Guzzi meeting in John Day 2024

• 1 month later...

So who all from this forum thinks they’ll be at the john day event?  Curious. 

• Like 1

I'll be there....likely on the Norge, not the Scura.  Was there back in 2016 as well....should be a nice ride out and about.

• Like 1

Norge seems like the right bike for that lovely route & distance.  I’m doing the Lemans because it’s in the home state… perfect distance to stretch her legs a little.   

• Like 1

Last time I saw a nice collections of V11's assembled for the "group photo".  I didn't have my Scura just yet by then...but shortly thereafter.  I'll have to dig out a photo from the archives...maybe some folks here were assembled there.

I have penciled it on my calendar; it is not yet a firm "I shall be there" as I need to work out the logistics and "supply corps" of the trip.

I am not certain "supply corps" is the exact translation for the French "Intendance" which is a military term. There also was another translation, such as Stewardship and Estate Management. If you have been in the military, you understand what it means.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, p6x said:

I have penciled it on my calendar; it is not yet a firm "I shall be there" as I need to work out the logistics and "supply corps" of the trip.

You trying to set up some in flight refueling?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, activpop said:

You trying to set up some in flight refueling?

Intendance, not "indendance". I made a spelling mistake.

As strange as it may be, the French Rafale can refuel from US tankers, and land and launch from US aircraft carriers.

They probably communicate by hand signals.... lol...

Back to John Day meeting 2024!!

I’ll probably ride through john day on sunday, making a bee-line though, to get home that evening after a few days on the road on the new-to-me v85tt.  Weather is typical spring…. Supposed to be pretty nice tomorrow, then cooling off again into the lower 50’s Sunday when I’ll pass through.  Can’t complain.  (Left Denver with an ok forecast…. But per usual Apple weather was way off.  Forecast for 39 deg at coldest turned into 29 (F) and wet snow.  A brutal 1.5hr slog till it cleared off.  But the V85tt handled nicely)

• Like 2

To those not familiar with John day, my humble opinion as an Oregonian and with my own subjective lenses on, is that it’s not a destination you’d normally have on your hot list.  Far from it.  But the area is beautiful.  

If I were offering advice on where to go, stay, and ride on a visit to Oregon, this area would certainly be hot on the list of recommendations.  But I’d consider staying down the road perhaps at prairie city (nifty old hotel there), though I suppose maybe it’s crowded in the summer…. Can’t say for sure these days if the wonderfully quiet area turns into a zoo in summer.  Maybe.

long distance travelers coming out to John Day and who have time, I’d recommend  including the Joseph & Enterprise area, walla walla, Bend (opposite direction), in addition to all the great more remote areas between John day and the Gorge (with the gorge also worth visiting), are where I’d generally point. Lots of scenic hot spots and sporty roads. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great suggestions!  Back in 2016…after leaving John Day I went north thru Pendleton up to Walla Walla and then we went thru Lewiston to follow the Lewis & Clark trail thru Kooskia all the way to Lolo Pass.  I think we’ll take a different route to Lewiston this time but I do want to ride the 100 miles along the Clearwater river to Lolo again..that was just spectacular riding!

We stayed at a small motel right at the intersection of the Clearwater and Selway rivers…3 Norges and a friend in a car…was a beautiful place to spend the night…and then explored miles of dirt roads along the Selway early morning the next day before heading to Lolo.  Can’t wait to do it again soon!!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

But I’d consider staying down the road perhaps at prairie city (nifty old hotel there)

I would definitively sleep at un hotel. Even if not juxtaposed to the event. There may also be some AirB&B opportunity.

18 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

Great suggestions!  Back in 2016…after leaving John Day I went north thru Pendleton up to Walla Walla and then we went thru Lewiston to follow the Lewis & Clark trail thru Kooskia all the way to Lolo Pass.  I think we’ll take a different route to Lewiston this time but I do want to ride the 100 miles along the Clearwater river to Lolo again..that was just spectacular riding!

We stayed at a small motel right at the intersection of the Clearwater and Selway rivers…3 Norges and a friend in a car…was a beautiful place to spend the night…and then explored miles of dirt roads along the Selway early morning the next day before heading to Lolo.  Can’t wait to do it again soon!!

Sounds like you've got a good feel for the good stuff up here... Lolo is always a great run, and the area all around there.  the curves are fantastic on any bike, and then if you're on an ADV bike there are lots of great offshoots into the boondocks, or on a V11 there are lots more twisties to chase. 

Not sure if this an appropriate place to throw out some other "snapshots" of nice roads, but here's a link to what I'm 99% sure is the run i've done a few times that I quite liked (google map link, fairly ubiquitous).  You can continue up the snake river to Oxbow, which is another short distance up-and-back also:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/8LiNXm6iAV2Fg6d39

Thats a neat, fairly remote route between the snake and Joseph, and then north of there up toward lewiston on the 3 is also good.  For off-road (ADV, not dirt bike) riders i have a great little route between walla walla and Anatone (off route 3, north of Joseph).  If you're out that way and want to do the Joseph OR area for those enjoyable riding routes around there, my favorite little hotel at Joseph I think I heard is selling, and maybe is selling or may shut down, but their web site is still up.  It's a quirky place, but unique in what i'd call a good way:  jenningshotel.com

i don't actually know who sets these (John Day) events up, other than the generic knowledge that it's MGNOC.  I know there are great day rides around John Day, but whether a guy would have to arrive armed with that knowledge or get it from a resource at the event I don't know.

yesterday I did the run NW from John Day toward home, up through Fossil and Condon, which is always a great ride.  A few very short sporty sections, but mostly just "mildly sporty" and lots of great scenery, and in large sections of the ride lack of vehicles.  But in late June, will be strings of tourists checking out the fossil bed stuff I assume, and will likely be HOT in some sections.

the "lonesome highway" from Vale OR, up the 26 to john day, was enjoyable.  A few grin-inducing sections, but mostly just grand scenery and a good number of sweepers.  But in that corner/quadrant of the state, there are lots of fun, remote routes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

When the curve ahead turns into a hairpin and the road turns back against itself, then you know your having a good time !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1