Front brake rotors - What's the go-to?

CSP Rider

What's everyone replacing their front brake rotors (or discs if you prefer) with? Looks like these Brembo units from MG Cycle should work, but curious as to any feedback and/or alternatives available. 

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=110_134&products_id=5511

Cheers. 

That's what I used for my replacements on the early Sport with the round holes. Then swore off aggressive HH rotor-eating pads . . .

These rotors are rated for FF, FG or maybe GG pads . . .

"Sintered HH" SHH will give great stopping power. Plan on changing the rotors with the pads. Like a Volvo. :whistle: :huh: <_<

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, docc said:

That's what I used for my replacements on the early Sport with the round holes. Then swore off aggressive HH rotor-eating pads . . .

These rotors are rated for FF or maybe FG pads . . .

"Sintered HH" SHH will give great stopping power. Plan on changing the rotors with the pads. Like a Volvo. :whistle: :huh: <_<

Thanks docc. I did read thru your recent thread on the pads and was planning on trying the EBC organic GG rated pads that were referenced there... 

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=110_122&products_id=1604

Volvo sounds like they've taken a page out of BMWs book with the "replace all" approach. As much as I like new brakes my wallet sure doesn't... :o

• Like 2

On that same link, if you scroll down you'll see the EBC rotors. I used a pair of those once, and was happy with them. But keeping the brakes all original with Brembo parts would be the surest bet (but not likely to be the least expensive).

• Like 3

I fitted Aprilia disks to my bike after the original disks wore below limits. Part number: AP8133781, Brand: Sunstar. "Vespa APC Aprilia Derbi Gilera Piaggio Scarabeo genuine spare parts" written on packaging.

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/topic/23922-encyclopedia-of-compatible-parts/?do=findComment&comment=231694

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

I fitted Aprilia disks to my bike after the original disks wore below limits. Part number: AP8133781, Brand: Sunstar. "Vespa APC Aprilia Derbi Gilera Piaggio Scarabeo genuine spare parts" written on packaging.

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/topic/23922-encyclopedia-of-compatible-parts/?do=findComment&comment=231694

That's what I did too. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2023 at 5:12 AM, MartyNZ said:

Is there a shop within the EU that still sells the rotors at a 'reasonable' price?
The only options that I can find are 400+ euro's for just 1 rotor.

1 hour ago, BramF said:

Is there a shop within the EU that still sells the rotors at a 'reasonable' price?
The only options that I can find are 400+ euro's for just 1 rotor.

Have you seen this: Front brake disc 320 mm, Griso 1100, 307,97 € (hmb-moto.de) 307,97 €

or even cheaper: Front brake disc 320 mm, V11, Cali EV, Jackal, Stone etc., 199,00 € (hmb-moto.de) 199,00 €

Röttenbach is just down the road about 7 hours away from Gld :D

Moto Guzzi manual lists part number GU01613330 Front brake disc, quantity 2

• Thanks 1

You can use "Braking" disks or Galfer disks. I have used both. The part is as common a fit as mud. The Braking disks are mono directional so separate part numbers and the Galfer are Uni directional so same number. Same disk as my 2003 Ducati 1000SS and many other bikes. I can get the numbers if anyone needs them. I have the Braking disks on my 1000SS and the Galfers on the V11. Shopping around I think you can buy a pair new for around 550-600usd.

Phil 

IMG_3360.JPG

DSC00575.JPG

• Like 3

I used Brembo T-Drive rotors, for the way they look; I use Braking brake pads exclusively where I can, and have for 30 years. There's something about the feel of Braking's pads that is buttery smooth while being very progressive and as strong as you can ask for and most importantly, as kind to rotors as anything I've ever abused. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, O2 V11 said:

Just make sure you email them before you order. I bought and paid for a new Brembo calliper from them a few weeks ago and they informed me they aren't available anymore which I already knew. So they don't stock stuff. They refunded my payment promptly but I lost out on the exchange rate and charges and they had my funds for 5 or 6 days.

I mentioned this scenario in a recent post. None of these sellers carry stock and they don't keep track of the availability from their suppliers. Personally I'd go for wave disks myself.

Phil

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips! Have contacted a few of the sellers, just waiting for a response from them.

Somehow I do find it strange that these Brembo original discs still go for such a high price, considering they are used on a lot of bikes.

Update:

Just got a reply from my local Piaggio/Moto Guzzi dealer, they can supply the discs at 430 euro's a piece:blink:

• Thanks 1

My brake seem ok.  how do I know to change them out?  They seem to stop and OK and dont vibrate.  I've never changed out rotors on any bike.  I've only changed pads.  All my Guzzis have EBC HH pads.

For my Duc, by comparison, the Brembo organic pads (DD? CC?) seem to stop better and have better feel.  A fellow from the forum sold me all 4 OEM front for $40.

Anyway. I could use advice and pass on my experience.