If you couldn't have a spine frame, what Guzzi would you pick?

Motojezek

I have an 8v griso and a T3 cafe racer, to complement the v11. In fact the V11 is the newest addition to the stable.

If there wasn't such poxy photo size limit, i'd put up some pics

Use a host then, no limits.

Well i'll buck the trend here and go small:

I'd quite like a v50 monza. In that nice silvery blue.

I even quite like the 350 imola (2 valve, mai oui). I looked at one for the missus years ago that had some fancy pipes on it- awesome, sounded like a hummingbird ferrari!

...I would have a BMW R1200s for sure....

For me that would definitely be the day I quit motorcycling. As if this thread wasn't hard enough already ...

Of which day do you speak?

Don't know, realy, can't imagine that.

What I could theoretically imagine is me owning a 1200 Sport, black. Theoretically.

Well i'll buck the trend here and go small:

I'd quite like a v50 monza. In that nice silvery blue.

I even quite like the 350 imola (2 valve, mai oui). I looked at one for the missus years ago that had some fancy pipes on it- awesome, sounded like a hummingbird ferrari!

Here's mine..hanging out with her big sisters.  Not nice silvery blue, though. I've never seen one of those..

28450420434_d4b11af14f_c.jpg2016-08-18_02-45-05 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

• Like 2

I might be able to contribute here as I've owned several of the bikes mentioned:  I currently own a (black) 1200 Sport and a Scura.  Previously I owned an 8 Valve Griso and a Breva 11.  They all do have separate personalities.

The 2 closest are the Scura and Griso 8V.  I had both in the garage at the same time.  Sold the Griso and kept the Scura.  But you might feel differently.  Both are bad boys.  The Scura the badder of the two.  The last of the red hot Guzzi's.

The Breva and Sport 1200 are based on the same platform, but aren't very similar.  The Breva is soft and comfy.  I called it my "cruiser."  The Sport is much more athletic and much faster.  It feels as fast as the 8V Griso but has a broad torque curve w'o the 2 step 8V power band.  I'm not sure why Guzzi built the 8V motor with it's problems.

In a nutshell:

Scura: the sportiest and baddest of the bunch.  Great for weekends and twisty roads.  Charisma in spades.

Griso 8V; a larger, refined Scura.  Ok to tour on.  But it's a power cruiser at heart.  Closest in feel to a V11.

Breva 11: One of the best touring bikes I've owned.  Did a Saddlesore 1000 on mine and it barely broke a sweat.  But a Scura/Griso leaves it dead when the road starts to curve.

Sport 1200: The handling and power of a Griso/Scura with the touring ability of a Breva/Norge.  IMHO the cream of the Carcs.

I hope that helps.

Mike

Guys, I'm curious about the 1200 Sport, educate me on the bike & it's engine; where did it come in the evolution from the V11 Sport ?

>Guys, I'm curious about the 1200 Sport, educate me on the bike & it's engine; where did it come in the evolution from the V11 Sport ? 

Moto Guzzi made the V11 platform that spawned an number of bikes.  The Daytona - Centaruo - Sport 1100 - Sport - LeMans.

They replaced that platform with the Carc platform that spawned 3 models: Breva - Norge - 1200 Sport.  (The Griso/Stelvio use a different frame)

The original bike was the Breva 1100.  An 1100cc standard style motorcycle.

The next bike introduced was the Norge.  A touring bike with full fairing.  It went thru various refinements and 2 engines, a 1200cc 2 valve and a 1200cc 4 valve.  

And the last model was the Sport.  It was based on the Norge, not the Breva.  It featured a tuned 1200cc 2V motor with petal brakes, free flow exhaust, sport suspension, tube bars and a headlight fairing instead of the Norge full fairing.  It was only imported in the US in 2008 in black or red.

I hope that helps.

Mike

I might be able to contribute here as I've owned several of the bikes mentioned:  I currently own a (black) 1200 Sport and a Scura.  Previously I owned an 8 Valve Griso and a Breva 11.  They all do have separate personalities.

The 2 closest are the Scura and Griso 8V.  I had both in the garage at the same time.  Sold the Griso and kept the Scura.  But you might feel differently.  Both are bad boys.  The Scura the badder of the two.  The last of the red hot Guzzi's.

The Breva and Sport 1200 are based on the same platform, but aren't very similar.  The Breva is soft and comfy.  I called it my "cruiser."  The Sport is much more athletic and much faster.  It feels as fast as the 8V Griso but has a broad torque curve w'o the 2 step 8V power band.  I'm not sure why Guzzi built the 8V motor with it's problems.

In a nutshell:

Scura: the sportiest and baddest of the bunch.  Great for weekends and twisty roads.  Charisma in spades.

Griso 8V; a larger, refined Scura.  Ok to tour on.  But it's a power cruiser at heart.  Closest in feel to a V11.

Breva 11: One of the best touring bikes I've owned.  Did a Saddlesore 1000 on mine and it barely broke a sweat.  But a Scura/Griso leaves it dead when the road starts to curve.

Sport 1200: The handling and power of a Griso/Scura with the touring ability of a Breva/Norge.  IMHO the cream of the Carcs.

I hope that helps.

Mike

While you're at it Milar, could you address the "2 step 8V power band". What is that, and could you give any further insight to the differences in the 4V and 8V?

In a nutshell:

I hope that helps.

Mike

While you're at it Milar, could you address the "2 step 8V power band". What is that, and could you give any further insight to the differences in the 4V and 8V?

Thanks for asking.  The 8V motor is plenty strong, but really comes alive in the higher rpms.  Here's a link to the dyno chart showing the steep power curve starting around 4500 rpm.  http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/09_hd_guzzi.jpg I couldn't find a couldn't find a chart for the 1200 Sport.  But it starts pulling harder at the bottom and the curve is flatter.  It's a matter of taste which you prefer.  I happen to like a lot of torque off the bottom.

The other issue is the failure of flat tappets in the early 8V motor.  Moto Guzzi finally switched to roller tappets around 2013 (?), but the first years of the 8V motor are subject to failure and should be converted to roller tappets.  Moto Guzzi does provide a kit, but does not do it as a recall item.  The 4V has no such issues.

Here's a link:  https://www.classaction.org/moto-guzzi-lawsuits

Mike

So the "2 step" description could be seen as a 'leveling off' of sorts, till 4500 when the thrill kicks in? (link was a dead end). maybe not unlike my '69 Kaw Mach III 2 stroke triple that would bring up the front wheel at speed, much to the chagrin of my passenger. :o

and... Are all (post '05) 1100's 2v per cyl (4V motor), and all 1200's 4v per cyl (8V motor) ?  There is much flotsam on the web re: the flat tappet problems, and various comparisons, but many conversations leave out the basic details. And, is the Breva 1100 motor the same internally as our pre '05 V11 motor? Thanks for your patience. :bier:

2009-Moto-Guzzi-Stel2E263F1.jpg

I might add the 1200 4V motor is rated at 95 hp, the 8V at 105.  Mostly at the top of the rev range.

I did find a Stelvio dyno chart.  It's the 8V motor.  Note the steep power curve beginning around 4K..

I might add here, the difference between the 2 is purely personal.  You might find the 8V more entertaining.

I'm just trying to point out there is a difference in power characteristics between the 4V 1200 and the 8V 1200.

It's noticeable when riding.  There was an 8V 1200 Sport.  But it was never imported.

>Are all (post '05) 1100's 2v per cyl (4V motor),

Yes 

>and all 1200's 4v per cyl (8V motor) ? 

There are 2 1200 motors.  One with 2 valves per cylinder and one with 4 valves per cylinder.

Mike

So, for one thing, it sounds like the answer to the original post "What (newer) Guzzi would follow the V11?" has been nominated: 1200 SPORT!

And the 4v/ cylinder was never imported to the US in a 1200 Sport?

("There are 2 1200 motors.  One with 2 valves per cylinder and one with 4 valves per cylinder.")

("There was an 8V 1200 Sport.  But it was never imported.")

So, for one thing, it sounds like the answer to the original post "What (newer) Guzzi would follow the V11?" has been nominated: 1200 SPORT!

That's what Admin Jaap is riding too.  I found another thread about it:  http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19071