Breather Hose oil leak

FreyZI

Cooked the Goose?

Not many 62 degree F days in Pennsylvania in mid-February, but Saturday was such a day; Friday was slightly cooler but sunnier.  The warm weather called for Bubbles-the-Parts-Bike to come out and play.  We enjoyed a trip from Happy Valley to York, PA (100+ miles) and a night there, with return trip the following morning.  Spirited riding, including a (necessarily) short red line hill climb up the last 4000' of Waggoner's Gap Road.

As soon as I arrived in the driveway, I smelled hot oil and saw oil dripping.  Hard to tell exactly where from.  Oil's wet the top of the oil cooler and the stuff behind it, probably dripped off the lower front subframe and, with a little airflow assist, dropped onto the headers, plus all down the front of the engine and the new CF alternator cover.oil everywhere.jpg

Bubbles has been awaiting tank off maintenance since coming into my possession.  Now, it seems, Bubbles will be parked until that happens.  Hoping this can be explained by something relatively innocuous. :(

Incidentally, no Roper plate on Bubbles.  Most aggressive acceleration was up a slope.  Is this what the sloppage looks like when vented out the air box?

Yep.

It's a bugger to get at, the bike has to be mostly naked, but a fairly cheap and undramatic fix.

This is the part. I couldn't find it at Stein Dinse, although I thought I bought mine there last year. :huh2:

https://wendelmotorraeder.de/oelschlauch-entlueftung-dick_gu30157400-p-1009234.html?ref=expl

When you do your "tank-off maintenance", it's worth considering changing that out on spec. As I said, it is a bugger to get to. The tube gets old and hard, and splits eventually. That looks like your pictures, or if it is the other end (as mine was) like a leaking output shaft seal on the motor. Whilst you're in there, if in any doubt at all about it's integrity, replace it, even if it is not the cause of your current leak. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is no "cloth" woven into the rubber hose and it is typical non-Japanese quality rubber . It will deteriorate sitting on the shelf !

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick diagnosis, all, and thanks for moving to a new topic, Docc.  May be a minute before I get to it, however.  Fortunately, the other V11 is ready to ride on the next nice day.

Cheers,

Frey

• Like 1

Bloody hell.

I just replaced mine after this scenario and looks like same cause!

Thats possibly 3 of us in the last month bitten by the nefarious breather hose!

Cheers Guzzler

Ps it does look terrible and terminal doesn't it but thankfully not so!

• Like 3

is a fantastic source thread!

Here is my replacement of this breather hose. 

Crankcase oil vent hose, $20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C2Y22S?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I currently am using this on my 2003. Note: As this hose is intended for water, it is not oil certified. However others have noted no signs of wear for well over 10,000 miles. Even then, no loss of oil, only degradation of the rubber. At this price, and ease of replacement, it serves us to install, and monitor, and replace as needed versus OEM that is hardly available and cost threes times this amount.

3 minutes ago, LaGrasta said:

Here is my replacement of this breather hose. 

Same diameter? 

Yes, it fit perfect. I ride SoCal freeways to work, 25 miles one way. The entire trip I'm averaging 75-95mph. Even at extended high speeds, no leaks, no issues.

• Like 1

Many OEM hoses I found listed, weren't actually available. I agree though, if I could have purchased the OEM one, I would have. At the time, I think the only place that had it was in Germany and it was like $80 plus shipping.

Interesting enough, I only paid $18, and free shipping. I see now, it cost twice that amount!

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 1.03.30 PM.png