICK! into 3rd...haven't played with 6th. ..I take it they're on the same SHAFT (shut yo mouth!)

@OuijiVeck, did you "X" out your 8th, 9th, and 10th characters, or are they all actually "X?"

If so, your V11 is a 1999 and precedes the affected range. What is the month-year build date inscribed on the metal tag on the left of the headstock?

Affected range of gearbox recall, 2000 -2001:

----------YM111929 (YM=2000, serial # = 929th V11 manufactured that year)

--->   through ---------1M114435 (1M= 2001, through the 4,435th V11 that year [probably all of them]).

Thanks Gents...the xxx was me but I do have odd leters...an ROY in there ..will definitely refer to build date. How often have you hoped the vehicle you just bought is a year older than you thought?🤣 and I might get that remote bleeder...or just bleed it with each Tyre change.

Really thanks.. ... yuz guz are great. !

• Like 1

"Y" in the tenth place is year 2000, putting your "112170" just barely into range.

The tenth character "X" (1999) versus "Y" (2000) makes all the difference . . .

• Like 1

Read Dave Richardsons book "My Life in bikes" if you want an idea of the competency of Guzzi USA. Dave ran the Guzzi dealership Moto international for over 20 years and saw it all. Worth a read for sure if you're into Guzzis and the behind the scenes machinations of running a Guzzi dealership. 

Phil