New Stelvio is here.

Randy

I have zero interest in the Stelvio, but am glad to see a new Stelvio as it is hopefully a precursor to a proper Guzzi with the new engine. A modern V11 Sport / LeMans using that engine would be wonderful. Or maybe a modern Griso. Heck, I would love an MGS-01 with that engine, but I suspect that is a bridge too far.

• Like 4

My guess is that there won't be a 'sporty' version with this engine. I don't know how it is in the US, but sportsbikes don't sell that well anymore. Guzzi now has the V7 retro series, a sportstourer V100 and the new Stelvio. I think they will keep the V85TT for now, because the 850 class is interesting in Italy. I wouldn't be surprised if they come up with a 850 Stelvio, based on the V100. 

I'm not seeing any pics of the "new" Stelvio with bags/panniers.  Where am I supposed to put all my stuff??!!   

5 hours ago, Admin Jaap said:

My guess is that there won't be a 'sporty' version with this engine. I don't know how it is in the US, but sportsbikes don't sell that well anymore. Guzzi now has the V7 retro series, a sportstourer V100 and the new Stelvio. I think they will keep the V85TT for now, because the 850 class is interesting in Italy. I wouldn't be surprised if they come up with a 850 Stelvio, based on the V100. 

I feel the same. The only sports models that sell are the retro café racer looking bikes. I think Piaggio has chosen to use the V7 series for that purpose.

In Texas, the scene is pretty much Harley Davidson and Indian oriented, based on what I see around. The sports bikes are usually ridden by a specific trench of the population. Some of them with the longer back frame. I have seen several Hayabusa like this.

But who knows.

2 hours ago, audiomick said:

I'm quite sure there will be panniers available. A bike in that segment that doesn't have them would not sell very well at all. :huh2:

I concur.

You can count on having the Stelvio coming out with a full line of travel accessories.

Around here "sportbikes" are not very popular, but "sporty" bikes are huge. All the Japanese manufacturers have sporty bikes, both naked ones and semi faired ones. A V11 is a naked sporty bike, and a Lemans is a semi faired naked bike. Both would fit in fine with what most of the other manufacturers are doing. 

Sportbikes still sell, but not as much as they used to. All the manufacturers still sell sportbikes, but fewer options in fewer displacement ranges. Thus, a modern replacement for the MGS-01 seems unlikely. But a modern replacement for the V11 Sport and Lemans seems like an obvious choice. If they only want to sell two wheeled SUVs and retro bikes,  they can do that but will never sell enough to grow the company. And they sure won't sell one to me. We will see. My money is on more versions of the new bike.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

Around here "sportbikes" are not very popular, but "sporty" bikes are huge. All the Japanese manufacturers have sporty bikes, both naked ones and semi faired ones. A V11 is a naked sporty bike, and a Lemans is a semi faired naked bike. Both would fit in fine with what most of the other manufacturers are doing. 

Sportbikes still sell, but not as much as they used to. All the manufacturers still sell sportbikes, but fewer options in fewer displacement ranges. Thus, a modern replacement for the MGS-01 seems unlikely. But a modern replacement for the V11 Sport and Lemans seems like an obvious choice. If they only want to sell two wheeled SUVs and retro bikes,  they can do that but will never sell enough to grow the company. And they sure won't sell one to me. We will see. My money is on more versions of the new bike.

My understanding, according to my favorite dealership, is that Moto Guzzi sale figures are low in the USA, which I don't have trouble to believe. I would suspect that Piaggio's market studies are based on the European market. The best sellers in Europe are the adventure bikes;

We will most likely have to wait one more year to see if Moto Guzzi will come up with a sporty V100.

As of my typing, I have to sadly say that I have not seen a single V100 around. And Paris is a bustling motorcycle city. I have seen many V85TT though. I don't know if that means anything.

Maybe @v11_meticcio will be able to ask a Piaggio official at EICMA, if he goes to the show. Providing he can get an answer. Nevertheless, I like the air cooled Guzzi engines more.