Agricultural noise or engine damage? Help needed for trouble-shooting engine noise & vibration.

Guzzi-in-Vancouver

So today I experienced a loss of engine power, unusual shaking and vibrations, and the engine oil light came on. Then the bike lost power, the engine cut out and then had difficulty starting. I barely made it home on severely reduced power.

Some history: A few months ago I had a false alarm when the oil light came on after a hard stop. But it also came on intermittently on a short ride a few days ago. The oil & all fluids were recently changed, then, a few weeks later, one cylinder wasn't firing and the spark plugs were black with soot, and were replaced by the mechanic who gave it a good 20 minute shakedown to ensure things were running well. Other than that it runs well, the gearbox is smooth etc. (today I was practicing clutch-less upshifts and the gearbox never gave any trouble). There's no oil leakage at all, no spots on the garage floor where I park it. The oil spots in the video are from checking the oil with the dipstick, and it does look very dirty considering it was replaced this spring. 

What could these problems be caused by? I fear that I've broken something inside the engine. The engine slows down and the handlebar shake can be seen near the end of the video, and then it just cuts out. I had to limp home on very little power and low revs.

Assuming Phil is right (which I don't doubt), carefully !! check the headers after letting it run for a minute. The cold one is the cylinder that is not firing.

If both cylinders are firing, the headers will be equally warm.

Is it making a knocking/clanking noise from the engine when you open the throttle? If so I'm guessing you've run the big ends, especially given the 'Dirty oil' situation. Are you running a sloppage sheet?

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, pete roper said:

Is it making a knocking/clanking noise from the engine when you open the throttle? If so I'm guessing you've run the big ends, especially given the 'Dirty oil' situation. Are you running a sloppage sheet?

@pete roper that's what I was afraid of, and yes, the noise/vibration is worse with an open throttle, like a LUNK LUNK sound. I am running your sloppage plate. The oil light has come on intermittently for the last two rides. The oil was changed a few months ago too. I wonder what the cause was, did the oil pump give out, or something else that caused the oil pressure light to come on intermittently? I suppose this problem is not fixable and that the engine is done for?

@Lucky Phil & @audiomick both cylinders are firing, I checked the exhaust is fine on both. So unfortunately we have a big end problem... I will see if I can get a better video, but it's probably best not to run the engine any more...

• Sad 2

50 minutes ago, Guzzi-in-Vancouver said:

but it's probably best not to run the engine any more...

Yes.

If you have chewed a big end, the oil is most likely full of metal. I did a big end on a V35 a year or so ago. The oil was full of fine, silvery metal dust. Drop it out and have a look.

4 hours ago, andy york said:

Kinda looks like the left throttle body may have burped itself off the intake rubber.

just trying the simple things first.

Well spotted.

Phil

• Like 3

4 hours ago, andy york said:

Kinda looks like the left throttle body may have burped itself off the intake rubber.

and check the rubbers for dry rot cracks. the right one is suspect. get the left one reinstalled and do the "spray to reveal leaks" test on both

• Like 4

15 hours ago, gstallons said:

Well G-I-V , what did you find out ?

It will be going in for service next week. Thank you for the suggestions everyone. @andy york I checked under the boot, there's some leaking fuel there though this is not conclusive (per docc's post on not pressurizing the fuel system & this one). @footgoose I will try that, thanks for the suggestion. @audiomick will also get the pan dropped, it wasn't dropped on the last oil change. With fresh fluids and a test ride that didn't indicate anything wrong, the mechanic seems to think it isn't the big end, so I'm hoping against hope that this is not a big-end problem, though that intermittent oil light gives me nightmares. Currently searching the forum for oil lamp and oil pump issues.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2023 at 1:37 PM, andy york said:

:notworthy::luigi:  :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Guzzi-in-Vancouver said:

It will be going in for service next week. Thank you for the suggestions everyone. @andy york I checked under the boot, there's some leaking fuel there though this is not conclusive (per docc's post on not pressurizing the fuel system & this one). @footgoose I will try that, thanks for the suggestion. @audiomick will also get the pan dropped, it wasn't dropped on the last oil change. With fresh fluids and a test ride that didn't indicate anything wrong, the mechanic seems to think it isn't the big end, so I'm hoping against hope that this is not a big-end problem, though that intermittent oil light gives me nightmares. Currently searching the forum for oil lamp and oil pump issues.

Man, I would so re-seat that left throttle body into the intake rubber and restart, if even briefly.  The very low idle from the dislodged throttle body could be all there is to the oil light.

My recent Horrible Noise Story: At the Kentucky SpineRaid, I had (somehow) mis-set my new TPS (like nine steps off on the map, 95 mV instead of 157). At idle the beating, banging mechanical noise was deftly disturbing. At start-up to head home, @kalev11's eyes got wide. He said some thing like, "I hope you actually get back home."

Turns out, with the TPS indexed that far off, the battering of the motor trying to run was alarming. While this case is not the same, a throttle body off its runner could be the culprit . . .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Guzzi-in-Vancouver said:

It's very, very unlikely to be oil pump. Possibly a loose filter or the old filter gasket wasn't removed when the filter was last changed.

• Like 4

I have seen less than four oil pump problems im 50 yrs of tinkering w/things. Historically , oil filters n o-rings are at the top of the list .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1