State of Colorado Senate passed a motorcycle lane filtering and passing bill.

This is exactly the kind of traffic rule that we recently discussed with other motorcyclists in Texas.

The bill allows motorcyclists to pass stopped cars between lanes at a speed that does not exceed 15 mph.

We need this here in Houston and in every major city. The entire city access, surroundings, is nothing but a continuous traffic jam. Allowing motorcycles to move up would certainly help, and maybe inspire some four wheelers to change from 4 to 2 wheels.

• Like 2
  • p6x changed the title to State of Colorado Senate passed a motorcycle lane filtering and passing bill.

100%...ALSO allowing motos to get to the front of the line at a red stoplight would be wonderful.  

19 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

100%...ALSO allowing motos to get to the front of the line at a red stoplight would be wonderful.  

I called AMA this morning, of which I am a member, and they have some members which are implied in legislation: https://americanmotorcyclist.com/action-center/

I am going to write to my House and Senate representatives, and of course, to our Governor in trying to get something similar as the Colorado lane filtering and passing bill.  There are some studies made in Europe that actually support and prove that allowing motorcyclists to move freely between stopped cars facilitates circulation.

I also made contact with David Canada the motorcycle grand tour of Texas director, since he is an advisor for AMA.

That is good news for people living there. I could see myself moving there some day, but I suspect my lane splitting days are behind me.

Hopefully they'll pass it in Colo unlike Texas where it failed with no support in the Lege.  It just shows how little practical knowledge is out there.  I suppose that I can't blame legislators that don't ride but there should be professionals from the Dept of Public Safety that should know better and advise. 

Hopefully Colorado will do a better job.  :grin:

I believe something similar went through in Victoria, Australia (i.e. Melbourne) some years ago. @Lucky Phil or @guzzler, am I right there?

When I was still living there, it wasn't legal, but was tolerated to a great extent. I know I did it all the time.

In Leipzig it is a little more difficult. The streets are a bit narrower, and sometimes there just isn't room. And there are drivers who, if they see you coming, will edge over to block you off. Never had that in Melbourne. Bloody Germans... :grin:

@LowRyter For politicians, it is all about money and what give them a chance to be elected, reelected. I would suppose a lane splitting bill would not be seen well by the majority of the constituents, on four wheels themselves, and because they get immobilized in traffic, they pretend that everyone should be subjected to the same rules.

Even if by overtaking between the lanes, a motorcyclist does not directly increase traffic; quite the opposite, in fact. Because it is a better occupation of the asphalt, since they do not encroach in the available space, but uses what is usually free between the lanes of cars. In this way, they create more space by moving off the lines.

I initially did not know that lane splitting was not allowed in Texas, and I quickly learned my lesson by overtaking stuck cars on the 610. I had a concert of honks as I was moving up. So even if the bill passed in Texas, there would be a lot of education needed for Texans to accept it.

Good luck convincing anyone these days that letting someone else go ahead could be in their best interests. More likely to stir infuriation.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, audiomick said:

I believe something similar went through in Victoria, Australia (i.e. Melbourne) some years ago. @Lucky Phil or @guzzler, am I right there?

When I was still living there, it wasn't legal, but was tolerated to a great extent. I know I did it all the time.

In Leipzig it is a little more difficult. The streets are a bit narrower, and sometimes there just isn't room. And there are drivers who, if they see you coming, will edge over to block you off. Never had that in Melbourne. Bloody Germans... :grin:

Yes we've had lane splitting for a while now legally. Maybe 7 or 8 years.

Phil

Yep.

Not sure when it became legal but I've done it for many years!

Most drivers are good and there are some very good ones who'll move over to give you more room, but you do get the odd ----head that'll try and block you!

The commute would be a nightmare without it especially when it's hot!

Cheers 

12 hours ago, docc said:

Good luck convincing anyone these days that letting someone else go ahead could be in their best interests. More likely to stir infuriation.

There in lies the rub. No matter how good the idea is, no matter that it would actually make motorcycling safer or make cage operators commute faster because it reduces traffic, the simple perception of someone getting somewhere faster then I am is a major source of friction towards motorcycles lane splitting. In this country there will be pushback based on that, based on the superficial perception that someone else is moving quicker then I am. Never mind that it makes me actually move quicker as well by reducing traffic for me. I can't see that.