V11 Rebuild and customisation

knumbnutz

Evidently, if the main ground / earth / negative battery cable to the right rear of the gearbox is not well maintained, the electrical system grounds itself back through the (too) small wire in the loom.

IMG_2744.JPG

• Like 3

No, just a bit of grease

The main ground on mine was just under the small screw holding the seat release lock in place, it MUST be under a gearbox bolt or the loom will let out the magic smoke like the pictures show.

Thats what happened, the 150 Amps the starter draws finds it's way back to the battery through any small wire like the regulator ground.

I rabbit on about greasing the battery terminals with vaseline but that's another possible cause, if the main ground looses contact with the post through lead sulphide buildup what else can all those electrons

do but smoke up the small grounds still attached?

I did consider removing that regulator ground forcing the electrons to use the chassis/main ground but then I thought it might be the only thing saving the ECU from the high Voltage of the alternator

It just needs a bit of simple maintenance that's all.

• Like 3

Hi Guzzi brainstrust.

So ive got the electrical system done and before I run the engine, im turning it over without plugs in an effort to get oil pressure up.

I gave about 30 -40secs total over 5 attempts but oil light is still on.

Do i need to prime the system or it will self prime but just need more cranking time?

Ps : i lubed all the parts as it went back together but it was completely drained of oil during the rebuild including the oil cooler which is new.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If you put the oil pump together dry it may not be able to prime, but you said you lubed everything.

If you didn't fill the filter it will take a while.

If the oil level is dropping as you are doing this it probably just needs more cranking. You won't hurt much by continuing as long as you don't cook the starter. If the starter is cold I would give it a 30 second crank and see what happens.

well that was before breakfast this morning, and so after breakfast i tried again and maybe after 10secs the light went out and so oil pressure must be ok. Every subsequent check after was good too. Spark is firing on the plugs, so tomorrow morning  or  perhaps tonight.. hopefully ...fire in the hole.

I hope you have someone make a video so we can all "be there!"

Pretty exciting stuff! :mg::luigi:

Yeah . Will do. There's are a slight chance an alcoholic drink may be present in my spare hand too.

Down side, weather has turned shite. This weekend is the bike show. Theyll cancel the show if the rain continues... this is after 3 solid months without a drop. FFS...

• Like 1

well that was before breakfast this morning, and so after breakfast i tried again and maybe after 10secs the light went out and so oil pressure must be ok. Every subsequent check after was good too. Spark is firing on the plugs, so tomorrow morning  or  perhaps tonight.. hopefully ...fire in the hole.

When I was getting the Aero Engine primed,it took 30 seconds..which seemed like 30 minutes. :)

• Like 1

Where's the popcorn?

Oh what a day.

So van it to friends shop. Try running it and found the coils were firing wrong side. Typical 50/50 guess since the manual i had was in German.

So then swapped leads. Coughed.. no fuel.

Pump dead. Seized and fried. New pump fitted. Lucky a auto shop 1/2 mile down the road. Still now fuel. Injectors stuck.

Got them cleared. Runs.. stopped. Out of fuel as i only gave it a splash to check sealing .. more fuel.

Runs like treat.

Thats 6hrs inbetwee n getting a roadworthy and registration.