2003 V11 Sport Naked - serial number one?

chamberlin

Bearing and spacers arrived! Now just waiting to get a blind bearing puller and bearing installer...I need a pilot bearing puller for my Jeep clutch job coming up soon (exploded throwout bearing), so I guess I'll just order a whole set of pullers.

Took some experimentation to figure out the arrangements of these parts, but after looking at the parts drawing really hard again, I think I've got it.

It's somewhat odd, in that you need to use a 25mm ID bearing on one side of the wheel, and a 20mm ID bearing on the other...but the real trick is getting the

order of the spacers right...this slides over that, in-between that bearing, and that raised shoulder etc. etc...

p.s. I wanted to mention that I got the parts below from Harper's Moto Guzzi. I've dealt with about 35 different suppliers during the course of this build so far,

and as far as USA domestic outlets go, I've had truly outstanding service from Harper's. They get parts shipped from Italy, and then ship to me in crazy record time.

They call if there is even the slightest question on anything, and are quite friendly too. Honestly, I haven't had a single *bad* transaction (thankfully),  and all my

suppliers have been great... but Harper's is a 'stand out' in my mind.

2014-07-14201307_zpse0e15596.jpg

Phil, see for yourself:

Note that the Ohlins equipped bike is the "RC-T5" under the version column. Note also that there is only qty. (1) bearing of the part #12, 20x52x15. The other bearing used is a normal #2 part, 25x52x15.

I'll see if I can take another pic for you of the axle installed (minus the 25mm bearing which is still installed in my wheel).

2003RossoCorsaFrontWheelAssembly_zpsf22f

That picture is for the marzocchi forks I think you will find. Your photo seems to be the spacer setup for the  Ohlins ( I went and checked the shop manual) I now see the Ohlins appear to have the axle spacer slide into the inner race on one side and abut the inner race on the other.

Normal config is for the inner spacer to abut the inner race on  both sides as per the std Marzocchi forks.

Ciao.

Ammend, oh I see the inset with the Ohlins spacer and bearing config.

Phil, take a look at the lower left corner of the shop manual drawing, this inset is the Rosso Corsa/Ohlins setup that I am now dealing with.

Yep I see now. Dont remember this arrangement on any of the Ohlins forks I have previously had, and there's been a few.

Ciao 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Phil! Hopefully this stuff will be helpful to some Guzzi guys.

Here is another shot, showing the freshly removed 25x52x15 bearing, the '03+ hollow axle, the spacer used on the hollow axles, and the associated hardware.

2014-07-24191827_zps31470063.jpg

I just received a brand new Moto Guzzi OEM carbon fiber front fender, and this one's made for the Ohlins equipped bikes (Scura, Rosso Corsa, Nero Corsa, Cafe Sport, Coppa Italia, Scura R).

You can compare against the "Marzocchi Mount" CF fender. The primary difference is that the Ohlins mounted fender only has a single front mounting hole per side, whereas the Marzocchi

has two front mount holes per side. There are also subtle shape and contour differences as well, such as the fork tube relief cutout on the Ohlins.

2014-07-24192216_zpsd43ef412.jpg

2014-07-24192147_zpsf9907a4f.jpg

2014-07-24192504_zps34bfc11b.jpg
2014-07-24192419_zps774cb09b.jpg

Of course, now that the bike is ready for gas and first start-up, another issue has arisen...this time of my own doing. I (thankfully) found this problem before it became a potentially "deadly event". Bottom line, do not buy crappy Chinese knockoff reservoirs....ever.

The bike's been sitting for weeks now with the new brake and clutch reservoirs. After I got done installing the wheel, I looked up and saw that the front brake reservoir hose had broken free. Puzzled, I removed the reservoir and the problem became clear....a mushy black plastic mess. Apparently the plastic they use for the hose connection nipples is not compatible with DOT4!!!! Unbelievable. Pulled the clutch reservoir, and of course the same thing on that one too. Back to the drawing board for reservoirs. The pictures tell the tale:

2014-07-26105854_zpsc4472264.jpg

2014-07-26111435_zpsb1c4180c.jpg

2014-07-26111535_zps224d4724.jpg

2014-07-26111653_zpsc1481536.jpg