Reaction Rod

rich46

Read this phrase in an auto magazine regarding differences in performance that aren't significant in a real world setting: "within the noise." I thought this likely reflects my thinking that the rubber or urethane could limit suspension travel - yeah, could be, probably "wiithin the noise."

What rod ends would need nil lubrication?

You can get rod ends with composite bearing material that don't require lube. As the std Rossopuro ones fitted to my bike and the std gearshift linkage rod ends fitted to the V11.

Ciao 

The shift rod ends on my sport are stamped "DURBAL"

I had no idea they had composite bearing material. Good thing, 'cause I've never lubed them. :blush:

The shift rod ends on my sport are stamped "DURBAL"

I had no idea they had composite bearing material. Good thing, 'cause I've never lubed them. :blush:

Some info on maintenance free rod ends.

http://www.skf.com/au/products/bearings-units-housings/spherical-plain-bearings-bushings-rod-ends/maintenance-free-rod-ends/index.html

Ciao

Interesting thread.

I've got a question(s) though, when can a guy tell when his stock reaction rod has worn out? Too much play?....

Also, anyone know if Stein Dinse still has the Stucchi rods?

The rubber coupling will be torn from fatigue or maybe perished if its been subjected to a hi ozone environment and therefore have play.

Ciao

You may also notice shifting getting "clunky". That is a common issue with the newer CARC bikes, which while very different are really much the same.

Why would you mess about with all of this when you can run a simple cheap and light rod with rose joints at each end?

Ciao

Must be pretty chilly in Hades right about now. finding myself agreeing with LP...  :o

I understand why this is called a " reaction " rod .....

:grin:  :grin:  LOL

For the record, and I think I already posted this elsewhere, Harpers is working on a replacement rod that will accept some type of standard, replaceable, bushing - at least that's what they said about month or two ago when I talked with them.

I am not sure "axial" is exactly the right word, but I think it should have no free play in ANY direction. The most important directions would be up and down, fore and aft. It should be solidly mounted at both ends, once at the frame and once at the bevel box.

If you were to grab the reaction rod while it is installed it should not move. Reality says it may have a tiny amount of play, but more than that I would be worried.

Theory only, unless someone knows the engineer that designed it .....

The box itself is captured by the axle in the swingarm. Not going to have any"movement" there.

We have a 2- piece driveshaft that is capable of being "variable" length.

With the stock rod in place with stock bushings there is a limited amount of up and down movement.

Now this is my own thought....the box could care less about what kind of rod ends are on the Reaction rod.

The only movement the rod is trying to prevent is the box "climbing the gears " as we accelerate

and "falling down" as we decell". It will also  keep the driveshaft within a certain parameters throughout 

its movement.

I was one of the early ones that made a nylon type bushing for mine. I have 100,000 miles on it and 115,000

on the bike.Whether it was the right thing to do...only more time will tell. so far so good 

the experiment I did was to remove the rear wheel and reinstall the box with axle and tighten up.I took the bottom 

shock mount out and installed a good stock reaction rod. Not much up and down movement.

You could get the box to sit a whatever Height you tighten the Rod. Put my rod back in with homemade bushings...

and as we say down here....It was smooth as butter. Full travel of the swingarm.

Maybe I was wrong ....maybe I was right ....it sure rides nice     :race: