Moto Guzzi V100 Stelvio 2024 - Updated 11-Dec-2023

p6x

Here's the next V100 which will be presented at the EICMA this year.

At least they got rid of the foldable slats. There will be other colors I am certain.

I can't tell why, but I am still very fond of the V11 and if I can get more space, I will get a Stelvio but the 1200 NTX, not the V100.

Moto Guzzi V100 Stelvio

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Not a fan of two wheeled SUVs, but I really like the new drivetrain. If they make a sporty V11 sport style V100 we might have to consider it. But we already have four Guzzi's plus a Ducati and two baby Husky's, not sure at our age we need another.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Speedfrog said:

Have you given up on the Quota?... :ph34r:

It is a concours de circonstances...

I was initially looking for a Stelvio; either red or if not, at least orange. Then I got redirected to the Quota, and found one that I liked in Boise. But it was black. Back from Idaho, I went to consult with the people running MPH Cycles in Houston. Mike and Davey. Mike was not really encouraging me to get it, because of the scarcity of spares.

There is a 1200 NTX Stelvio orange which I am tracking since the beginning of the year. The price has already been reduced once, to just a tad below the 8k mark. It is a 2016 model, 29k miles, one owner. I have worked out how much it is going to cost to replace the bearings of the CARC, about $1200 USD, so I would like to ideally get if for below 7500. However the seller is a dealership, and they seem to think that it is going to eventually sell for 8k.

Now if a red Quota was to materialize, I may change my mind again. But you see, I am really drawn to the 320 miles autonomy of the 1200 Stevio with the large tank. I have now experienced the anguish of running out of gas while riding the back-roads of West Texas. So much that I had to refill with 87 Octanes because that was all there was available. Most of us live in large cities, or close by, and here in this part of Texas, I don't even need to look at my trip. The light comes on, there is a gas station around. The same does not hold true in rural Texas. There people have trucks, with gas tanks that go up to 36 gallons and autonomy in the 700 miles. I took the US-90 from Alpine last year, and I refilled each time I saw a station. I did not want to risk it. They only have gas in the larger cities. Nothing in between.

9 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

Not a fan of two wheeled SUVs, but I really like the new drivetrain. If they make a sporty V11 sport style V100 we might have to consider it. But we already have four Guzzi's plus a Ducati and two baby Husky's, not sure at our age we need another.

There is an intruder in your roster....

This is the one that you need to swap for a V100?

Seriously though, the "Adventure" bikes are those that are selling like hot cakes, or at least in Europe. The BMW GS is top of the listings. I get your analogy with SUV's though. This year is the Stelvio, next year we can maybe imagine they will come up with a V100 Le Mans?

They even have their own events, such as this one in the French Alps: unfortunately, the subtitles are in French too. They have a display of the Yamaha Ténéré that won the Paris-Dakar with Stephane Peterhansel.

11 hours ago, p6x said:

I can't tell why, but I am still very fond of the V11 

Just a WAG; you probably like smooth flowing curvy design lines in a motorcycle; if so you're not alone.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, p6x said:

I can't tell why, but I am still very fond of the V11 and if I can get more space, I will get a Stelvio but the 1200 NTX, not the V100.

+1 - and the Stelvio NTX is a great bike. It's getting the most use from my stable, and I have a new suspension all staged to install (hopefully will make some progress on that this weekend).

39 minutes ago, p6x said:

The BMW GS is top of the listings. I get your analogy with SUV's though.

A GS is a SUV. "Sports utility vehicle", i.e. a vehicle that looks like it is good for anything, but actually is only good for the trip to the supermarket.

The target customer is the same for the GS as for the 4 wheeled variety too. I.e. not me.  B)

13 hours ago, audiomick said:

A GS is a SUV. "Sports utility vehicle", i.e. a vehicle that looks like it is good for anything, but actually is only good for the trip to the supermarket.

The target customer is the same for the GS as for the 4 wheeled variety too. I.e. not me.  B)

I would beg to differ; as with anything that was conceived as a compromise, the "Adventure" Bikes, or at least some of them are able to do better than the proverbial trip to the Supermarket; in French, we say "only good to get the croissants", alluding to what traditional French used to do before. One in the family made the run to the Boulangerie to get the fresh bread and the croissants. Not the Baguette, but the Ficelle, which was the one used for breakfasts.

I was recently reviewing the Triumph Tiger line up. They have two distinctive lines: the GT and the Rally. The GT obviously for those who are more touring oriented; the Rally for those who are serious about being able to travel the non paved roads. We do have lots of those in Texas. I rode them on my Le Mans, and while not impossible, the riding is cumbersome.

Here, in H'town, almost everybody has a SUV, which are mostly very large vehicles. Having been working in countries with deserts and no roads, I did experience the runs with Land Rovers and Land Cruisers when those were real 4x4 vehicles.

I have never ridden an Adventure bike per se. However when I was in Sicily, I had the opportunity to ride equivalent of the XR650L in the remote villages there, and on the beaches. But I think those are named "Dual Sports" in jargon? I don't know if a GS or a Stelvio 1200 can be effective on sand, probably only with experienced and fit drivers.

But as far as SUVs are concerned, I am with you. The initial purpose of the 4x4 vehicles has now been completely mutated into comfort and asphalt.

• Like 1

Back to the V100 Stelvio, I would have thought they had incorporated all the usual crash protections which are never required because these bikes never see terrain.

Or maybe it will be part of the long list of options?

The big GS is a remarkable motorcycle. I've ridden a few and I do like them, but not as much as my 2017 Stelvio NTX. I routinely go grocery shopping with the Stelvio... which means 40 minutes of twisty roads to the orchards in Pauma Valley. And return with a 25 pound bag of oranges (love my fresh-squeezed OJ) and whatever else is in season. 

I suspect this new Stelvio is the base model, and that there will some variants, such as another NTX with more aggressive tires, skid plate (look at that vulnerable exhaust) and all the crash bars.

A big ADV bike is nice for dirt roads that you'd rather not ride a sport bike on - where there is a bit more risk of losing traction and kissing the ground. They are great for exploring past the "pavement ends" signs, but not great for technical terrain.

• Like 3