2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans Revival

Cdogger

While most of us refer to that as the "chin pad," I see my parts listing calls it the "plug block" (never noticed that before!), GU 011 04030

MG Cycle, in neighboring Wisconsin, is a good parts source (but not in the dealer network), also: AF1 Racing in Texas, and Moto International in Seattle. There are a others and you'll find one you like the best.

With rodent damage, I would second Kiwi_Roy's recommendation to carefully inspect the wiring.

I also noticed that the rubber pad by the fuel filler cap had been chewed up by squirrels. What is it that part called so I can order a new one? Thanks. 

that's not good. get into that airbox and check for mouse condos.

Fried a diode, that's quite common, caused by a flakey relay IMHO however don't go ordering a lot of parts until you have had time to check it out properly, I wouldn't order the OEM Ducati Energia in any case.

With all the lists you have been given you will be busy for a while.

No matter what condition the bike appears to be in, they are a pretty special machine and well worth taking a bit of time over.

Post some pictures when you get your hands on it.

Fried a diode, that's quite common, caused by a flakey relay IMHO however don't go ordering a lot of parts until you have had time to check it out properly, I wouldn't order the OEM Ducati Energia in any case.

No matter what condition the bike appears to be in, they are a pretty special machine and well worth taking a bit of time over.

Yeah I'm pretty pumped to get this thing going. My uncle actually had a new Ducati voltage regulator but he never got around to fixing it. 

I don't actually have my motorcycle license yet so all I can do is sit on it and rev it. I may have to wait until spring to drive it.

Just wondering... do you have much experience riding? If not, can I please suggest the following:

1. Take a motorcycle safety class. Many classes include portions of (or all) the license requirements. I think it varies state by state.
  2. Buy a smaller, used bike and ride it everywhere for a few months.  Dual-sports (such as Suzuki DR400s) are great learner bikes, nobody cares if you drop them a few times, and there's always a market for them.  Then sell it when you feel comfortable on the V11.
  • Like 5

I don't actually have my motorcycle license yet so all I can do is sit on it and rev it. I may have to wait until spring to drive it.

Just wondering... do you have much experience riding? If not, can I please suggest the following:

• Take a motorcycle safety class. Many classes include portions of (or all) the license requirements. I think it varies state by state.
  • Buy a smaller, used bike and ride it everywhere for a few months. Dual-sports (such as Suzuki DR400s) are great learner bikes, nobody cares if you drop them a few times, and there's always a market for them. Then sell it when you feel comfortable on the V11.
Yeah I do have some riding experience. I am taking a safety class.
  • Like 1

• Take a motorcycle safety class. Many classes include portions of (or all) the license requirements. I think it varies state by state.
  • Buy a smaller, used bike and ride it everywhere for a few months. Dual-sports (such as Suzuki DR400s) are great learner bikes, nobody cares if you drop them a few times, and there's always a market for them. Then sell it when you feel comfortable on the V11.
I do really appreciate the suggestion though. Right now I'm really just concerned with getting the bike running. I'll continue practicing in the meantime.

While most of us refer to that as the "chin pad," I see my parts listing calls it the "plug block" (never noticed that before!), GU 011 04030

MG Cycle, in neighboring Wisconsin, is a good parts source (but not in the dealer network), also: AF1 Racing in Texas, and Moto International in Seattle. There are a others and you'll find one you like the best.

With rodent damage, I would second Kiwi_Roy's recommendation to carefully inspect the wiring.

Hey man thanks for the info  :grin:. I'll get looking for one!

Thanks for the help here I really appreciate it. I was wondering if a bad relay could also cause the battery to drain? The only other thing I can think of that could cause that is a short. Thanks again.

Yes if one of the relays stuck closed it would drain the battery, it might have been the bad regulator also but they usually go open, you'll soon figure it out.

Unlike a lot of other Guzzis the VII is fairly well fused, a short should take out a fuse and protect itself.

Yes if one of the relays stuck closed it would drain the battery, it might have been the bad regulator also but they usually go open, you'll soon figure it out.

Unlike a lot of other Guzzis the VII is fairly well fused, a short should take out a fuse and protect itself.

Fantastic! I will post some pics of it when I get my hands on it.  :mg:

One thing that springs to mind, after sitting several years the fuel pump may be gummed up and refuse to turn but don't despair they can usually be coaxed into life again, don't try to pull it apart, they are a sealed unit.

As Docc says the relays are due for replacement, buy all 5 pin variety as they will operate in any slot.

Carefully identify the fuel level sensor under the tank, many of these have been burnt out by owners mixing the cable up with the electric petcock, it's expensive to replace, perhaps leave it unplugged until you need it.

The fuel sensor is the one closest to the front, the electric petcock is a chrome device with a hose attached, the wires have been known to snap off these where they exit the epoxy, ty-wrap the wires to the body so it takes the strain off where they exit.