Crossover question

activpop

I noticed on p6x's pictures of the Quota he is checking out there is a crossover pipe in front of the engine. It looks like a welded connection on the main pipes and a clamp in the middle. It is hard to tell from the pic but I'm assuming it is a clamp. On the bike I looked at Tuesday it had a crossover pipe in front of the engine also. The connection to both pipes off the engine had a short welded stub forming a T with what I assume was a female connection with a clamp on either side to accept the crossover pipe. What I did not understand was why the short crossover pipe was loose in both ends under the clamp...it just rattled around. I asked him why it was like that. He replied he didnt know, but he said he tightened up the clamps as tight as he could. Also I noticed that the crossover pipe was safety wired. Was something amiss there? He said they were aftermarket pipes that went straight to the mufflers, instead of through the balance box I am used to seeing on the underside. He also had the balance box to go with the bike, but no pipes. So I am guessing the pipes were aftermarket like he said, but don't have a clue why the present crossover pipe was so loose. I'm going to dig up some Ballabio pics to see what the stock exhaust looks like. Anybody know whats going on here?

The crossover pipes connecting the headers are factory standard on ‘03 - ‘04 V11’s models. They are sealed at the joints with graphite gaskets and are known to loosen up overtime and rattle...

Check out this thread, you might find it instructive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I remember when the common wisdom was, "They get loose, but can't fall out."

From a first hand incident, "Yes, they can fall out." 

Much to the dismay, and disarray, of the bikes following behind . . . :wacko:

• Haha 1

You can buy replacement header pipes that don't have the crossover, or you can swap in header pipes from a different year V11 that don't have the crossover pipe. Or you can try to make the crossover not rattle.

Seems easier to get rid of it. Here are brand new header pipes that lack the crossover. https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-rx-v11s-headers Not cheap, but brand new high quality stuff. You may also be able to find used header pipes from a different year V11. Or, as mentioned, try to tighten them up with shims.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, docc said:

I remember when the common wisdom was, "They get loose, but can't fall out."

From a first hand incident, "Yes, they can fall out." 

Much to the dismay, and disarray, of the bikes following behind . . . :wacko:

I guess that's why it was safety wired...somebody knew.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Speedfrog said:

The crossover pipes connecting the headers are factory standard on ‘03 - ‘04 V11’s models. They are sealed at the joints with graphite gaskets and are known to loosen up overtime and rattle...

Check out this thread, you might find it instructive.

The wisdom on this site and the wealth of info from past posts blows me away. You are right.  I looked up stock new Ballabios and the pipes certainly look to be the same. Owner said they were aftermarket. 

Who cares if there’s a bit of wobble? It’s whether they leak is what matters here

I have the front crossover on my bike & never observed so much as a gnat’s fart emanating from said bung

hole

On 6/3/2023 at 2:32 AM, ScuRoo said:

Who cares if there’s a bit of wobble? It’s whether they leak is what matters here

I have the front crossover on my bike & never observed so much as a gnat’s fart emanating from said bung

hole

No doubt if they don't leak they aren't an issue. The problem is for some they rattle, for others they leak, and for at least one lucky winner the pipe fell off.

Mine wobbles too. I used a gas leak detection aerosol to find out if the wobble was more than just that.

The Quota's I saw on Friday had its solid; solid as a rock! I thought how strange they get it right before, and make it worse later?

This video describes it perfectly....

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2023 at 11:27 PM, activpop said:

He said they were aftermarket pipes that went straight to the mufflers,

Why doubt what you were told? 

There are some aftermarket joiners from memory that were split in two halves which were inserted & clamped rock solid tight from reports.

I had mentally noted them in case - but because I don’t hear any rattles or leakage the inert movement I only produce by hand is not worth fixating

I had the same problem on the 2003 Lemans I bought. I think it's MPH cycles that sells the stainless steel collars that will fix the problem. Around $70 if I remember right.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2