Hot hot hot

voycie

I have the same experience in New Jersey every time I get stuck in traffic on a HOT day.  Coughs and sputters. Once enough to blow the intake collar off the throttle body.

The worse was when I had a FBF air filter kit installed.  The intake is right between the hot cylinders.  In stop and go traffic not good.  I removed it and went back to the stock airbox with snorkels that take air from the front of the engine.  Much better but still coughs at times.  Always wondered if installing pods would make this worse.  I imagine it would so I will probably stay away from that mods (although I would like to giver it a try someday).  

Any pod guys out there experience this issue during slow hot going?

Re: pods.  Yes I have pods and I also experience pretty bad sputtering at low RPM's in hot weather. 

FWIW - my Scura had some sputtering at idle (following some sustained hard running) yesterday coming through the Mojave Desert at 110F (43C). It's got stock airbox with snorkels, stock map, pipes, etc.  The CO trim has been at -68 since I've had it. Thanks to SwooshDave's post in the Basic Tune Up thread, I finally figured out the trick to changing the CO trim and set it to 0 (you have to be patient, which is not one of my virtues). She seems to be idling better already - but I haven't given it a proper test.

I'm with you Scud...I had my CO at +30 and reset it to zero and it runs much much better.  Smoother acceleration, much less engine braking when releasing throttle, and mileage has improved...plus no dying at idle any more after running for longer stretches.  Just feels like it breathes much better...

It's been over 100˚F the last two days. Too hot for recreational riding. It's supposed to cool off to riding temps in a few days.

There are several fires burning in the Western US right now. I saw a crew checking a still-smoldering hillside in the Kern River Valley on Friday. And today there are two new fires in Southern CA, one North of LA and one along one of my favorite roads (Mesa Grande) in San Diego County.

and there's still snow in the Sierras?

Yup. I rode by that fire, which was at about 2,000 feet elevation on the Western slope of the Sierras. About 50 miles later, I was at the pass at 9,000 feet - water was running across the road and there will still some small snowbanks in shady areas. The snow is year-round at about 12-14,000 feet. They're still skiing further North in the Sierras at Mammoth Mountain - 2 feet of snow at the base (9,000 feet) and 12 feet at the summit (11,000 feet).

Then, when I dropped down the Eastern slope it got hot hot hot... in the Mojave Desert.

Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, Flood, Fire, and Drought.

You forgot Earthquake season.

You forgot Riot season too.....

California... land of fruits and nuts... producing over 90% of many of the nation's edible fruits and nuts (and vegetables too)... and possibly more than its fair share of people who are certifiably nuts (self included).