ScuRoo

Here’s a really nifty vid which got the old noggin thinking - & which may inform our choices far more than merely oil viscosity weights &/or brand preferences.

Such a lot of gems in their over 200 vids collection https://m.youtube.com/@TotalSeal I’ll park this resource here for helpful or interesting browsing.

👍😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A tantalizing presentation. Lots of interesting suggestions but little helpful information. What coatings are good? What is that "better oil"? The only takeaway I got was "ZDDP (zinc additive in oil) increases friction but decreases wear", which suggests that more is not better.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MartyNZ said:

A tantalizing presentation. Lots of interesting suggestions but little helpful information. What coatings are good? What is that "better oil"? The only takeaway I got was "ZDDP (zinc additive in oil) increases friction but decreases wear", which suggests that more is not better.

You beat me to it...

I usually stop watching these kind of "mingle" "chatty" videos after 30 seconds.

The information is drowned into a flow of words; on top of that, Lake Speed Jr. has a voice that scratch like sand paper....

I've got enough headaches & things to read, watch & do.  I'll stick to whatever the least expensive oil I can find that meets the vehicle manufacturers spec.  I've been riding for over 50 years and several hundred thousand miles, in that time, like many of you and have never had oil related engine problems.  I guess I've been lucky...did I just put the maloik on myself??!!

Art

Way too much info for me. I've been playing with ICE since I was 14 and never had an oil wear or friction problem. Most of the oil I have used over the years are Castrol products. If I have one oil related fault, I probably drop my oil sooner than recommended. Still can't wrap my head around advertised 10,000 mile oil.

• Like 1

No way ! I was at a get-together and there was a girl there with an Audi and she TOLD me , the Audi oil would go 10k because her manual and the Service Dept. told her it would. After a couple of minutes I left her alone and said "good luck" .  

5K on synthetic is all I will go . Oil is not that expensive .

• Like 3

FWIW, the service schedule on our Prius was oil and filter every 10K miles. It was at 140K when we gave it to our granddaughter, and the oil was still clean between changes and it wasn't burning any. :huh2:

I more or less follow the schedule.  I used to change it earlier.  I check how dirty it is.   My Duc says to go to 9k.  Since it used a quart at 4k, that seems a little too much.  Usually change it 4-5k, very easy to do.  But I use blended rather than full synth oil- still meets the standard grade according to the owner's manual. 

As I was saying , oil / filters are not that expensive . I have never ruined an engine by frequent oil changes . 

It is a free country .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chuck said:

FWIW, the service schedule on our Prius was oil and filter every 10K miles. It was at 140K when we gave it to our granddaughter, and the oil was still clean between changes and it wasn't burning any. :huh2:

Well maybe I can learn a lesson from that...we have an Avalon and Camry now and had many other Toyotas. I might ease into this gently.  I'll push it to 7500 on the Camry.:luigi:

Surprised nobody has mentioned this guy, re understanding oil

https://www.youtube.com/@LubricationExplained

IMHO calm rational explanations in many areas

He has had the Lake Speed guy on one of his videos (Arrrgh)

I have had issues and changed lubrication grades and suppliers of liquid gold a few times with the HiCam engine.

No clue if it will increase engine longevity, but from monitoring pressure and temperature I do know it makes a difference.