Moto Guzzi V100 Stelvio 2024 - Updated 11-Dec-2023

p6x

1 hour ago, docc said:

Is there still any CARC Moto Guzzi being built? Any of the 1200 "BigBlock" except leftovers on showroom floors?

Even the 1400: are any still being constructed?

If you take for reference the official Moto Guzzi site in Italy, the only production models are the V7, V9, V85 TT, V100 Mandello; so we could safely assume the 1200 and 1400 cubed Vs are obsoleted. For good reason too; the V100 which will debut in the Stelvio is equipped with an O2 sensor to comply to Euro 5 emissions. It makes sense that none of the former big blocks could pass Euro 5.

Will we see larger capacity blocks in the future?

Will we see a café racer using the V100 engine?

The V85 TT and the Stelvio V100 will cater to two different groups of riders. Moto Guzzi follows the trend which sees every brand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, p6x said:

It seems like all the media people had access to the pre-production bikes at the same time.

MOTO JOURNAL... They fooled you with their big yellow placard -- *EXCLU MONDIALE *  -- :lol:

Moto Journal was my favorite moto publication growing up, I always loved their non conformist and somewhat rebel spirit within the moto-journalism world even if their sense of humor could be a bit raw and cheeky at times. For years, I would anticipate getting their weekly rag every Thursday which I inevitably read cover to cover before day's end... only to wait another week for the next one - - - - - That was waaay before the internet.:oldgit:

9 hours ago, Speedfrog said:

MOTO JOURNAL... They fooled you with their big yellow placard -- *EXCLU MONDIALE *  -- :lol:

Moto Journal was my favorite moto publication growing up, I always loved their non conformist and somewhat rebel spirit within the moto-journalism world even if their sense of humor could be a bit raw and cheeky at times. For years, I would anticipate getting their weekly rag every Thursday which I inevitably read cover to cover before day's end... only to wait another week for the next one - - - - - That was waaay before the internet.:oldgit:

You are from these days too?

I remember there were only two weekly magazines at the time: Moto Revue and Moto Journal. Both of them have merged with Internet publications. However, in our Moto Club, you were either reading one, or the other. But not both.... lol....

Today, I am a subscriber of many "paper" monthly magazines from various origins.

When I lived in Italy, I was a Motociclismo and Motosprint subscriber. I still read Motociclismo. (By the way, they too, say they have tried the Stelvio in "Esclusiva Mondiale"....https://www.motociclismo.it/esclusiva-mondiale-prova-moto-guzzi-stelvio-2024-83559

Here in the USA I have subscribed to a local publication, Ride Texas more for support than for its contents.

But I am still a big fan of paper over DPI.

As for getting had by MJ, I did not expect them to have any exclusivity. The way PR is done, they invite all the professionals in a single session. I found interesting that YouTube did target me, because I have certainly searched a lot of contents about the Moto Guzzi Stelvio, even if not the V100 one....

The Big Blocks with the history that stretches back to 1967 are no more. I'm not certain when the last 1400's were built? I'd think 2018/19 at a guess. The CARC series ceased all production in 2016 but all models other than the Griso I think stopped in 2014 as none of the other models were built using the Cali 1400 sump which the Griso adopted in 2015.

The truth of the matter is that the 'Nuovo Hi Cam' in both 1200 and 1400 form was never going to be able to meet €5. I love the motor but I'll be the first one to tell you that it is inefficient, thirsty and dirty! It's side draft porting and long cam overlap mean that cylinder fill is compromised in a large part of the rev range and pipe harmonics are crucial to performance, (Some of you may be familiar with my carpet-chewing, spittle-flecked ranting about the unsuitability of 'Shorty' exhausts put on Griso's for styling purposes!). Even at the optimal point there is still a considerable loss of unused incoming charge that, due to the head design, simply gallops across the top of the piston and exits the exhaust valves rather that filling the cylinder and producing work. That means fuel economy is shit and those hydrocarbons are wasted just dirtying up the environment.

Even with air injection as used on the last of the 1400's they were a dirty thing, made worse by people putting loud, unbaffled pipes without Catalytic converters on them so they sounded like a shipping container full of farting elephants!

No, the Big Blocks are gone and I reckon the Smallblocks won't be far behind. Thing is neither will I so it doesn't worry me unduly and within twenty years internal combustion, at least of fossil fuels, will have been consigned to the dustbin of history anyway! And good riddance! Anybody who is an 'Enthusiast' will still be able to get fuel for their old vehicles but as a day to day option they simply won't exist. That's fine, people will have newer and different vehicles and toys. I am always amazed though by how far things have come in my lifetime as far as vehicular propulsion has gone. If you'd told me as the spotty kid on his first moped that when I retired I'd be riding a motorbike that effortlessly made twice the horsepower of my dads car from an engine only two thirds the size I would of looked at you as if you were barmy!:lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Insightful and entertaining as usual Mr. Roper. Just a fine point, I don't know when Moto Guzzi stopped manufacturing, but my 2017 Stelvio is a CARC bike, and it was the end of the line for that iteration of Stelvio.

• Like 2

Yup, they kept selling them until '17 and stated that as year of manufacture but I believe they were simply 'New old stock' from Italy.

When I was at the factory in 2016 the only big block motors sitting around in crates, (I think by then all component build work was being done elsewhere, probably Noale and the finished components shipped to Mandello for the final assembly.) were Cali 1400's and Griso. They may of still been doing some smallblock building but I saw no evidence of it I can remember.

Thing is this was, even then, not unprecedented. None of the 8V 1200 Sports were ever produced with the Roller Tappet top end. Now in markets they were sold in they continued to be sold and plated as a current model year bike right up until 2015 but all other models swapped from flat tappets in early to mid 2012. Late model, post 2011, Sports had all the changes to the motor that the last, pre roller, engines in other models had. Just small stuff like the rockers were re-designed and, from memory, that is the time the breather plate sealing system was changed for just two examples but they all still had flat tappets which suggests to me they were all manufactured prior to the swap to the roller top end. By then the factory knew that all flat tappet top ends would fail and as soon as they had spare production capacity after the initial sales spurt of the launch of the Cali 14 they started using the roller top end in everything else. Why not the Sport? The only logical explanation I can see is that by then the Sport was an exhausted product but rather than modifying them they decided, probably because they weren't sold in the heavily litigious United States, to just push them out the door in other markets to mug punters and let them wear the consequences. 

• Like 2

On 10/28/2023 at 7:04 AM, pete roper said:

...I'm not certain when the last 1400's were built? I'd think 2018/19 at a guess.

Sounds right to me.

On 10/28/2023 at 7:04 AM, pete roper said:

so they sounded like a shipping container full of farting elephants!

Brilliant description. Hits the nail right on the head, and is just what I needed to describe the sound of most Harleys here.  :grin:

• 1 month later...

From my December 2023 issue of Moto Magazine;

In their opinion:

• If you liked the V100 Mandello, you will automatically love the V100 Stelvio
  • Piaggio reinforced the Mandello to offer a package better suited for travel
  • Same engine, 115 HP with 80% of the torque available at 3500 rpm.
  • Maintenance intervals 12,000 km
  • Main difference with the Mandello: reinforced final transmission (Cardan), suitable for off-road excursions although suspension travel is not exceptional; 170mm max. The press kit does not mention the possibility to install the electronic suspensions available on the V100 Mandello S. Last, the engine is attached to the frame by four mounts instead of 2 for the Mandello and the tank has four more liters (21 liters).

More comfort, more technology:

• Better driver protection; Guzzi declared 1500 hours of simulation to get an optimized fairing, with the top windscreen electrically adjustable within its 70mm amplitude operable up to 150 km/h.
  • Moto Guzzi introduced a lot more technology with the Stelvio, some of it will be optional: radar adaptive cruise control including an emergency braking function should traffic ahead stop or slow down unexpectedly; blind spot monitoring with visual warnings on both the rearview mirrors and the dashboard. IMU six axes which will compensate ABS if you are in a curve; five drive modes including an off-road that only leaves the ABS on the front wheel and almost no invasive traction control. More importantly, you can disable all or any of the functions you don't like. The front beam has a function that focuses the light on the curve's inside.
  • Dashboard is 5 inches TFT display.
  • Available in two colors: yellow / black
  • Full set of accessories including luggage, comfort seat, heating grips and seat, fall protection and shifter. I read somewhere else that Guzzi improved the shifter.
  • Wet weight: 246 kg. Seat height 830mm (don't know if it can be adjusted).

• Like 1

• p6x changed the title to Moto Guzzi V100 Stelvio 2024 - Updated 11-Dec-2023

@Joe while I am not certain that I like the sound of the Agostini exhaust, I got that he installed a mix of Mistral header pipes, combined with the Agostini slip-ons.

I don't understand why he "refrains from riding the bike yet".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, p6x said:

@Joe while I am not certain that I like the sound of the Agostini exhaust, I got that he installed a mix of Mistral header pipes, combined with the Agostini slip-ons.

I don't understand why he "refrains from riding the bike yet".

I agree not sure what’s going on here but, this is one of the 1st video’s w custom pipe on the V100 motor that I have found. Still sounds good. 👍🏼 

Got a mail from Mistral a couple of months ago regarding the Y pipe. Mapping was not ready yet. I still like the look of the stock muffler.

heers Tom.

• Like 1

What are Agostinis thinking. You could drive a truck between those new header pipes and the cylinder block. Nicely shaped and tucked in they are not. A tighter bend to get the pipe closer to the block and tucked in won't have any affect on the performance gains if there are indeed any at all. As for the sound, far too loud. If it sounds loudish revving at a standstill on a whiff of throttle then under load with the throttle blades really open it will be obnoxiously loud. The clue is in the size of the muffler. You can't efficiently silencer a 1000cc twin with a muffler of that physical dimension. 

It saves weight but the trade off is noise and headers that stick out like a set of crash bars.

Phil 

• Like 3