"Le Mans Sleeper" V11 in Tonti frame

4corsa

Since we're all having fun with this, 'would love to hear from the forum members which current bikes you could buy from the showroom today that you think is a more desirable design than this. I will confess that my other bike is a Thruxton RS Showcase, but I'd take this custom build with the aluminum tank and better proportions any day.

9f49a1632209276641a425d6ee67624b.jpg

• Like 5

While the lines of that exhaust are not disturbing (as some can be), and no "bandages" :grin: (relief!), something about the uninterrupted radius and clean sweep of the original V7 Sport is comforting to me . . . a gentle, liquid flowing . . .

restored-1972-moto-guzzi-v7-sport-10.jpg

Comparing that Exif custom to anything on today's showrooms seems a bit an "apples and eggcrates" exercise. :ph34r:

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, 4corsa said:

Since we're all having fun with this, 'would love to hear from the forum members which current bikes you could buy from the showroom today that you think is a more desirable design than this. I will confess that my other bike is a Thruxton RS Showcase, but I'd take this custom build with the aluminum tank and better proportions any day.

9f49a1632209276641a425d6ee67624b.jpg

I have been following this guy, "46 Works", and if he was closer to me, I would not mind commissioning something.

He has all the machinery and makes a lot of the parts himself.

To be totally honest with you, I am no longer attracted to modern bikes. I am currently salivating about the purchase of a Quota 1100ES. 

I do like the Thruxton RS and the Triumph dealership where I spend time has one since 2020 which they don't seem to be able to sell. It is customized and looks pretty good. If I had the money, I would buy this one over the café. Not because of the looks, but because of practicality.

https://www.rideironsupply.com/New-Inventory-2020-Triumph-Motorcycle-Scooter-Thruxton-RS-Jet-Black-Iron-Supply-Powersports-9184236?ref=list

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, docc said:

While the lines of that exhaust are not disturbing (as some can be), and no "bandages" :grin: (relief!), something about the uninterrupted radius and clean sweep of the original V7 Sport is comforting to me . . . a gentle, liquid flowing . . .

restored-1972-moto-guzzi-v7-sport-10.jpg

Comparing that Exif custom to anything on today's showrooms seems a bit an "apples and eggcrates" exercise. :ph34r:

This looks like Josh’s V7 Sport

• Like 2

Since everyone is still opting for customs and vintage bikes - the Magni Filo Rosso (nero) gets my vote, and is still currently available by special order:71b28a29f1225df9b5ddb11a66c8a094.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LowRyter said:

@Joe

I think Pete has got the 1400 in a CARC bike already covered.  At least for the past 4 or 5 years.  :D

Not 'Covered' John but I've built a couple, and by 'Built' I mean built. They weren't just a 1400 motor stuffed into a 1200's cycleparts.

The 1200 and 1400 motors are two very different animals. Apart from the radically different cooling systems for the heads the 1400 heads use much smaller inlet tracts. It's one of the reasons the 1400's make less power than the 1200's. My 1400's used big port, single spark heads and have the heads machined for oiling purposes. They both make phenomenal bottom end and midrange torque but not substantially more power. That is down to the side draft head design and camming and they are both outrageously thirsty! Mark had to go to higher flow injectors as the stock ones just couldn't pour enough fuel in at higher RPM. The 8V is absurdly greedy and wasteful, it's one of the reasons it was canned. If you made it meet €5 it would be a gutless pig of a thing!

As it is, mapped and piped right it's a lovely thing to ride but *Efficient* and *Modern* are not really two words that should be used in any sentence that has Guzzi 8V in. There are some parts of it that are modern in design. The combustion chamber is very nice, but one swallow does not a summer make unfortunately. That's why they had to go to the 'Ugly as a hat full of farty arseholes' V100 motor for the next generation bikes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, p6x said:

...this guy, "46 Works",...

Yes, I've seen a couple of his films. Fascinating to watch him work.

The one that particularly got me was one in which he was hand bending titanium headers. Beautiful to watch. :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 4corsa said:

...which current bikes you could buy from the showroom today that you think is a more desirable design than this

Without the "more desireable", rather "bearable": The current retro Z900 Kawasaki is pretty enough, but I would have to change the bars immediately. The are too reminiscent of the absurd street fighter asthetic for my taste, and ergonomically pretty senseless in my opinion.

The Thruxton is pretty, but I don't like parallel twin motors.

Otherwise, the list is very, very short. There is a modern design Kawasaki that I would be interested to ride, the H2 SX SE. A technically interesting package that would be ideal if it had a shaft drive. Unfortunately not really pretty, but a bit less ugly than some others.

In the Guzzi stable: the V7 850 is quite pretty, but I'd like one with clip-ons.

The V85 TT is not my cup of tea; I don't like chook-chasers.

The V100 is a lot prettier in person than in the photos, I reckon. It would be ok, although the styling is a little too "general use motorcycle" to get me excited.