Nice! Looks like a 1971 R5C. I had a 1972 R5C new back then. I've been looking for a nice R5 or RD to relive my first riding experiences.

Now, this upsets me rather greatly. That is the very Yamaha that my brother (you met this dude, in Safety Harbor, czakky) tested the ignition wire by having me hold it and kicking the bike over.

Good news: LIVE SPARK!! :o

Bad news: you can only use your brother for this one time. :glare:

• Like 2

Well BMWd if you find yourself in SW WI swing on through and take her for run.

@Docc, my younger brother is staying with me in a few days I'll see if there are any electric issues needing attention.

• Like 3

Also, I can't believe they let people ride bikes with brakes that bad...

Back then the cars had equally bad brakes so it was even.

I have an RD-400 in pieces in the garage.  Was going great guns before my Guzzi engine disaster last year.  I plan to have the RD frame back up on the bench this week.  Going for really light weight cafe with modern suspension parts.  

I always found it funny that hot rodders put new engines in old cars and motorcycle customizers like old engines with new legs...

• Like 2

That looks like all kinds of fun. I hope you don't cut it. The tank, side panels, and chrome front fender are great. The chain guard and rear fender don't appeal to me. The front drum looks so cool - but newer forks and a disc brake would let that motor live up to it's potential.

Old cars = slow. Need new motor.

Old bikes = wobbly. Need new suspension.

Everybody should hold a live plug wire at least once in their life. Czakky, it is your solemn duty to initiate your younger brother.

• Like 1

My first bike was a Honda CB350-Four. I got another one a few years ago and had basically the same rear fender and oversized chrome tail-light bracket. I thought about modifying it and I just couldn't do it. Sold it to a collector. Have fun with the mods, it's a good challenge to limit the mods to bolt-ons so that the bike could always restored back to stock.

Congrats on the new ride Bill!  A friend of mine had one that he road raced back in the 70's.  Tons of things you can do to those to really make them rip.  The Yamaha two smokers ruled the AMA road races for years.  Pretty sure you can still get all the info on modifying the ports for more go power.....as if those things needed it!