25 Years Later: 1996 Ducati 900 SuperSport SP Meets 2021 Ducati SuperSport 950

Good read. Interesting that they showed a magazine from 1996 comparing the Ducati to a Moto Guzzi Sport. Those were competitive options when new. The design of the slab-side 900 is a classic. Will still look good for years to come.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Twin AH said:

I will never forget my big harry chested 996S

Ridden in anger at a younger age (read eye site ) it was torturous but wonderful.

Ciao

“There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them—but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous.”

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
On 6/1/2023 at 7:20 PM, footgoose said:

“There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them—but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous.”

Exactly what I thought about. HST had a Beemer R1100RS parked in his garage during that article's photo shoot; burned into my memory...

• Like 2

I took my 939 Supersport out today.  It's just a marvelous bike, light, seamless, stable, agile, balanced, quick, stylish.  Certainly the best bike I've ever owned and for what it is, the best I've ever ridden.  A total sweetspot.  

Tomorrow, I'm taking the Greenie to the Cars & Coffee deal.  

I was thinking about getting one of the custom licence plate holders with an inscription "Song of the Sausage Creature" ot some similar nonsense.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, billgreenman1 said:

Exactly what I thought about. HST had a Beemer R1100RS parked in his garage during that article's photo shoot; burned into my memory...

HST has a spot in my memories as well. I've read all his books and a few other writings, including accounts of him by others. Questionable motives, questionable methods. I'll just say that I think he was a very, very good writer. Steadman is an original master.

The 96 CR was/is my fav

IMG_03991.jpg

• Like 3

30 years ago...One of  3 -900  Supersports I owned. back in the day ,My favorite 1993 ..I took this pic on the way to Laguna Seca  in  in 1995..( before cell phone cameras) ..The bike taught me a lot about riding.  I have a 2022 950 SuperSport S now...love the bike but have the MG affliction so it rarely gets ridden.

Screenshot 2023-06-03 at 8.00.09 AM.png

• Like 4

When I was getting back into bikes again, a 900SS was on the shortlist along with the original Triumph Speed Triple....

Had every intention of test riding all three but never made it past the V11 Guzzi!

Just blown away with it.

And I couldn't even ride it at the time as it needed to be complianced for Oz...( I fired her up and that was enough...)

Anyways I still like these Ducs.

Cheers 

Ps I was biased toward a Guzzi anyways after falling in love with Mk 3 back in 80's and riding a Mk 5 later in that decade.

Took a while to get a Guzzi but she's here to stay.

• Like 4

I liked ..but then ,I bought  an MK 5 in the late 80's..the bike ran and looked great..but the brakes and suspension imo were awful..I didn't keep it long...

Ha ha and then there's the bloody throttle on the Mk 5....

Heavyish and needed 2 grabs for full noise and you had to be careful not to do it too fast!

I'm glad I waited for a V11 eh!!

Cheers 

• Like 2
On 6/1/2023 at 6:20 PM, footgoose said:

Well stated................ And I'm loving that moto art.
Ciao
  • Like 1