Gearbox recall status

activpop

I have been searching for a well kept, low mileage, single owner V11 for a while now. I have found a few and missed out on them for one reason or another. Distance, price or recall status all factored in. I found a beauty but recall work was not performed. Owner said he brought it in to his dealer to get the service done, and dealer refused because MG wouldn't reimburse him enough. The owners of bikes like these usual reply to me when I ask about it is they have driven it for years and never had a problem. I then move on. I know if I got a notice in the mail way back when I would have acted on it immediately, no matter how many cages I had to rattle. So my question is...are there people riding on them all over without regard for this? I dont want to take an unnecessary risk. Being prudent seems like a very reasonable thing to do IMO.

• Like 1

Each bike & owner are unique.

I "think" because guzzis are such beautiful, emotionally satisfying pieces of rolling mechanical art, there are many people quite content to park them in the garage,,, look at them or start them occasionally,but have no inclination/desire/intention of diving in and doing what it takes to make them reliable riders.

I came vary close recently,to buying a "sight unseen" Norge, it was relatively low mileage,well farkled,cheap,aaannnnnddddd in my favorite faster colour. lol 

The owner/seller had owned the bike for 3 yrs;although he was an old guzzisti,he never really rode the bike.

When I quizzed the owner about known Norge issues;he was oblivious to them,but was emphatic that he checked the oil regularly changing it every year.

When examined in person,I noted that this 16 yr old Norge never had the lack of a hole in the fairing lower addressed,,,

After 16 yrs of ownership by POs;there was still no easy way to check & add oil,, :homer:

Hidden issues like single plate clutches,recall trannies,flattie 4Vs, etc;would be very easy for a lot of owners to overlook,,,perhaps not by you or I

fwiw ymmv

• Like 2

On 7/10/2023 at 9:33 AM, activpop said:

Owner said he brought it in to his dealer to get the service done, and dealer refused because MG wouldn't reimburse him enough.

This is a common issue with recalls.

Manufacturer (used to) establish a lump sum payment for the work to be performed. At times the lump sum is below the real cost and the dealer is left to absorb the difference. Manufacturer betting on the fact the dealer is the point of contact.

So here is where it gets more confusing to me. Owner swears he never had any recall work performed. He bought it new. I run the VIN through Piaggio recall, comes up clean, no campaigns outstanding. Italians!

I seem to remember (I won't say "recall" this time :rolleyes:) that the Piaggio website is only valid for recall campaigns since 2009?

Such that any VIN prior to 2009 would not show an open campaign as the recall has "expired" whether or not he work was performed ?

Is this a possible explanation?

2 hours ago, docc said:

I seem to remember (I won't say "recall" this time :rolleyes:) that the Piaggio website is only valid for recall campaigns since 2009?

Such that any VIN prior to 2009 would not show an open campaign as the recall has "expired" whether or not he work was performed ?

Is this a possible explanation?

Yep, I think you got it. The online search site has that little line on the bottom that had me wondering about its accuracy with older bikes. Case in point...the seller, who is the original owner of the bike I am looking at swears he did not get the gearbox recall work done. The online recall site says no recall campaigns pending. So I call Piaggio in NYC, they run the number and say the recall  campaign for flexible coupler hose is not satisfied. That ends it for me. The 2009 cutoff for the online site deems it unreliable IMO for older bikes with campaigns before 2009.

5 hours ago, pete roper said:

It's also possible that the dealer Putin the claim for the work even though they didn't carry it out. I've heard of that being done before.

That could happen, but if I was the owner who got turned down by a dealer to do a required recall, I would be rattling some cages until I got it done. Seeing two recall services done on the same bike would be a red flag to the mother ship. Then there's always the  "could result in death" thing that could make things messy from a liability standpoint.

Oh quite, but it seems a lot of people don't give a shit. They seem to start a business, rip off their customers and staff, go into receivership, shut the doors, rinse and repeat! It seems to be a very 'American' way of doing business. To outsiders it's weird.

• Sad 1

Hi All,

Ok, another stupid question!  What was the Gearbox Recall?  I'll just add that to the V11 to do or check list.

Thanks,

Art

To my knowledge there are four parts needed to perform upgrade. I dont know if all are available, but that's a service I'm not comfortable doing.

1- 04211201

1- 04212401

2- 04214901