Don't forget to grease, check your rear drive shaft splines.

Tomchri

Lucky to get away with a new shaft and spline connector.

Cheers Tom. 3e9a33a4bf730d6bd5c8d0defc3c604a.jpgc2f19dc2a4c0e8196fb529762cea586d.jpgb704d9fb1aea6673446cfd6f497668b4.jpg2bd94f77451b84eeb6615a30a65f33ae.jpgd44bd5e8cdecc9e3ecb2e2059f08ff1f.jpg

Sent fra min SM-S906B via Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I'm sure it is posted several times elsewhere, but just for anyone's reference if they search and find this thread:  What is the "best" grease to use on these splines?  I thought I recall someone posting a BMW part number they thought was ideal.

1 hour ago, al_roethlisberger said:

I'm sure it is posted several times elsewhere, but just for anyone's reference if they search and find this thread:  What is the "best" grease to use on these splines?  I thought I recall someone posting a BMW part number they thought was ideal.

Tom;    Tks very much for sharing the timely reminder & photographic evidence that preventative maintenance is required there. I've got that filed away and the next time I'm working on that area of the bike,it'll be on my to do list.

Al, re the best spline grease, there have been a few different oem brand greases recommended ie Honda,BMW etc,but most of the elder guzzisti sages in the know have recommended Wurth SIG3000; up here in Canuckistan it's as rare as hen's teeth I could never find it,so I've picked up a variety of different moly lubes over the years.

I was pleasantly surprised last summer,when I dropped into Bromley Tractor Supply way up in the the boonies in Douglas,I was picking up hydraulic controller parts for my rebranded Kioti Tactor and spotted tubes of Wurth SIG3000 up on their shelf,the price marked on it was very reasonable $15.

All that to say, it's a great sticky grease,probably worth the effort to find it & if you have trouble locating it,calls to a local tractor shop, might pay off.

fwiw

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 80CX100 said:

Tom;    Tks very much for sharing the timely reminder & photographic evidence that preventative maintenance is required there. I've got that filed away and the next time I'm working on that area of the bike,it'll be on my to do list.

Al, re the best spline grease, there have been a few different oem brand greases recommended ie Honda,BMW etc,but most of the elder guzzisti sages in the know have recommended Wurth SIG3000; up here in Canuckistan it's as rare as hen's teeth I could never find it,so I've picked up a variety of different moly lubes over the years.

I was pleasantly surprised last summer,when I dropped into Bromley Tractor Supply way up in the the boonies in Douglas,I was picking up hydraulic controller parts for my rebranded Kioti Tactor and spotted tubes of Wurth SIG3000 up on their shelf,the price marked on it was very reasonable $15.

All that to say, it's a great sticky grease,probably worth the effort to find it & if you have trouble locating it,calls to a local tractor shop, might pay off.

fwiw

Thanks!  It must be good since it's called "Super Impact Grease"  ^_^

https://www.wurthusa.com/Chemical-Product/Lubricants/Grease/SIG-3000-Super-Impact-Grease-14-oz-cartridge/p/0890401000

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1914

• Like 1

2 hours ago, al_roethlisberger said:

... a BMW part number...

I believe BMW recommends Staburags for some applications. Don't know much about it myself, but it gets mentioned regularly in the German forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, audiomick said:

I believe BMW recommends Staburags for some applications. Don't know much about it myself, but it gets mentioned regularly in the German forum.

Klüber Staburags has its place on the V11, as well . . .

IMG_3094.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

81 le Mans ready, waiting for some weather. Lesson learned about greasing my splines. Did it take long before 1000S was checked, NO. All good to thou, cleaning and Staburags.
Cheers Tom. 255a20114f955d4811386ddbe9faddc1.jpgfd42284a77a21e92f5a56aafd4085fcf.jpg86ae88e37650469755142f6f98c963e8.jpg

Sent fra min SM-S906B via Tapatalk

• Like 3

Indeed. A bloke might almost get a wee bit jealous looking at photos like that. :(

That tin on the bench with the handlebar clamps on it, I've got one of those. It was a birthday present last year. I use it to store the good chocolate. :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, footgoose said:

Your shop!   what a marvel.   How can you ever leave it?

Thanks footgoose.    I'm there every day when home :rasta::bier:. It's 143square m, still rom for,,

Cheers Tom. 

• Like 2