Moto Guzzi V100 Stelvio

v11_meticcio

2 hours ago, al_roethlisberger said:

Quota's are definitely an "oddball" in that you never see them.

I've never seen one in person.

I wonder how many MG sold.

I've never seen one in person either,but after reading about them,I'd love to try one,just to sample the power band.

Greg Field's book, Moto Guzzi Big Twins, doesn't have the production totals but he has comments from Dr John Wittner; he was a major part of the original Quota 1000 in 1989ish.

Roughly 10 yrs later, late 90's,Dr John was apparently the one that pushed for a variant of our 1064 cc ECU/EFI to create the ultimate guzzi dirt bike Quota 1100ES.

The 1064 engine was designed & tuned to be the ultimate in tractable torquey power.

90 percent of peak torque was available from 2800-5800 rpm;the magic apparently came from medium size valves,a single central throttle body EFI with smooth long intake runners & a header crossover.

I think the Quotas have a good rep, but iirc some of them have problems with some type of cracking exhaust/header/connector issues.

fwiw

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Speedfrog said:

I feel you mon Ami, that's a panier:

osier-et-bois-panier-29.jpg

That appears to be a pain panier . . . "bread basket" . . .:sun:

2 minutes ago, docc said:

... a pain panier . . . "bread basket" . . .:sun:

From the Wiki article that I linked to:

The term (pannier) derives from a Middle English borrowing of the Old French panier, meaning 'bread basket'.

Docc apparently really does know everything. :D

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Speedfrog said:

An Australian and an American walk into a French bakery. The Australian says....

"I'm here for the pain."

• Haha 3

I will always remember this version of the Quota at my dealer when I bought my Sport. It has always captivated me, yet the height/weight seems unwieldy for me. While I have not ridden one, I recall a pair of them struggling on switchbacks in the West Virginia hills/"mountains". One of them had grounded a "pannier"/ hard side case, that had pitched him off. :o

572700.jpg?231060&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=dec69c4

"Dr. John's DirtBike" . . .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, docc said:

I will always remember this version of the Quota at my dealer when I bought my Sport. It has always captivated me, yet the height/weight seems unwieldy for me. While I have not ridden one, I recall a pair of them struggling on switchbacks in the West Virginia hills/"mountains". One of them had grounded a "pannier"/ hard side case, that had pitched him off. :o

572700.jpg?231060&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=dec69c4

"Dr. John's DirtBike" . . .

Yeah..540 lbs dry, 32.5 seat height...That'll do it...:ph34r:

• Haha 1

So far, did not get a single reply from the sellers of QUOTA. The one Facebook Marketplace is in Sherman Texas.

Not only the QUOTA are rare, but they also play hard to get.

I mean, at 3000 USD, there is no way curiosity can kill the cat!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Speedfrog said:

I feel you mon Ami, that's a panier:

osier-et-bois-panier-29.jpg

There are so many different versions of the panier, but indeed, it derives from pain; Initially, used to deliver it so it was longer for the Baguettes. Wickerwork exclusively.

Pain and the panier to transport it was one of the major staple of any French mean, starting with Breakfast. Back in the days, at each restaurant you would find bread on the table, with butter. Later the panier was replaced by a paper sleeve for transportation.

Kids would go every singe day to get the bread.

Putting those on motorcycles? who came up with the idea to call them Panniers?

22 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

I've never seen one in person either,but after reading about them,I'd love to try one,just to sample the power band.

Greg Field's book, Moto Guzzi Big Twins, doesn't have the production totals but he has comments from Dr John Wittner; he was a major part of the original Quota 1000 in 1989ish.

Roughly 10 yrs later, late 90's,Dr John was apparently the one that pushed for a variant of our 1064 cc ECU/EFI to create the ultimate guzzi dirt bike Quota 1100ES.

The 1064 engine was designed & tuned to be the ultimate in tractable torquey power.

90 percent of peak torque was available from 2800-5800 rpm;the magic apparently came from medium size valves,a single central throttle body EFI with smooth long intake runners & a header crossover.

I think the Quotas have a good rep, but iirc some of them have problems with some type of cracking exhaust/header/connector issues.

fwiw

As a more or less proud owner and rider of the Quota 1100 ES who tried the Quota 1000 of my friends few times - the 1000 is to me the way better and stiffer offroad bike if you are my size or taller. Forget about the Quota if you are below 5`9 - you will have no fun riding it. The bigger you are the better you feel - it was called the Arnold Schwarzenegger Adventure Bike in 1999 here.

The magic torque block between 2800-5000 is real, if you use the goofy factory central body EFI with the long intake. But beside goofy me everybody here got rid of this and mounted either some highly sophisticated german injection engineering or switched back to Quota 1000 carbs. And they all claim that their bike became way better than my vanilla petrol-champagne dromedario.

To me the factory 1100ES setup is a nice bike to travel 600mls to mediteranean beaches on tarmac roads but it is way too soft for any real offroad.

A special problem is the front break (no ABS those days) combined with the soft front fork on gravel - soft break = noooooo breaking (increase break pressure = front dives deep and suddenly without warning you loose the front and feel the amazing heavy bike - time to leave ship.

The good thing about the big heavy dromedario - it never breaks. I did real stuntman like things with this bike on my trips to italy or france  - including jump from a trailer and frontal crashing into a Fiat Seicento. Only broken parts were the after market panniers and cylinder protectors - frame, exhaust, forks, engine - perfectly fine every time - i had to jump from the back.

So Stelvio(ABS) is nice, V100 Stelvio with proactive Öhlins - maybe better - but i am too used to my ES1100 dromedario to switch.large.19112011066.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for your thoughts....

1000 or 1100ES, at this point any would be fine; but silence is all I got from those who posted their bikes for sale.

I am 6.0, but what really is important is the inseam. The Stelvio I tried was with the seat in the high position, and only the front of my feet touched the ground while sitting. I was not aware of the low seat position at the time.

I am used to ride without ABS, and with drum brakes. Not saying that ABS is superfluous, but I have done emergency braking with the Le Mans including one that should have required a fresh set of underwear. I am riding on Road 5, so maybe this as something to do with it.

Not sure I would like the QUOTA, but I am intrigued.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, p6x said:

Thanks for your thoughts....

1000 or 1100ES, at this point any would be fine; but silence is all I got from those who posted their bikes for sale.

I am 6.0, but what really is important is the inseam. The Stelvio I tried was with the seat in the high position, and only the front of my feet touched the ground while sitting. I was not aware of the low seat position at the time.

I am used to ride without ABS, and with drum brakes. Not saying that ABS is superfluous, but I have done emergency braking with the Le Mans including one that should have required a fresh set of underwear. I am riding on Road 5, so maybe this as something to do with it.

Not sure I would like the QUOTA, but I am intrigued.

Ridden both bikes - they feel very different from factory setup:

Quota 1100ES has a lowered seat height of 840mm compared to the 870mm of the Quota 1000 and way softer front fork. The double disc breaking system on the ES1100 front was infamous for fading and problems with mismatched  brake pads materials.

The thin larger front wheel and the thick smaller rear wheel, combined with the torque engine - another goofy detail that can lead to interesting driving experiences with the 1100ES - you can drag the bike slowly forward with the front brake 'locked'- the thin front wheel gets simply pushed over.

So my personal rating of the old big block Guzzi adventure bikes -

Quota 1000 - biggest enduro made before 2000- for tall guys and hardcore fans - reliable but hard, very good base for tuning

Quota ES1100 - the quirky one - you need to invest a lot 'to cure' all it´s flaws  - or you accept them and enjoy the feel to sway over the highway with 80-90mph given by the ultrasoft factory setup  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2