Fuel economy variatons with different fuels

1 minute ago, docc said:

Germany in particular.

The petrol stations here (mostly...) have E5, i.e. 5% Ethanol and generally just called "Benzin" (Petrol, Gasoline) and E10, i.e. between 5 and 10% Ethanol and always designated as "E10".

Here are some Wiki links. Use deepL.com to translate if you're interested:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol-Kraftstoff

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/E10_(Kraftstoff)

Here, it seems to be based on an EU directive

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richtlinie_2009/28/EG_(Erneuerbare-Energien-Richtlinie)

• Thanks 1

Shell V power 98 octane E5, but Shell says no ethanol in it. St 1 is now taking over Shell stations, so hopefully 98 octane further. Esso has 98 octane. Circle K only shitty fuel.  Been a lot of big complains from rescue companies, Red Cross, fire departments and so on, regarding Atv’s and other rescue vehicles sitting for a while, and will not work because of bad fuel. 
The whole world is suffering from the decision parrot morons, oh well Friday so IPA time here. :bier:  :rasta:.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, docc said:

With "up to 10% ethanol" in US fuels, I have asked before about other countries; Germany in particular.

Is this 10% ethanol thing worldwide?

We still get a choice here docc between E10, regular standard(91) 95 octane and 98 octane PULP thank god. How long it will last I don't know.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/15/2023 at 6:07 PM, 80CX100 said:

Iirc,I read recently on this forum or another one idk?

Apparently fuel distributors sell the primo higher quality gas from the top 1/2 or 2/3 of the huge gasoline storage tanks,to the big,brand name fuel companies.

The bottom 1/2 or 1/3 is sold to the discount gas chain outlets;logically,it will contain more sediment & water.

If storage tank maintenance or management is sub par,that fuel at the discount gas station might contain a lot more water & sediment.

HHhhhmmm

Unless it has changed , there is a large fuel distributor in Paducah and when a tanker fills up , they use a "credit card" to swipe and get the additives mixed in when the fuel is filling the tanker. Shell , BP . Exxon , etc. comes from the same terminal . These cheap gas pumps at convenience stores have ZERO additives to their fuels. This is where mileage becomes a factor. AFA , water in the tanks , truckers delivering the fuel should be sticking the tanks before and after w/this paste applied to the end of a long wooden stick to check for water .

There E85 fuel pumps over in Mo. and they sell a lot of fuel.  Whew , talk about poor MPG ! 

15 hours ago, audiomick said:

Your taste buds are obviously broken. :grin:

30 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

One word:

projection 

Reminds of thread that has been dormant for a while:

• Like 2

Firstly, last checked, these V11s should only be getting 91+. 

Times when I know I'm blowing through a full tank, I'll run fuel system cleaner to clean the throttle bodies. I know not to let that stuff sit in the tank or it'll eat the tank up. 

But running 91 with clean injectors, if ran like a rational human being, though a tuned ECU, I can squeeze 38-42mpg. The fuel light will pop on at around 175-190mi but will still a bit. But riding like I stole it? 32.. 

If you're on top of maintenence, clean injectors, fuel filter, oil, etc, these are pretty good economically. Despite being a big girl. 

• Like 2