teslas killing Motorcyclists

And, yet, ICE emissions have included the impact of discarding used lubricants leading many manufacturers to extend motor oil change intervals excessively and declare transmission and differential oils "lifetime fill" in order to effectively limit their fleet emissions ratings.

Let us not, then, neglect to consider the "emissions" impact of the unplanned-for discard of all of these batteries as they age out . . .

• Like 1

There is so much mis-information about EVs. People make up stats showing their environmental impact that use lots of assumptions. But then when they compare the EV to the ICE vehicle they somehow don't use similar assumptions about the ICE vehicle.

The reality is EVs are cleaner when you look at the entire life cycle of the vehicle. If you want to make a pro-ICE vehicle argument you might want to use a different angle then being environmentally friendly. That is a comparison that, if made honestly, the ICE vehicle will loose.

• Like 2

Of course it will. 

We are at a possible crossroads of EVs & ICEs in the transportation industry. There can be natural gas , hydrogen power , etc. also. I don't want it to be mandated where you only get two choices or worse , one choice . 

An EV would be cool to have but I don't think I would want one as a primary vehicle.

14 hours ago, gstallons said:

Of course it will. 

We are at a possible crossroads of EVs & ICEs in the transportation industry. There can be natural gas , hydrogen power , etc. also. I don't want it to be mandated where you only get two choices or worse , one choice . 

An EV would be cool to have but I don't think I would want one as a primary vehicle.

No doubt tech will continue to progress, and I suspect in 10 or 20 years the current tech will seem primitive. Hydrogen needs a breakthrough to make it viable for anything as small as a family car. The space required to store hydrogen is much greater then other options, like a way to make it stay a liquid without being super cold, then there is the danger of compressed hydrogen. I have no desire to give up our ICE vehicles. But then, no one is asking us to. But when we needed a daily driver car after looking at the options we went with an EV as it was the best option from a financial point. And it also works really well from a practical point. We do have ICE vehicles for longer trips where the EV is less practical. But for days where we are driving less then 300 or so miles the EV is generally the option we go with. We don't need to drive more then that in a single day too often.

• Like 1
On 12/20/2023 at 12:19 PM, KINDOY2 said:
I read this today...

Here comes the Tesla battery.
To produce it you need to excavate:
12 tons. of rock for Lithium
5 tons. of cobalt minerals
3 t. of mineral for nickel
12 tons. the mineral for the copper
Need to move 250 tons. of land to obtain:
12 kg of Lithium
13.6 pounds of nickels
22 kg of manganese
6.8 kg of Cobalt
100 Kg of Rams
200 kg of aluminum, steel and plastic.
The Caterpillar 994A used to move this earth consumes 1000 litres of diesel in 12 hours.
Here is the “zero emissions” car.

That doesn't seem right! What's your source? 

2 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

Lost it now..that was a couple days ago..I read a lot of stuff daily and at my age ..short term memory is probably my weakest attribute.

Pretty sure it was on this site...https://www.mining.com/all-the-mines-tesla-needs-to-build-20-million-cars-a-year/

3 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

Ha doesn't seem right! Here's another fact for you. To go to a full electric/renewable economy the world will need a 400% increase in the mining and production of Copper alone over and above what we currently produce. It takes on average 17 years from inception to digging the first ton of ore for a copper mine and the people that want to close down fossil fuel energy production are also the people that want to close down mining! Ever seen the steel and concrete used in anchoring down a wind turbine? Go and look on youtube at that and count the energy costs. To give you some idea its a hole in the ground about 75 metres across and 30 metres deep full of concrete and steel reo and we haven't even got to the building of the tower and generator which are high maintenance items even land based. The blades are life limited and currently are disposed of in land fill! Utopian dreaming.

Phil    

• Like 3

@Lucky Phil I went looking for info on that bloke in the video.

Found this about the "Manhatten Institute"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Institute_for_Policy_Research

and enough about the speaker to recognise with a reasonable amount of reliability that he is a hard-core conservative capitalist.

I'm not saying he's telling fibs, but I'm convinced he's pushing a pretty big barrow. B)

6 hours ago, audiomick said:

@Lucky Phil I went looking for info on that bloke in the video.

Found this about the "Manhatten Institute"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Institute_for_Policy_Research

and enough about the speaker to recognise with a reasonable amount of reliability that he is a hard-core conservative capitalist.

I'm not saying he's telling fibs, but I'm convinced he's pushing a pretty big barrow. B)

Without a doubt. 

Phil

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a follow-up article in the Washington Post today, about the software update deployed by Tesla to address the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration concern with crashes while on autopilot.

The journalist verified the upgrade after it was uploaded on his own vehicle.

During his drive, he verified that he was still able to activate the autopilot in an urban environment where it was not conceived to operate in. While the update was supposed to force the driver to keep his hands on the steering wheel and his eyes on the road, he was able to have the autopilot on while keeping his hands off for longer than one minute at a time, and obscuring the interior camera that checks that you are paying attention.

The journalist's conclusion is: (snippet from the Washington Post dated 31-Dec-2024, author Geoffrey A. Fowler)

I found we have every reason to be skeptical this recall does much of anything.

• Like 2

Column driving with EV over the mountains, good luck  :rasta:.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1