What [music] do you listen to? Share your favs

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/10/02/tom_petty_was_rock_s_best_writer_of_opening_lines.html

He was maybe the best writer of first lines in all rock music.

“Well, she was an American girl,” begins his second single, “raised on promises

That ability allowed him to compress his character sketches into diamonds. The lover in “Refugee,” laying his cards on the table: “We got somethin’, we both know it, we don’t talk too much about it.” The Southern wastrel of “Rebels,” protesting, “Honey, don’t walk out, I’m too drunk to follow.” The one who made it out, announcing his return in “Down South”: “Headed back down south, gonna see my daddy’s mistress.” The last is a nine-word line that starts with a cliché and ends up establishing what could be the premise of a novel.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/10/02/tom_petty_was_rock_s_best_writer_of_opening_lines.html

He was maybe the best writer of first lines in all rock music.

“Well, she was an American girl,” begins his second single, “raised on promises

This kind of made me laugh, because it reminded me of something I read online not long ago about the origin of that line. One of the very few bits of rock trivia trapped in my brain.

From Wikipedia:

The opening line lyric "raised on promises" echoes a line of dialogue in Francis Ford Coppola's 1963 film, Dementia 13. Referring to another woman, the character Louise says (at minute 22), "Especially an American girl. You can tell she's been raised on promises."

Thank God this woman survived some rough years. I get the privilege of seeing her for the second time on Oct 1.

How was the concert?

It was great. She is beautiful, and in top form. She was warm, witty, funny, honest, energetic, and grateful. She sang most of the songs I wanted to hear. The contrast between her intimate and humble offerings juxtaposed with a sea of cell phone screens, was astounding. With the encore came "My California" which calmed the audience long enough for most to sit, stfu, and listen.

Looks like she's coming to a blues festival near you at the end of this month. (28th, Kaiserslautern) Oct. 1 was her last stateside show till February.

"My California", earlier this year

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do... so do the neighbors.

I just chanced upon this amazing live performance from 1970. Wow. I like it better than the studio version, which is saying a lot.

• Like 3

Thank God this woman survived some rough years. I get the privilege of seeing her for the second time on Oct 1.

How was the concert?

It was great. She is beautiful, and in top form. She was warm, witty, funny, honest, energetic, and grateful. She sang most of the songs I wanted to hear. The contrast between her intimate and humble offerings juxtaposed with a sea of cell phone screens, was astounding. With the encore came "My California" which calmed the audience long enough for most to sit, stfu, and listen.

Found that nice pic below. Quite ambivalent feelings in the audience :)

beth-hart-joe-bonamassa-live-in-amsterda

• 2 weeks later...

OKay guys, showing my age here. Picked up a few tunes recently.

I'll recommend two:  First is Leon Russell's last, "On a Distant Shore".   You might know he was part of the LA wrecking Crew.  He backed up everyone from Sinatra to Dylan.  So he decided to do full orchestration on his last album.  I think it's quite fitting.  Some songs are about love and moving on.  Some new songs and few standards like "Song for You" and "Masquerade".  I live in Okla and he and JJ Cale have always been in my heart.  Leon gives us all a fitting goodbye. 

Thank you Leon.   :thumbsup:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/review-leon-russells-on-a-distant-shore-is-a-powerful-goodbye-w504766

And then there is Van Morrison's "Roll with the Punches."  It features Jeff Beck (tastefully) on half the songs.  It's a really nice blues record.  He even shares the vocals on a couple of songs. 

Both are great.  Nice to sit on the patio and have a drink.  Thumbs up on both.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I saw Los Lobos last night.  It was a great show by a great band.  A different show than I saw last year opening for Tedeschi Trucks.  None of that abstract drunken Latin I enjoyed on Colossal Head ("Mas y Mas").  It was rock and blues, with David picking up the accordion for a few Conjunto songs in the middle.  The band ended with Dead medley of Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away" and "Bertha".  The encore started with "Cinnamon Girl" and ended with "La Bamba" / "Good Lovin" medley.

• Like 1