What [music] do you listen to? Share your favs

10 minutes ago, fotoguzzi said:

...video ist Ihrem land nicht verfugbar...

"Video is not available in your country". I was afraid that might be the case. It is from the Mediathik from Arte, a German-French state-owned broadcaster. Funded with public money, and apparently not available outside of the country. Same as the BBC and the Australian ABC. Pity....

The bunch of old farts call themselves "Deep Purple". I didn't know they are still playing concerts, and if I had known that they were in Stuttgart this summer, I might even have gone to see and hear them. B)

1 hour ago, audiomick said:

"Video is not available in your country". I was afraid that might be the case. It is from the Mediathik from Arte, a German-French state-owned broadcaster. Funded with public money, and apparently not available outside of the country. Same as the BBC and the Australian ABC. Pity....

The bunch of old farts call themselves "Deep Purple". I didn't know they are still playing concerts, and if I had known that they were in Stuttgart this summer, I might even have gone to see and hear them. B)

I used my VPN to georelocate in Berlin, so I don't get the message but the video still don't play. Some websites have the ability to spot VPN servers, because they always use the same IP number, unlike real clients which always have a different IP number. Since those VPN servers are used by many different VPN companies, they easily identify its a VPN and not an individual from the country.

Before, it was never an issue. I have used VPN services since 2015. But today, I can't even log into my bank account if forget to disable my VPN.

2 minutes ago, fotoguzzi said:

She has a nice pair of drum sticks 🙂

She would... she is Russian... the first time I went there, I was expecting mamushkas; instead, I thought I was at a fashion show.

• Haha 1

Shitty audio, though, that Moonlight Sonata.

As far as Debussy goes, always good. And Lang Lang, I've had him, I don't know, at least six times going through my mixing desk. Most recently at the "Klassik am Odeonsplatz" this year in Munich (again...).  Always a pleasure, that man. :)

17 hours ago, audiomick said:

Shitty audio, though, that Moonlight Sonata.

As far as Debussy goes, always good. And Lang Lang, I've had him, I don't know, at least six times going through my mixing desk. Most recently at the "Klassik am Odeonsplatz" this year in Munich (again...).  Always a pleasure, that man. :)

"Deutche Grammophon" is a solid brand for audio.

Given that Lang Lang married a German virtuosa Pianist, he must be spending plenty of time in Germany, even if I think he is based in Paris somewhere.

On 10/28/2023 at 10:38 PM, p6x said:

"Deutche Grammophon" is a solid brand for audio.

Yes, I know. :)

On 10/28/2023 at 10:38 PM, p6x said:

Lang Lang ...must be spending plenty of time in Germany...

He was all over the place here up until about 5 or 6 years ago. He was due to play at Klassik am Odeonsplatz back then (that also not for the first time), but had to cancel because of health problems. Tendonitis, I think.

Obviously, he is back at work now. I think he wasn't able to play for a bit over a year.

22 minutes ago, fotoguzzi said:

...s a lot of different sound out of the acoustic with his foot pedal.

That's not all that difficult these days. Added to that, he's got an "electric guitar" pick-up on there. There's a switch on the guitar, so there might be a more conventional "acoustic" pickup in there too.

I was much more impressed with how the banjo sounds. Banjos are quite difficult. That one sounds good.

The mandolin sounds ok, too, but the violin sounds really crappy. That's disappointing, because that is also not that hard if you use the right gear. :huh2:

20 minutes ago, docc said:

That fellow really has the pedals (and the tuning and the capo) mastered.

Yes, indeed. And he plays very well. By the way, I've listened to a bit more in the meantime, and yes, there is definately a conventional "acoustic" pickup in the guitar in addition to the visible "electric guitar" pickup.

As far as the violin goes, I've had to deal with much, much worse. One that I have had to deal with annually over the last decade or so only produces a small band around 3.5 kHz. I took to mounting a middle-priced headset mic on it (because it happened to be there one year...), and that made a world of difference.

Yes, I understand that a violin too prominent in the mix can absolutely dominate. That's not what I'm talking about, but rather the sound itself. My weapon of choice would be one of these.

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/instrument/4099-instrument-microphone

The violin in the video does have a mic on it, which may or may not be one of those. But it is not pointing at the right part of the violin to get a sound that actually sounds like the instrument should sound.:huh2:

Ok, I'm picky, perhaps even a bit of a snob. Comes with the job... B)

PS: @docc I think I might really enjoy sitting down with you over a beer or three and philosophising over music and sound and such-like really important things in life. :)

• Thanks 1

"Halloween" here in The States. Not sure what that means to the rest of the world.

Hell, I'm not sure what that means here! Or even where I left my Green Manalishi . . .

• Like 1