Any recommendations for one of these units? I see them advertised but haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. Some of the Chinese ones go for peanuts, but can they be counted on?

I have two sill in service Emglo portable compressors. Purchased in the late 80's. Seems they are no longer made under that name. Built heavy and work great. I wouldn't fear looking for a used one. I bought a couple of cheap Fini compressors awhile back. The one for my girl to fill her tires still works. The other one failed early.

Some additional info, may be helpful. https://www.portlandcompressor.com/compressor/Jenny/

@footgoose I am talking about those small portable ones you can carry on the bike. They look to be the size of an old transistor radio.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, activpop said:

... those small portable ones

I've experienced two in that size range. The previous car, an Opel Corsa, had one and a can of "instant repair" instead of a spare tyre, as does the current Opel Astra.

They are both of a size that one could take them on bike with capacious luggage, but big enough that I wouldn't like to unless I really had to.

I can say much about longevity, as I have only used them a total of 4 or 5 times. They do work. They are both surprisingly loud, annoyingly so, and slow. Because they are so small, I guess, the pumped volume cannot be very much, so they take a long time to deliver an appreciable amount of air.

This is what I carry on long distance trips now:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C36BBF7Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a slightly smaller one that attaches to the cigarette lighter under the seat, but decided I now wanted one w/o that requirement so I don't have to unload everything that is strapped on the seat.  Very powerful, fast, a bit heavier than the prior one, but very solid.

• Like 3

Go on ebay and find an air compressor from a Goldwing 1200 Aspencade and strip the extraneous stuff off of it. Small, compact, you can wire it as desired for connection to your battery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This "Slime" mini tire inflator (top left) stays in the Tekno with this load out including an amazing plug system (not "rope" plugs). Used it a few times. :thumbsup:

DSCN2418.jpg

I can't find any dimensions on the Slime products, but this one looks comparable:

Slime Compact Tire Inflator #40060

• Thanks 1

G'day.

Mate, we have a great resource here in Andy Strapz.

His gear is bloody good and as he's an avid rider himself anything he sells is WELL tested before he sells it.

He has a couple of them ( I'll probably buy one myself at some stage ) and believe he ships world wide.

Google him and take a look.

Cheers  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, guzzler said:

G'day.

Mate, we have a great resource here in Andy Strapz.

His gear is bloody good and as he's an avid rider himself anything he sells is WELL tested before he sells it.

He has a couple of them ( I'll probably buy one myself at some stage ) and believe he ships world wide.

Google him and take a look.

Cheers  

https://www.andystrapz.com/

https://www.andystrapz.com/category/tyre-pumps-and-gauges

• Thanks 1

I bought one of these last year. Rechargeable and the battery lasts well. Only used it for top ups but it works well for me. Small ish….

IMG_3051.jpeg

• Like 2
6 hours ago, activpop said:

@footgoose I am talking about those small portable ones you can carry on the bike. They look to be the size of an old transistor radio.

Oh Ok. :P I use air compressors professionally and they have a collecting tank. I've always called those little ones electric air pumps, or tire inflators.

I've never owned one. I'll bet the Enduro guys have some trick ones, as they often deflate tires for off road and reinflate for the road home.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, footgoose said:

I've always called those little ones electric air pumps, or tire inflators.

Quite appropriate, I reckon. :)

• Like 2
4 hours ago, footgoose said:

Oh Ok. :P I use air compressors professionally and they have a collecting tank. I've always called those little ones electric air pumps, or tire inflators.

I've never owned one. I'll bet the Enduro guys have some trick ones, as they often deflate tires for off road and reinflate for the road home.

Andy Strapz does cater to the adventure touring crowd, so his ones do look pretty handy....

Cheers 

Hope this link works- bought this one for to carry on the Himalayan. Used it to pump up both tires after making new, pleasantly surprised at the speed and volume. Both tires from flat didn't use a third of the battery. Also can use as a battery pack for your phone, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Airmoto-Tire-Inflator-Air-Compressor/dp/B094DMH7ZM?pd_rd_w=6eqO3&content-id=amzn1.sym.b46c8fe2-d558-44b6-a291-82096c829da9&pf_rd_p=b46c8fe2-d558-44b6-a291-82096c829da9&pf_rd_r=MSHTGQ06R0979TDTF2B6&pd_rd_wg=Jv8si&pd_rd_r=ddf2d170-372b-4533-8338-211ce6419cd8&pd_rd_i=B094DMH7ZM&ref_=pd_bap_d_grid_rp_0_40_nped_pr_t&th=1

• Like 4