I bit the bullet, and spent the bucks!

No mate. I moved to Germany in 1996. I bought the jacket when I was in Melbourne over Christmas and New Year 2005 / 2006. That was a kind of "10 year anniversary" visit. The receipt came home to Germany with me in the luggage.

I'm pretty sure I wore the jacket during the trip back, because it would have made the luggage too heavy. :whistle:

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, audiomick said:

No mate. I moved to Germany in 1996. I bought the jacket when I was in Melbourne over Christmas and New Year 2005 / 2006. That was a kind of "10 year anniversary" visit. The receipt came home to Germany with me in the luggage.

I'm pretty sure I wore the jacket during the trip back, because it would have made the luggage too heavy. :whistle:

Thank god for that. I moved house literally around the corner 18 years ago and tossed out just about everything so I could buy stuff all over again.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In Melbourne before the move, I had the Z900, and two Kawasaki 2-Stroke triples. One almost complete, but buggered, and the other a basket case. And everything else that one accumulates over the course of 15 years or so.

I made the move with a backpack, and one carton of stuff that I sent ahead. And AUD2.000. Fresh start, more or less. B)

I dread to think of what it would mean to move back. That is not impossible, but...

Currently 4 motorcycles, the car, the household goods. :huh2:

Anyway, we were talking about the advantages of high quality leathers here. :whistle:

• Like 1

I still wear my first motorcycle jacket, but only casually (not riding). A heavy leather Hein-Gericke Dakar in antique brown, it is an impressive piece of kit worn with my black Stetson on a blustery day. It's lack of armor failed to impress me in a crash with large farm dog on my GB500 back in 2002. The damage settlement led me to order a custom, quality race-grade leather jacket/pants set from Z-Leathers in California.  Like @Lucky Phil, my modern textile riding suits have proven more versatile, so the Sport-matched Z-Leathers remain in embarrassingly good shape after twenty years.  To their credit, they performed admirably when I crashed the Sport in 2003. (I would like to think I have the "crash" thing out of my system!)

I do love the leathers!

IMG_4163%202.jpg

• Like 3
On 11/27/2023 at 9:56 PM, Lucky Phil said:

Modern materials have made the classic leather jacket a bit outmoded in every respect but style.

Same could be said for my V11 and a lot of other things I own. And the jacket in original post is very stylish.

However, my most versatile jacket is a mesh one by Joe Rocket. It came with removable vest and water-proof insert that is also great for making it wind-proof on colder days. My perforated Vanson has zip-up windflaps that cover the perfs. Both have built-in armor, including back protectors, and the Vanson armor seems far superior to the Joe Rocket. The Vanson also wins on style points.

• Like 4

I've never owned a high quality leather riding jacket;especially something as stylish as the OP's. :thumbsup:

For a short time way back in the day,I wore a tan colored Brimaco(?) MC jacket,bought at local dealer's going out of business sale.

I suspect that with the quick rate the threads rotted away,it probably was on the rack since the shop's opening day :grin:

Historically,I usually wore some type of loose sport team leather coat that I could add sweaters or vests as needed;back then,that served me well.

I didn't crash a lot like some guys,most of my biking incidents were on dirt bikes.

For my one & only high speed,road bike get off,I laid down my Yamaha XS1100,while wearing an old leather hockey jacket;we all escaped without major damage,I think the extra patch scuffed off the back of the jacket,probably just added to the,working class,worn patina look I was successfully going for :rolleyes:

The riding Gods,made sure that when I got back into riding almost a decade ago;I would be well protected on this,the second chapter of my riding life.

As I was getting back into riding & buying used bikes & gear off Kijiji,I bought a used Shoei helmet from a kind,french gentlemen from Quebec named "Guy" who happened to be getting out of riding.

As I'm slipping him a small amount of cash for the crappy old Shoei helmet,he hands me a bag with his well used red/black Rukka suit. I knew zero about quality gear,it was a few years before I realized the magnitude of his thoughtful kindness & generosity.

The red in that old Rukka suit has faded to pink long ago. It has a patch over hot exhaust pipe damage,,the clasps on the zippers are mcgyver repaired as needed,one zipper on the leg cuff gave up the ghost long ago,,, a simple reminder to take my time getting into my gear properly,,,it's not a stylish piece of kit,but it's served me well.

:rasta:

• Like 3

…you guys are gonna laugh, it doesn't fit!

I was so excited, it came very quick, via FedEx. I open the box and at first think it's the wrong color, appearing very brown. It did say it's Oxblood, but it far too brown for my liking. Then I try it on and can't zip it, literally. If you met me, you'd really laugh, I'm a skinny guy (5'10", 160lbs, 33" waist).

65 euros for return postage, swapping from a 40 oxblood, to a 42 black. Sheesh!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Bummer!!

That's the main problem ordering clothing sight unseen, nothing like trying it on and feeling, seeing or even smelling it. . . (leather...!)

Add all the different size standards between US, UK and Euro and the added burden of high shipping costs and delays when coming from overseas, you really have to take a chance.

Hope the new one fits you right!

• Thanks 1