Fantasy time

Craig

The jury is in.  I dropped the sump this morning and the oil filter was sitting free in the sump.  Last time I changed the oil I didn't put the hose clamp on the filter.  Pure laziness on my part.  The are plenty of metal flakes in the bottom of the sump to tell me the several bearings are toast.  I will need to completely tear it down to see how bad it is.  If my luck changes none of the journals will be damaged.

Measure the o.d. of the filter and get one . The filter seal is probably around o-ring instead of a square o-ring .

This is notorious for coming loose . I know how to tighten oil filters ,  I have installed as many as anyone on this site . Mine has a hose clamp SECURING it and my knowledge it is not coming loose.

Oh crap.

I assume you're going to want to do some improvements to the motor, which could take a while. I still have the complete motor from my parts bike. Do you want to borrow it so you'll have something to ride while you rebuild yours? Or if you want to buy it, we could talk about that too. I'm taking my daughter back to Flagstaff, AZ for school next weekend, we could drive through Phoenix with the motor in the truck - and meet you there.

This makes me want to put an oil-pressure gauge on my Scura. I really like having the oil pressure (and voltmeter) on the Lemans. The warning light basically only works when it's too late. A pressure gauge tells you what's going on.

Measure the o.d. of the filter and get one . The filter seal is probably around o-ring instead of a square o-ring .

This is notorious for coming loose . I know how to tighten oil filters ,  I have installed as many as anyone on this site . Mine has a hose clamp SECURING it and my knowledge it is not coming loose.

so your recommendation is any hose clamp that fits? thanks

@Scud, I always thought if a guy could put a higher psi sending unit for the oil. I believe stock is 5-8 psi. Of course it might flicker at idle if it was much higher than 10.

That way you wouldn't have to add a gauge and all that.

Personally I like the simplicity of the v11 dash.

• Like 1

This makes me want to put an oil-pressure gauge on my Scura. I really like having the oil pressure (and voltmeter) on the Lemans. The warning light basically only works when it's too late. A pressure gauge tells you what's going on.

The Motratech kit has been on my wish list for a while.  I hate idiot lights, and this one just prove to me why.  Oh well.  I almost have the engine out.  Hopefully I will have it torn down by the end of the day so I can get a decent assessment of everything.

I will try to assess this engine and get back to you about your spare. 

should you decide to, I'd like to follow the process:) did you add to the LM or was it already on it?

@Scud, I always thought if a guy could put a higher psi sending unit for the oil. I believe stock is 5-8 psi. Of course it might flicker at idle if it was much higher than 10.

That way you wouldn't have to add a gauge and all that.

Personally I like the simplicity of the v11 dash.

My LeMans maintains over 20psi at idle (since I fixed my internal pressure problem).

I agree that another gauge might not look good on a naked bike, but a set of multi-gauges would be nice (like the motratech).

Too bad Speedhut doesn't make a 3 3/8 Speedo/Oil Pressure combo gauge. I'd buy that.

should you decide to, I'd like to follow the process:) did you add to the LM or was it already on it?

I added the gauges to my LeMans - and tried 2 different versions for the oil pressure. There is a lot of room for gauges behind a LeMans fairing. Details are in the Installing Speedhut Gauges thread:  http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19038&page=3

I have only heard that screeching sound you describe once in my life.

From my Norge.

After oil pump failed.

Sigh.

Buon fortuna.

Bill

The jury is in.  I dropped the sump this morning and the oil filter was sitting free in the sump.  Last time I changed the oil I didn't put the hose clamp on the filter.  Pure laziness on my part.  The are plenty of metal flakes in the bottom of the sump to tell me the several bearings are toast.  I will need to completely tear it down to see how bad it is.  If my luck changes none of the journals will be damaged.

Condolences on the engine damage, but lets turn to the lessons learned particularly with regard to oil pressure gauges. With the oil filter lying free in the sump you have been riding around with no oil pressure for quite some time. The filter doesn't' unscrew and drop off in the 30 seconds you rode since you filled up. So either you missed the oil pressure warning light that was on for some time or it wasn't working. I think you mentioned when you tried to restart the LOP light wasn't on when you turned on the ignition'? ( bulb out?)

If your going to miss an LOP light then you'll probably miss the gauge that's reading zero as well. As for the information a gauge gives you well I think there's more people worrying about oil pressure readings than anything else on the board. The truth is if the LOP light comes on you will have just as much time to react as a gauge reading zero all of a sudden as would have been the case here. It wouldn't have shown LOP for a while and given you any warning and even if it did for 20 or 30 seconds you probably wouldn't have seen it anyway while concentrating on the road.

There's a reason NO mass produced motorcycles are fitted with LOP gauges and thats because they are basically a waste of time and create more concerns than they are worth.

Despite what people think an engine wont immediately run it its bearings when the LOP light comes on, it has a lot to do with how the engines is operating at the time, but lets be honest, how much time do you spend or want to spend looking at a gauge or light.

Check before every start that the LOP light is on, put a hose clamp on your filter and make sure there isn't 2 gaskets fitted, keep the LOP wiring connectors in good condition, replace the LOP switch when it shows signs of leaking and all will be fine without silly gauges.

Ciao

• Like 1