New cam company

Pressureangle

Aye Caramba!

• Like 1

We should perhaps no be so arrogant about something like what is to be seen in that video. Obviously it is is not as precise as it should be, but I think we shouldn't underestimate the ability of the person doing the work. He apparently lives in a land that doesn't have the resources that we take for granted, and he only stays in business if the motors he works on don't explode after he works on them. :huh2:

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, audiomick said:

We should perhaps no be so arrogant about something like what is to be seen in that video. Obviously it is is not as precise as it should be, but I think we shouldn't underestimate the ability of the person doing the work. He apparently lives in a land that doesn't have the resources that we take for granted, and he only stays in business if the motors he works on don't explode after he works on them. :huh2:

Don't get me wrong. I have a fine appreciation for people like this- in fact, I spend more than just a little time on YouTube looking at how complex technologies are handled in the third world. The tragedy amongst the comedy is how we first-worlders have lost touch with technology to the point that most would say this is impossible, won't work, won't last an hour, etc. because we think everything has to be CNC and assembled in a white lab coat in a climate controlled facility or it won't work at all. 

Anybody who's had a transmission scattered over the bed mat from a pickup truck under the headlights in the pits before Sunday's main event understands.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, docc said:

Heh, so "racing" is a kind of Third World experience? :ph34r: :race: :luigi:  :ninja:

It is at any level I ever achieved. :doh:

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

It is at any level I ever achieved. :doh:

You and me both. Try rebuilding Ducati cylinder heads in the pits at a racetrack, hand grinding the shims to get the clearances right. Or hammering the frame to get it close enough to straight so you can rebuild the bike and race. So it turns better one way then the other, big deal. It was a Harley anyway, it really didn't turn that well to begin with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

You and me both. Try rebuilding Ducati cylinder heads in the pits at a racetrack, hand grinding the shims to get the clearances right. Or hammering the frame to get it close enough to straight so you can rebuild the bike and race (so it turns better one way then the other, big deal).

Wrecked an 883 once, it handled so much better after the crash- but could never get the top motor mount in it again... blew the engine in the Volvo 242 endurance car at hour 4 of the Nelson Ledges 24 hour and swapped the owner's wife's car engine out into the racer with rope and a 2x4 lol. Ah, the good ol' days. The call of the wild; "Anybody got a footpeg bracket? Front wheel? 8x25mm bolt? lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On the footpeg. And then your clever neighbour comes with a piece of threaded rod or long bold. "Whats that?" "Here 's your footpeg, dont bother the rear brake, we dont use it either,"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry for getting this thread too far off into the weeds, but way back when we were racing an 883 at Daytona we got to know a guy known as "Merlin" real well. I wrecked the 883 in the chicane on the back straight at near 100 mph. It was messed up. Merlin was at the track running a mobile machine shop. He was a great guy and was a massive help to us. It got to the point that when we walked up he just pointed us to whatever we needed and we did it ourselves. It was epic. That was the bike that was never right again, it turned better one way then the other because the front and rear wheels were no longer in line. The standard term was "Rub the new off it".

I have full respect for people that can do work like that without the standard machines and tools most people would require to do such work.

• Like 3

As a general comment I've watch a ton of these Indian manufacturing youtube videos and am amazed at the work they can do in manufacturing and repair when there is no OH&S to consider and there is often no other choice than to repair and refurbish anyway. However having said all that there's a massive gap between manufacturing/repairing a big diesel crank or conrod that turns at 2800 rpm max and a modern 15,000 rpm ICE engine. You can get away with some pretty crude work practices and tolerances in basic machinery. Full respect to them though, creative repairers.

I wonder how they will go with the transition to a renewable energy world. All totally on board and striving forward with it I would imagine. 

Phil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

I wonder how they will go with the transition to a renewable energy world. All totally on board and striving forward with it I would imagine.

Yes, definitely. The only really critical thing with an electric motor, as far as I can tell, is the balance. We all know that that is achievable with a fairly simple rig. They'll manage, I'm sure. :)