Moto Guzzi Enthusiast Royal Enfield Thread

I'll be curious about the dealer network and, of course, the MSRP. I'm kinda turned off by current Guzzi dealerships as I'd have to go from Indianapolis to Cincinnati to reach the closest one... As with any new type I  think I'd wait a while to see about the bugs getting worked out...

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Speedfrog said:

That big radiator though... :not:  

The power of the 650 single was comparable to the RE twin, it also sounds good. One of the coolest features of the British Small Arms Goldstar 650 were the clocks turning “under”.  

I don’t know how attractive a feature the down-sweep gauges is, I find it weird and confusing to look at. I guess you’d get used to it.

Like someone famous here said not too long ago, as with music or women, it’s a good thing we don’t all have the same taste.

As for the power these engines put out, although these bikes aren’t at all about absolute power output, the RE 650 twin is notoriously under-stressed and can easily be brought up to breathe a bit more with proven simple mods. 

And with its Harris Performance designed chassis the RE 650s have been reported as excellent handling machines.

It’s common knowledge that Royal Enfield also has a history of firearms manufacturing in the UK, closely related to BSA in fact, but please spare me the guns logo on my motorcycle, I don’t want my fun and joyful passion to be associated with a death tool.

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Speedfrog said:

I don’t know how attractive a feature the down-sweep gauges is, I find it weird and confusing to look at. I guess you’d get used to it.

Like someone famous here said not too long ago, as with music or women, it’s a good thing we don’t all have the same taste.

As for the power these engines put out, although these bikes aren’t at all about absolute power output, the RE 650 twin is notoriously under-stressed and can easily be brought up to breathe a bit more with proven simple mods. 

And with its Harris Performance designed chassis the RE 650s have been reported as excellent handling machines.

It’s common knowledge that Royal Enfield also has a history of firearms manufacturing in the UK, closely related to BSA in fact, but please spare me the guns logo on my motorcycle, I don’t want my fun and joyful passion to be associated with a death tool.

BSA produced the "Brown Bess" and her daughter known as "Black Betty" for whom a famous British marching song was named, that later became a negro field song and even later a famous rock song.

• Confused 1

I'm kinda with the reviewer. No real preference. I prefer the RE motor concept 270* crank, I'll bet it sounds lovely and I love twins. I'm not in love with the look however, as much as I am the BSA. Don't care for the BSA radiator but it's an advancement I'm wiling to accept. The concept of smallish/retro/standard is the only point I can consider and address, and that puts the BSA in front for me... I like that they embraced their Arms heritage coming back to market.

TBH my interest in bikes in that category is firmly in the vintage originals. If I were to cave and opt for reliability and newness I'd go for a used W650 or even a new W800.  For now my 1980 XS650 is occupying that space nicely.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, footgoose said:

TBH my interest in bikes in that category is firmly in the vintage originals. If I were to cave and opt for reliability and newness I'd go for a used W650 or even a new W800.  For now my 1980 XS650 is occupying that space nicely.

I suspect your W650 is much like having a Honda GB500. Fun, interesting, reliable and my GB has kept me from buying lots (and lots) of other bikes . . .

• Like 4
4 hours ago, docc said:

I suspect your W650 is much like having a Honda GB500. Fun, interesting, reliable and my GB has kept me from buying lots (and lots) of other bikes . . .

Very much so docc. I love the style of the classic standard. So many iterations to choose from. When I'm tempted with something new, I look back at mine and wonder what's the point in chasing what I already have.

Early concept pic, some things have changed. it has mufflers now:luigi:

IMG_0173.JPG

• Like 6

Love the bike.

My first new bike purchase was a '77 xs650. $1999. Learned all about carbon brushes on the side of I-8 around 3AM. Packing for road trips was......creative.

IMG_300%20(4).jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2