The Gore-Tex mind flooding paradoxe explained by our dear Fortnine!

The video: the bloke is a professional smart-arse, as far as I'm concerned. Not that he is telling fibs, but the "I have understood it" is hard to take.

Gore-tex: in Germany, Gore-tex is "Sondermüll", i.e. hazardous waste. It can't be re-cycled, doesn't bio-degrade, burning it is apparently not an option. :huh2:

I prefer waxed cotton or leather, and wool underneath. Or Sheepsking, when it is not likely to rain. Heavy, but probably better for the environment. Maybe. B)

Interesting.

I remember when Goretex was first used in outdoor gear. It was supposed to be the ultimate in breathable,waterproof gear.

I was disappointed in it overall,,,tks to the video,I now know why I always sweat my a** off wearing my Gore-Tex in the rain.

I agree with his thoughts on using any type of waterproof outer shell,,,if it keeps you dry.

As AudioMick says,when it gets cold or wet,wool,with extra layers,works for me.

• Like 1

I realized a long time ago the benefits of Gortex. I also know it is not your own HVAC system. Even if it could expel moisture, it couldn't do it at a rate fast enough to keep up with the moisture produced from exertion. That's where your wicking base layers and warmer medium layers come into play. Gortex does what it needs to do for me...keep me dry. I have noticed over many decades as a PNW duck hunter there is a difference between different shells and jackets. The difference lies in the construction and the quality of the seams. Quality products have better longer lasting seams. Sure, they cost more, but when you're running up the Gilbert River at 4:30 in the morning in a driving rainstorm, the price of your garment is the last thing on your mind.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, audiomick said:

The video: the bloke is a professional smart-arse, as far as I'm concerned. Not that he is telling fibs, but the "I have understood it" is hard to take.

I have posted several of his videos. He makes a living out of them, but at least, they are well made and funny to watch.

I have used miles of PTFE/Teflon tape, especially on national pipe thread valves, nipples and so forth.

3 minutes ago, p6x said:

I have used miles of PTFE/Teflon tape, especially on national pipe thread valves, nipples and so forth.

And she likes it like that? :ph34r: :sun: :huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think @activpop got it exactly right, you can’t expect a garment, no matter how sophisticated, to regulate the moisture content happening inside of it when in an environment close to 100% humidity, but you can minimize the discomfort with proper layering and the use of aptly placed ventilation such as pit zips.

When Goretex first made it to the market, for me, as an avid skier and all around mountain outdoor enthusiast living in the snow 5 months of the year, as for most of my peers in the high mountain living community, it was a game changer. Not just for their newly developed membrane but also for the quality of the fabrics and the high technical level of construction and design associated with it. It really ushered a new era of technical clothing for the extreme sports and the outdoor world in general.

Nowadays many manufacturers produce equally good technical clothing with their own proprietary membrane and fabrics at more affordable prices but Goretex sill remains the number one recognized name for quality outdoor sports technical fabrics.

The juggernaut they have become, commanding beyond reasonable prices, is perhaps a ransom of their success and certainly due to a very driven marketing strategy but credit should be given to them for spurring the technical clothing industry into more research and innovation that benefits us all.

• Like 2

I spent the big bucks (Not Guzzi content) :D for a Goretex rain suit for The Kid and some friends annual Canada fishing trip. You had to be prepared for 40s and raining out in the boat..but the Walleyes cooked on the shore were definitely worth it. In the cabin one night, one of the guys was asking how much I paid for it. "$150."  "Oh, I'd never pay that much for a rain suit.." and I chimed in, "Says the guy that's been bitching about being cold and wet.." :grin:

Don't dis my rain suit over a Carhart suit in inclement weather..:oldgit:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As we all live in distinct environments, our appreciation of Gore-Tex benefits is as diverse as expected.

Also, remember the main innovative "Gore" fabric, the ePTFE is no longer used in Gore-Tex garments today. Hence, only remains the "Gore-Tex" brand, and if we believe what we are told, they are using the same fabric as anybody else, correct?

In the Texas weather, hot and humid, I do not wear anything rain specific. I get drenched, and I dry quickly. In the most cases, it is never cold enough to make the drying process slow.

I wear my Elite Bowtex shirt, of which I purchased the XXL size while in Paris. It is porous both sides, so I don't sweat. Unlike anything Gore-Tex or assimilated.

The layer system is always the most efficient. No doubt about it.