Keeping a bike in the house.

Does putting a bike in the house impart much objectional odor to your room or rooms? I would think that just the pipes in a smaller space wouldn't smell as nice as say, baking cinnamon muffins. Maybe you have to put some miles on first with bean oil. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, activpop said:

Does putting a bike in the house impart much objectional odor to your room or rooms? I would think that just the pipes in a smaller space wouldn't smell as nice as say, baking cinnamon muffins. Maybe you have to put some miles on first with bean oil. :rolleyes:

I kept my MV AgustaF4 and my 1000ss Ducati in the house. One in the lounge room and the other in the adjoining dining room. When the MV went the 1198 Ducati took it's place. No issues with odours or anything else. New girlfriends would be somewhat surprised at first then because the bikes didn't smell or leak oil or anything else and they realised they were quite benign they would forget they were there. I used to tell them they were kinetic art.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have an upright piano that isn't used anymore. It really needs to go and a special bike would look great there...except for the fact that my wife is not a lover of "kinetic art". :(

If the bike is prepared properly for the display, as in removing all liquids, it would not make a sniffing difference. Besides, as you know, the sense of smell is easily lost because it works on comparison principle. After a while, you would not notice any difference.

I had a friend who lived with a companion from the weasel family. You would enter is home and immediately notice the odor. But after some time, it would subside.

Obviously, back home, people would ask you where you'd been, because the smell would stick to your clothing but you would no longer be aware of it.

I have my 1989 Honda GB500 (Cycle World 600cc feature bike) on display in our house, full of oil, but zero fuel or battery; no smell at all.

• Like 1

That would depend on the bike(s), obviously. If the bikes is drained of fuel the risk of smell is reduced dramatically. But even there, modern bikes in the US have a vent system for the fuel tank that is designed to capture the fuel vapors. Fuel is probably the main possible source of an odor.

These are my two bikes in my living room. But they don't get run. So there is no fuel in them. I did add a secondary floor for them so if they do mess up the floor under them (Old Ducatis do sometimes mark their territory) it is not the real floor but a secondary floor that they are messing up. I did that with snap together flooring and some trim for the edge.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 3
7 hours ago, activpop said:

We have an upright piano that isn't used anymore. It really needs to go and a special bike would look great there...except for the fact that my wife is not a lover of "kinetic art". :(

They never do until they are forced to reset their notions of what's appropriate in a house. Every woman I've ever know at first look was horrified at bikes in the house including my mother and mother in law. Because they all had zero say in the issue, surprise, surprise they then just became non plussed about it and realised there wasn't a problem in reality. Sometimes you have to challenge the "models" people have in their minds.

Phil

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

They never do until they are forced to reset their notions of what's appropriate in a house. Every woman I've ever know at first look was horrified at bikes in the house including my mother and mother in law. Because they all had zero say in the issue, surprise, surprise they then just became non plussed about it and realised there wasn't a problem in reality. Sometimes you have to challenge the "models" people have in their minds.

Phil

There you go @activpop . . . A road map to matrimonial bliss and harmony . . . :lol:

• Haha 2

My wife keeps plants in the house. I don't mind. I keep motorcycles in the house, she doesn't mind.

A woman who won't allow a motorcycle in the house is not a "keeper".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

myWife is away for the weekend. Maybe I should slip a bike into the house and see how it goes . . . :whistle:

Anyone have a spare room? :huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Speedfrog said:

There you go @activpop . . . A road map to matrimonial bliss and harmony . . . :lol:

It was pretty simple. New Girlfriends either passed the bike in the house test or they didn't. The wife passed. What can I say.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Incidentally, I've never kept a bike in the house, but one time my house mates put my Z900 in my bedroom for a lark. It stank of fuel. Therefore, I reckon the advice to take the fuel out first, and maybe let it breathe a bit, is good. :)

19 hours ago, audiomick said:

Incidentally, I've never kept a bike in the house, but one time my house mates put my Z900 in my bedroom for a lark. It stank of fuel. Therefore, I reckon the advice to take the fuel out first, and maybe let it breathe a bit, is good. :)

I always kept the tanks 1/2 full and never had an issue. My bikes were modernish bikes with controlled tank venting though.

I'm quite interested in phycological "models" and keeping a bike in the house is somewhat a phycological model as mentioned. Google Ames room to see a demonstration of the power of the models people have in their minds. Applies to many thing including relationships.

Phil

• Like 1