Agricultural noise or engine damage? Help needed for trouble-shooting engine noise & vibration.

Guzzi-in-Vancouver

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, kalev11 said:

Docc, have you fixed that crazy clattering? If so, what the heck was it ?

On 6/25/2023 at 2:58 PM, docc said:

My recent Horrible Noise Story: At the Kentucky SpineRaid, I had (somehow) mis-set my new TPS (like nine steps off on the map, 95 mV instead of 157). At idle the beating, banging mechanical noise was deftly disturbing. At start-up to head home, @kalev11's eyes got wide. He said some thing like, "I hope you actually get back home."

Turns out, with the TPS indexed that far off, the battering of the motor trying to run was alarming. While this case is not the same, a throttle body off its runner could be the culprit . . .

That was shocking noise, wasn't it @kalev11 ?

Apparently, the dramatically mis-set TPS caused such running imbalance at idle that the cylinder firing combined with the wear of my flywheel to sound like nine monkeys fighting their way out of a steel barrel with ball pien hammers . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, audiomick said:

I always thought it was 12 Monkeys B)

Three more monkeys and that damn thing would have "come from together!"

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...

Just to end this story... the bike is back after a long winter, running better than ever, and boy, did it have problems that needed fixing... new alternator, new wiring harness, new rubber boots for the inlets, new oil sump... new forks have been ordered so I can send them to Andreani for a cartridge replacement/tune-up and I want to put the original bar-end weights back on, but they always shook loose and I don't know how to get them working well with the current red-anodized bar-end mirror mounts. 

I've also considered painting the valve covers red, and re-painting/anodizing the pork-chops to have everything a uniform color. Seeking  opinions (and pics) of red valve covers, because I quite like this grey stealth (beat up streetfighter) look.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Buddy , you are doing these things for YOU . No one else . Do it and then if you don't like it , you can go back to stock. I do my stuff for me. 

• Like 2

@Guzzi-in-Vancouver Don't reach out to Andreani just yet. They are about to create the kit for our 40mm Marzocchi  forks, using mine as a template. They are starting the build next week. Once done, they may offer a forum member discount. I'll report back afterward to let you know.

• Like 2

Jaap's (used to be)bike is one of the most righteous personalized V11s I've seen .

There have been a few on this site that were so pathetic I wouldn't want in my driveway.  You have to do what you think is best . 

On 2/25/2024 at 11:24 AM, Guzzi-in-Vancouver said:

I want to put the original bar-end weights back on, but they always shook loose and I don't know how to get them working well with the current red-anodized bar-end mirror mounts.

I bought folding Ken Sean bar-end mirrors. They came with horrible soft rubber plugs that allowed the mirrors to vibrate too much and would not hold their position. I bought some Delrin rod online and worked them down so they would slip into the bars. Bored them through at 8mm and cut in two at a 60º or so angle so that they would wedge into the bar. Placed an M8 serrated flange nut on the inside and it stays in place when tightening them. They were a bit of a pain to fabricate, but have worked very well.  

• Like 3

On 2/26/2024 at 10:35 AM, gstallons said:

Jaap's (used to be)bike is one of the most righteous personalized V11s I've seen .

There have been a few on this site that were so pathetic I wouldn't want in my driveway.  You have to do what you think is best . 

Which one was his? Is it in his «modifications» gallery?

On 2/26/2024 at 10:30 AM, LaGrasta said:

@Guzzi-in-Vancouver Don't reach out to Andreani just yet. They are about to create the kit for our 40mm Marzocchi  forks, using mine as a template. They are starting the build next week. Once done, they may offer a forum member discount. I'll report back afterward to let you know.

I think I have 43mm forks, but I should measure them. I remember reading that the final «long-tank» models have different forks.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Guzzi-in-Vancouver said:

No , after a quick spin , I didn't see it. there are pics of it on here. Maybe Jaap will post some. It is a diamond white w/the Guzzi eagle in a large form on the body/tank . Simple and righteous.  Now , Jaap sold the bike and the new owner changed it up in Italian flag color accents. I will keep my mouth shut concerning the new paint scheme. 

5 hours ago, Guzzi-in-Vancouver said:

17 minutes ago, gstallons said:

No , after a quick spin , I didn't see it. there are pics of it on here. Maybe Jaap will post some. It is a diamond white w/the Guzzi eagle in a large form on the body/tank . Simple and righteous.  Now , Jaap sold the bike and the new owner changed it up in Italian flag color accents. I will keep my mouth shut concerning the new paint scheme. 

gallery_757_87_45464.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2