My V11 seemed to run perfectly on 87 Octanes (Regular) gas rating... strange?

p6x

26 minutes ago, MartyNZ said:

That sticker you posted says "91 RON".

That equates to 87 (RON+MON)/2, which is the rating system used in USA & Canada.

So 87 is all that we need then.

I assumed the marking meant ((RON+MON)/2) since it was for an export vehicle for the USA. I was wrong.

7 minutes ago, p6x said:

So 87 is all that we need then.

I assumed the marking meant ((RON+MON)/2) since it was for an export vehicle for the USA. I was wrong.

Where is that sticker on your V11, @p6x ?

Mine either doesn't have one or it was on the original swingarm . . .

5 minutes ago, docc said:

My 2000 V11 Sport Owner's Manual has this awkward jumble:

Recommended [fuel]:           Supergrade petrol (97 NO-RM/min.)

Unleaded Petrol (95 NO-RM/min.)

> First of all, I have no idea what "Supergrade" refers to except that it is contrasted with "Unleaded." Is "Supergrade" leaded gasoline?

> No mention of ethanol.

In Europe, in 2000 gas named Super, was short for "Supergrade".

In 2000 Ethanol was not compulsory in gas. It came in 2005 in the US. Not sure about Europe.

Today, for cars, you either have E5 or E85.

2 minutes ago, docc said:

Where is that sticker on your V11, @p6x ?

Mine either doesn't have one or it was on the original swingarm . . .

Left hand side of the swing arm.

Doesn't the operator's manual says what gas you are supposed to run? I did not get one for my V11 2004, and the ones from the web, I can't assume they are correct for my millesime.

@MartyNZ

Therefore, I have been running my V11 with Gas that wasn't required.

Good catch!!!

Who knows, maybe that will solve my 3000 fuel injection issue?

Table US to EUR Ron

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, p6x said:

Left hand side of the swing arm.

Doesn't the operator's manual says what gas you are supposed to run? I did not get one for my V11 2004, and the ones from the web, I can't assume they are correct for my millesime.

I quoted my 1999-2001 Owner's Manual language, above (with terminology/formatting questions). That is for the early Sport/Rosso Mandello. These appear to require 91 AKI/ 95 RON.

The only major change I can think of in the V11 Sport/LeMans model range that might affect the minimum octane requirement is that late V11 spray oil under the piston crown.  I could imagine that cooling effect could lower the octane (anti-knock) requirements on the fuel. :huh2:

10 minutes ago, docc said:

I quoted my 1999-2001 Owner's Manual language, above (with terminology/formatting questions). That is for the early Sport/Rosso Mandello. These appear to require 91 AKI/ 95 RON.

The only major change I can think of in the V11 Sport/LeMans model range that might affect the minimum octane requirement is that late V11 spray oil under the piston crown.  I could imagine that cooling effect could lower the octane (anti-knock) requirements on the fuel. :huh2:

Do you know the compression ratios? is there any difference? maybe the internal head combustion chambers have a difference geometry?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, p6x said:

Do you know the compression ratios? is there any difference? maybe the internal head combustion chambers have a difference geometry?

AFAIK, the heads/valves did not change. But, yes, IIRC, the compression ration increased from 9.5:1 to 9.8:1 (along with the piston oil spray). Your question makes me wonder just how did they change the compression ratio: different head/combustion chamber, or (as I had assumed), a different piston crown . . .  :huh2:

This is the first discussion (that I recall) of the possibility the octane requirement may have also changed . . .

12 minutes ago, docc said:

AFAIK, the heads/valves did not change. But, yes, IIRC, the compression ration increased from 9.5:1 to 9.8:1 (along with the piston oil spray). Your question makes me wonder just how did they change the compression ratio: different head/combustion chamber, or (as I had assumed), a different piston crown . . .  :huh2:

This is the first discussion (that I recall) of the possibility the octane requirement may have also changed . . .

It makes me wonder, how many of us have ran their V11 with Premium when it could have gotten away with regular all along....

However, higher compression ration should mean detonation retardant fuel...

Why wouldn't 9.5:1 not work with 87 Octanes US, if it is required for 9.8:1? only because the piston is cooled by an additional oil spray for cooling?

• Like 2

Up here Shell V Power 98 octan, it says E5 on the pump, but has no bioethanol. Shell E10 95 octan with 10% bio.   Esso also have 98 octan.   Circle K only E10.   Some of the rescue organizations have started to complain about like an ATV or similar been sitting for some time, and having starting problems, water.

Well I use 98octan, probably not neceseary when I read what some of the smarter guys explain.  Something from earlier days hanging in there, leaded fuel and 104 octan in the RB Mopars  :rasta:.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomchri said:

Up here Shell V Power 98 octan, it says E5 on the pump, but has no bioethanol. Shell E10 95 octan with 10% bio.   Esso also have 98 octan.   Circle K only E10.   Some of the rescue organizations have started to complain about like an ATV or similar been sitting for some time, and having starting problems, water.

Well I use 98octan, probably not neceseary when I read what some of the smarter guys explain.  Something from earlier days hanging in there, leaded fuel and 104 octan in the RB Mopars  :rasta:.

Cheers Tom.

The V11 can easily handle 10% Ethanol because in the US fuels can have between 10 and 15% Ethanol.

There is the E85 which is meant to have 85% of Ethanol. This one is for those vehicles that are said to be "Flexfuel".

From what I read, all gas vehicles manufactured in Europe at this moment use E85 by default. The cheapest option. The other option is E5, supposedly with 5% Ethanol. There seem to be no longer any distinction between regular, super, premium.

Wow, but we are using different scales to compare fuel octanes.

Like, "I ride around at 100 on the speedo all the time, at 65 degrees."

Oh, but that is mixing kilometers per hour with degrees Fahrenheit . . . :huh:

Not at all like riding 100 mph at 65ºC ! :o

Let's see if we can discern that the actual fuel octane recommendation from the manufacturer may have actually changed from the early V11 (1999-2001) to the later models with the higher compression and piston oil sprayers.

My "early" Owners' Manual appears to specify 95 RON (~91 AKI/US) . . .

• Like 1